Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I respect that we all use our cars differently, and have historical reasons for buying the K-spec we chose.

For perspective my reasoning was as follows -

I personally don't have the space, time or money to have a fleet of cars "for every occasion". In the past I have had recreational vehicles - V12 XJS; Series 3 Landie; racing MG; Scimitar for classic rallying (Lord help me!) - but I've kinda got that out of my system, and now want a reliable Do Anything & Go Anywhere vehicle at a sensible price.

I've had a couple of Range Rovers over the years, and to be honest they are probably my favourite all-rounder, but at £30,000 it's going to be 2nd hand and very unreliable - and that is something I DON'T want.

I went for Skoda because the Octavia had been a great, reliable, unpretentious vehicle.
I went for Kodiaq because the seating height lets me safely see over most cars in front; is available with 4x4 for use in Switzerland; and can comfortably seat 4 adults or 6 at-a-push.
I went for pokey 2 litre engine not because I habitually hare-arse about, but so I can safely get past a small convoy of lorries without following them for 20 miles, which I find frustrating.
I went for petrol because my previous experiences of owning diesels had been awful, and I like their eagerness to rev.

In practice I'm finding an unexpected bonus is how enjoyable and relaxing the car is, for driver and passengers. Yesterday evening drove 3.5 hours over a variety of roads from Bath to King's Lynn. Normally we would have a coffee break & stretch somewhere in a trip like that, but ability to see over hedges; ease of driving with ACC and DSG; and great seats made the one-hit trip a pleasure.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I agree entirely with the heading of your post. Some people here seem to want/think it is a sports car. As I have said before if anybody wants a quicker SUV then buy something more powerful. It seems to me (in the main) to be daft to buy a Kodiaq and then start messing about with the ECU.
The 'SPORTS' in SUV does NOT mean it is a sports car It means it us a utility vehicle for DOING sports, cycling, scubering etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi KodiaqPetrolHead,

Great summary.......and many of the same reasons why I've chosen the Kodiaq. I certainly don't NEED a car this size, but I like driving a larger car, the practicality of loads of space, and I've always enjoyed the raised driving position an SUV offers (having learned to drive overseas / off-road in a series of Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, Range Rovers, etc.).

And whilst not expecting a sports car, I certainly like something with a bit of poke and the ability to overtake.......glad I changed my order from the 190 Diesel to the 180 Petrol.....now just can't wait for delivery.

S.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No like button on the forum so I reply you just to say I like your post (KodiaqPetrolHead) very much. Quite the same reasons that drove me in buying a kodiaq unless some difference in engine and transmission. Ciao from Italy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice post. I agree with the title 100%! From my point of view:

I chose the Kodiaq because
- I need a 7-seater and am sick of MPVs, and want something less like a bus to look at.
- I need the back 2 seats to be 'reasonable' but don't have to fit adults in there.
- I need the boot space behind the 7 seats to be 'enough' as opposed to non-existant on Discovery Sport/x-trail
- I want an XC90, but am not prepare to pay at least 15k premium over Kodiaq for base model, or even 5k more base-spec 2nd hand high mileage car. Q7 the same.
- I want the car to be attractive to the eye (I'm not going near the 5008, Sorento, and others for similar reasons, in my opinion)
- I chose the diesel over petrol as i do 13k miles per year, commute is on dual carriageway to clear out DPF, and often have to shift 3+kids around (which will only get heavier!), and am happy that tax etc won't affect Euro6 engines for a few years yet - will keep the car for >5 years so residuals less of an issue. I'd go for the bigger diesel, but that's another 2.5k; i'd go for the bigger petrol but that's another ~1k plus the drop from 56mpg to 38mpg; happy with MY choice, after lots of consideration.
- everyone likes a few gizmos and gadgets, but not at the expense of an ugly dash/interior
- we're a one-car family, so has to be an engaging car that i WANT to drive rather than because i have to.

Above all, I feel i'm getting a great car, that ticks all the boxes (could be a 'bit' roomier in 2nd/3rd rows but that's about it), looks great to me, and all at a price that feels i'm getting all that i want for my money. First new car in 9 years since my (excellent) S-Max, and I can't wait. Approx 6 weeks to go i reckon...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guess I'll have my cake and eat it then with a remapped ECU that you all seam so fearful of :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Not fearful. Just don't need it, quite happy with what I've got.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I get mine I'll take a pic of the completed fleet.
At the front will be my 2 Brompton bikes, ones normal, one tweaked with a leccy motor that will do near 30mph on the flat.
Next will be my Lotus Elise, 15 years old now and just over 20k miles, each one fun.
Then the Skodiaq, which will be the main family car.
And in the rear will be the behemoth, a Peugeot Expert Tepee that we use for a business and fun. Was a wheelchair carrier, so has a ramp at the back and just 4 seats but can carry pretty much anything.

