Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who dislike the stop/start system (who doesn't?)
There are two ways to get human control back.
1. In heavy traffic at a junction, if you need to make a swift departure from the side road.
Keep your foot on the brake and tug the steering wheel either left or right and the engine will restart and keep running with your foot on the brake.
2. To stop the system working completely.
Turn on the A/C and put the setting at odds with the ambient temperature. The the S/S won't cut in while the A/C is trying to achieve the set temperature.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
For those of you who dislike the stop/start system (who doesn't?)
There are two ways to get human control back.
1. In heavy traffic at a junction, if you need to make a swift departure from the side road.
Keep your foot on the brake and tug the steering wheel either left or right and the engine will restart and keep running with your foot on the brake.
2. To stop the system working completely.
Turn on the A/C and put the setting at odds with the ambient temperature. The the S/S won't cut in while the A/C is trying to achieve the set temperature.
.....or you could just switch off every time you start the car.
:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could....but if you are ancient, like me, I kept forgetting in the Yeti.
Because, apart from being very old, I am also a skinflint :lol: I am driving the K in eco. so you can't turn it off! every time you brake it comes back on again.
I am not too concerned as it is so much quieter and quicker to restart than the Yeti I don't really notice it.
I don't keep any car over 3 years old so if the starter burns out or the battery dies prematurely, I don't give a stuff. Skoda can pay for it. ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
You could....but if you are ancient, like me, I kept forgetting in the Yeti.
Because, apart from being very old, I am also a skinflint :lol: I am driving the K in eco. so you can't turn it off! every time you brake it comes back on again.
I am not too concerned as it is so much quieter and quicker to restart than the Yeti I don't really notice it.
I don't keep any car over 3 years old so if the starter burns out or the battery dies prematurely, I don't give a stuff. Skoda can pay for it. ;)
That's where your Kodiak experience tells then. I haven't got mine yet but should take delivery at the beginning of July as it is now at the dealership. I guess I will start learning after delivery then, although it maybe that I have to learn from the driveway of my home. Still got my hand/arm in a pot after breaking my hand so cannot drive yet. Hopefully it may change next week, when I return to the fracture clinic.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a bummer. Lovely new car on the drive and can;'t drive it.
Hope the fracture clinic lets you drive,
Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quite a lot of negative comments about the stop / start system on this forum. I've read the various comments (so no need to repeat them here) but I'm trying to get a sense of whether this is due to...

- people just not liking / not being used to any stop / start system (e.g. People not having had stop start previously)

Or

- is there something fundamentally different / wrong with the set-up and sensitivity of the stop start system on the Kodiaq versus other vehicles.

I'm used to stop start having had it on various cars (including my previous LR Disco Sport, fiancées BMW, multiple hire cars, etc.) and never really had any problems, but there seems to be a lot more negativity on this forum.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Having had it on 2 Octavia 3's (both DSG) I find it fairly easy to control, light brake pedal pressure will keep the engine running.

But......

I had a Superb 3 L&K for the day last week, and with the electronic handbrake it did seem to behave differently. In the O3 as soon as you take your foot off of the brake the engine restarts, in the S3 it didn't restart until you touched the accelerator, probably because of the electronic handbrake.

I could still control quite easily when it stopped the engine with the pressure on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It can be a pain in the backside when in rush hour traffic. Sometimes it is a bit too smart for its own good and kicks in before the car has even stopped. If braking reasonably firm on approaching a red traffic light the engine will cut out just before the car comes to a stop. This morning was the first time I switched it off on my morning commute. It does it around town as well...coming to a stop at a junction then you realise it is ok to proceed and the engine is off....little annoying but I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had same this morning - it cut out as I was coasting slowly towards a roundabout. The annoying thing as others have mentioned is that it also locks the steering wheel too. This was when in having a play with eco mode to push mpg into high 40s and it seems way more keen to switch engine off at slightest hint you might be stopping.

Not keen on it but getting used to it. In busy traffic I tend to disable it tbh

·
Registered
407 Posts
Having had ECO mode on 2 O3's I have spectacularly failed to achieve any better fuel economy with it than Standard mode, either on daily commute or long motorway runs.

As far as I am concerned it is a gimmick to tick the Green Box.

Either that, or it is the way I drive :)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy,
I was beginning to come to the same conclusion!
In a couple of weeks I will behave a few days in North Devon. I will spend 2 days on Eco and 2 on Standard.
That should give a fairly definitive answer with high speed cruising and lots of country lanes and Devon hills.
Your last sentence is interesting. I get the same consumption round town or on a fast A road 40 mile trip??

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Octavia 3 diesel DSG averages 60 on motorway runs (as long as you stay to 65-70), round town that drops to 40's. I've done the best part of 55k miles in it and averaged 50mpg. My last Octavia 3 diesel DSG averaged 50mpg as well, I only did 30k in that one though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I watched this 5th Gear video on Youtube the other day. They tested a car with Start/Stop ad found they went further on a litre of petrol, driving around town when they had Start/Stop enabled.

·
Registered
407 Posts
No doubt you will, but don't confuse Start/Stop with ECO mode, 2 completely different things.

I like Start/Stop, others don't. I think it is great with DSG but I couldn't see the point of it in a manual transmission really.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As one of only a few with a petrol manual I thought I would give my view.
Never had it before in any car and was convinced I would hate it.
Test drove a Kodiaq Diesel DSG and the Stop/Start was horrible and I hated it. Slow to pull out at junctions.
I was prepared to turn it off every time I drove my bear but I haven't noticed any difference.
Im guessing its working but in a manual it makes no difference and is extremely quick at junctions/roundabouts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still getting used to the bear but have found the stop/start to be okay. Have been driving a rented Seat Leon for the last few months and you really could feel the car stop and have a lag plus judder on restart.

The Bear is a lot gentler and quick to restart, except if I try it in eco mode. Seems to take a bit longer then, although nowhere near as bad as the Leon

·
Registered
132 Posts
My experience with the Stop/Start is it is so seamless most of the time I am completely unaware apart from the silence that the engine has stopped and restarted.
Skoda have got this working perfectly. The Scout I borrowed had a disconcerting lag. I very quickly turned this function off every time I drove it.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must admit that the K is FAR better S/S wise than the Yeti which was really clunky.
I still think it is just a nod to 'Greenness' though.
I shall know more after my few days in North Devon when I shall do 2 days in Eco with S/S working and 2 days in Normal and TRY to remember to turn S/S off. (It can't be turned off in Eco as every time you stop it kicks in)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had no problem with stop/start on my Yeti which was a manual. By the time I had it in gear the engine was running and
I was away. My Kodiaq however is a DSG and it's a right royal pain in the butt.
It's erratic as to when it stops and when it doesn't, it's jerky setting off and although i'm sticking with it to see if I can get used to it
i'm close to turning it off every trip.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I must admit that the K is FAR better S/S wise than the Yeti which was really clunky.
I still think it is just a nod to 'Greenness' though.
I shall know more after my few days in North Devon when I shall do 2 days in Eco with S/S working and 2 days in Normal and TRY to remember to turn S/S off. (It can't be turned off in Eco as every time you stop it kicks in)
Why turn S/S off in Normal mode - ECO mode is the nod to Greenness, S/S actually does save fuel around town

1 - 20 of 46 Posts