Think that'll do for a few years!

·
Registered
14 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
I respect that we all use our cars differently, and have historical reasons for buying the K-spec we chose.

For perspective my reasoning was as follows -

I personally don't have the space, time or money to have a fleet of cars "for every occasion". In the past I have had recreational vehicles - V12 XJS; Series 3 Landie; racing MG; Scimitar for classic rallying (Lord help me!) - but I've kinda got that out of my system, and now want a reliable Do Anything & Go Anywhere vehicle at a sensible price.

I've had a couple of Range Rovers over the years, and to be honest they are probably my favourite all-rounder, but at £30,000 it's going to be 2nd hand and very unreliable - and that is something I DON'T want.

I went for Skoda because the Octavia had been a great, reliable, unpretentious vehicle.
I went for Kodiaq because the seating height lets me safely see over most cars in front; is available with 4x4 for use in Switzerland; and can comfortably seat 4 adults or 6 at-a-push.
I went for pokey 2 litre engine not because I habitually hare-arse about, but so I can safely get past a small convoy of lorries without following them for 20 miles, which I find frustrating.
I went for petrol because my previous experiences of owning diesels had been awful, and I like their eagerness to rev.

In practice I'm finding an unexpected bonus is how enjoyable and relaxing the car is, for driver and passengers. Yesterday evening drove 3.5 hours over a variety of roads from Bath to King's Lynn. Normally we would have a coffee break & stretch somewhere in a trip like that, but ability to see over hedges; ease of driving with ACC and DSG; and great seats made the one-hit trip a pleasure.
...and the general reason for your post is...???

Nobody is expecting a sports car with a Kodiaq, not sure I see the reason for this, why not put your experiences in the Owners Register or New Arrivals Register?

·
Registered
221 Posts
My own reasoning is that:
-one car family
-tired of low height of Audi estate, makes it hard to get in and out multiple times when doing the school run
-2003 Audi A4 with 250k/km is getting unreliable, specially in the electronics part and some interior parts that are broken (glovebox door, arm rest cover, cup holder), but mostly the whirring sounds in 2/3 gears that anticipates the gearbox is about to go;
-7 seats to those occasions when we have to take our 2 kids and friends, or the occasional family visiting us from abroad.
-big boot in 5 seat mode cause we just can't get away without loads of (un)necessary stuff all the time
-diesel cause I don't like petrol even tough it'll be urban and low mileage - also I find the Irish TSI options poor and the road tax is more expensive as well as the extra consumption
-wanted CarPlay (Discovery Sport is no go here)
-wanted sunroof I can open (same for Disco, Ok it's big but doesn't open)
-wanted reliable brand that won't cost a hand in a few years to maintain when first problems arrive.
-good value for money
-would've have loved to go for 4x4 150 TDI but not available in Ireland, and the 190 TDI 4x4 has hogher roadtax and much worse fuel consumption
-wanted lane assist, ACC, towbar and full leds which on other brands just added up to a very expensive price tag
-like the Kodiaq exterior design (but don't think it has distinctive look, like the Ateca or Tiguan)

Essentially I could have gone for a Touran 7 seater but hey, they look so boring, even if best looking in their class.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting to see peoples reasoning for the Kodiaq, so here's mine
-Have had a Superb Estate 170dsg for the last 7 years and was looking for replacement. The Superb's all round ability and reliability put Skoda at the top of the list for replacement cars for me.
-The other cars I have looked at dont quite tick all the boxes (Audi A6 Estate too low to get in and out of and a loss of space to the Superb, E Class Merc very nice but expensive to buy and even more expensive to keep, Landrover Disco Sport too expensive compared to Kodiaq and likely to be less reliable, New Superb Estate ticks most of the boxes but is similar to what I have and all up weight is becoming an issue for me.)
-I have a caravan to tow and lots of kit to carry (awning, canoe, 4 bikes, 2 kids etc) so need space
-Superb is running very close to max weight with caravan and all the extras carried, Kodiaq will add a couple of hundred kg to gross and towing weights
-the way everything works (controls, computer, radio etc will be similar)
-I have two kids so don't need 7 seats, but it's nice to have the option and will occasionally remove the need for taking two cars.
-I enjoyed having one of the very first Superb Estates seven years ago, I will likewise enjoy showing off the Kodiaq!
-I have the luxury of regularly driving lots of different cars (particularly Audi, Mercedees, LandRover) but still feel that Skoda build is up there with any of them.
-I have an award winning dealer with a great service department
-I like gadgets!
-My wife can't argue with my choice as it is geared fairly and squarely as a car for the whole family! (sports car to come later)

Anyway, I can't change my mind as the deposit is paid and the car is somewhere in the UK en route to the dealer. I hope to have it in the next 5-10 days!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts