Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added either of these to the kodiaq to get rid of the dead spot and hesitation on the throttle response on the 1.4 tsi dsg?

(or used them on any other skoda model?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322948735175?chn=ps&var=512064527405&adgroupid=56153641092&rlsatarget=pla-399863219451&abcId=1130076&adtype=pla&merchantid=116318099&googleloc=1006502&device=c&campaignid=1029035693&crdt=0

https://www.chiptuning.com/uk/pedalbox.html

Or fitting both of them together?

Any comments as not looking to chip the car to make it faster just make it a bit more relaxing and smoother acceleration when pushing hard.

This is the smallest engine car i have ever bought and it just feels like it needs a bit more air to get going before the turbo kicks in. Once turbo kicks in it is fine.

The performance is ok and nippy but would be better with a bit more response on pick up.

I read on another forum that you can change the throttle response with coding ( to audi mode) on the superb and just wondering if it can also be done with obdeleven software for the kodiaq?

Have checked the pedal box with insurance company and no increase to premium as it does not effect the performance they advised but waiting for a reply on the induction kit.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are other threads on this however I do have a throttle response box on mine and it does indeed make a fairly significant difference in drivability. Instant, linear response across the full pedal range and well worth the money.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pink72 said:
There are other threads on this however I do have a throttle response box on mine and it does indeed make a fairly significant difference in drivability. Instant, linear response across the full pedal range and well worth the money.
which one did you get?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The DTUK pedalbox plus. There has been much talk of racechip and DTUK. I chose DT as I have a number of people I know who use them and they have been impressed. One friend had an issue with a tuning box but DT worked with him to resolve without issue. The box sits in the 'loose change' cubby under the steering wheel. Easy install, easy set-up, easily accessible for changing if required. I run in sport mode after testing each one. For me the perfect balance. The box eliminates the pedal lag completely. So responds immediately to pedal input. Response is near on completely linear on that setting. Response in gear via the DSG box is good with kick down if provoked to do so. Note however the DSG box does need you to drive sympathetically to it. One other thing to note is that with start stop it requires a more delicate application of the accelerator when pulling away otherwise it does 'enhance' the potential for the box to not be smooth. I have had both response boxes and tuning (remap and boxes) over the years. It was suggested to me the pedal response box is the best and first change to make to improve drivability. I wholeheartedly agree after taking that advice. Appreciate that Skoda 'should' potentially tune the car like this. Reality is they do not and will not change that. So you can live with the set-up or change it. I chose the latter.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pink72 said:
The DTUK pedalbox plus. There has been much talk of racechip and DTUK. I chose DT as I have a number of people I know who use them and they have been impressed. One friend had an issue with a tuning box but DT worked with him to resolve without issue. The box sits in the 'loose change' cubby under the steering wheel. Easy install, easy set-up, easily accessible for changing if required. I run in sport mode after testing each one. For me the perfect balance. The box eliminates the pedal lag completely. So responds immediately to pedal input. Response is near on completely linear on that setting. Response in gear via the DSG box is good with kick down if provoked to do so. Note however the DSG box does need you to drive sympathetically to it. One other thing to note is that with start stop it requires a more delicate application of the accelerator when pulling away otherwise it does 'enhance' the potential for the box to not be smooth. I have had both response boxes and tuning (remap and boxes) over the years. It was suggested to me the pedal response box is the best and first change to make to improve drivability. I wholeheartedly agree after taking that advice. Appreciate that Skoda 'should' potentially tune the car like this. Reality is they do not and will not change that. So you can live with the set-up or change it. I chose the latter.
cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why you buy a car with 1.4 engine in you want it perform like one with bigger engine?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think you are missing the point Vesku. This is not about making it quicker, it is about making the car nicer to drive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok. I have 2.0 Tsi and i found it quite nice even after my 2.4 XC60.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The issue is all of the ECUs are programmed with throttle lag (you can blame EU emissions for that) the throttle response box will remove this lag... well worth the money.

Personally I would never use anything supplied by DTUK again after personal experience of their underhand tactics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I chose the RaceChip option after some research and feedback from Colin and others.
It took less than 5 minutes to fit and can be easily removed.
I checked with my insurance (Aviva) and they confirmed no change in policy cost or coverage.
Bought it through TopCashBack (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/search/merchants/?s=RaceChip) and got 13.65% (nearly £26) back in cash after a couple of months.
I found the difference quite significant and wouldn't go back to "stock" after using for a couple of months.
You don't even have to keep the controller connected once you have chosen and are happy with your setting - Norrmal, Sport, Sport+, Race, Race+. The brains sits nicely behind the panel near your right foot (assuming right hand drive!).

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
vesku said:
Why you buy a car with 1.4 engine in you want it perform like one with bigger engine?
The pedal boxes of either make mentioned here have no effect whatsoever on performance. What they do is open the throttle butterfly MUCH more quickly. Thereby doing away with the delay experienced between pushing the throttle pedal and the car deciding to wake up.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
markymate said:
Colin Lambert said:
Most of the answers are in the forum somewhere.
https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=860&hilit=Throttle+lag
I have this
https://www.racechip.co.uk/throttle-tuning/xlr.html
fitted, as do others. Transforms the car. Should not have to spend the money if Skoda had sorted it out in the first instance!!
Other makes, as they say, are available.
Hi Colin. How easy is to fit the Racechip, and does it make the much difference?
It took me about 15 minutes to fit and bear in mind I have a bad back and actually getting to the top of the accelerator pedal was quite a contortion for me.
That aside it is VERY easy. You simply unplug the male plug from the female part at the top of the accelerator pedal and plug it into the loom that comes with the XLR. Then plug the male XLR plug into the accelerator pedal, thereby sending the input from the pedal through the XLR circuitry to the ECU.
The XLR control has various adjustments by turning a knob from 'less than default', which is frankly undriveable, right through to 'Race+' which is pretty lairy! I have it on 'Sport +'.
It costs £189 from memory and worth every penny.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Colin, sounds like even an idiot like me could do it.......well, almost!! When my Kodiaq arrives I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Personally I would never use anything supplied by DTUK again after personal experience of their underhand tactics.
Interesting. Care to elaborate?
I am not a libel lawyer, in case my question has you worried.
I am interested in throttle tuning my Kodiaq, and would like to weigh up my options.
It seems both achieve the same result.

Not really interested in racing people off the traffic lights, but would like to make the throttle range a bit more linear.

I come from a very responsive 2.2 TD manual to a laggy 1.4 TSI DSG.
I often find that the Kodiaq "chokes" after the DSG changes gear. Pressing the pedal just that little bit more all of the sudden launches you.
Makes it very difficult to give the passengers a smooth ride.

I hope to learn from you guys that you experienced the same and that these devices solved that for you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I tried one on their DTUK tuning boxes on our 170CR Yeti as Andrew (DTUK) assured me I had 'nothing to lose' as they had a money back guarantee if I was not 100% happy (I explained to him that ideally I wanted a Shark remap on the car but logistics was making it difficult getting the car to Shark).

Cut a long story short I bought a DTUK box, fitted it and ran it for a couple of thousand miles, under every setting and with and without sensors plugged in, the results were near as damn it always the same... good power increase but it was drinking the fuel (10% more being used) with a black exhaust tailpipe = it was overfuelling.

Andrew eventually agreed to me returning the box for a refund, when I got the refund he had hit me with a £50 restocking fee... which had never been mentioned before and there was no mention of this on his website!

I then took the car to Shark (450 mile round trip) the results were great power and delivery and an INCREASE in my MPG! (and not sooty tailpipe).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wonder that can there be some difference in throttle response between cars. When i testdrove 2 litre 190 Hp diesel it had noticeable bad throttle response but in my 2 litre petrol version it is ok.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hope you guys don't mind opening up an old thread.
I'd like to perform a rudimentary survey among you that have installed a throttle tuning device.

Those like me whose interest in throttle tuning is piqued, feel free to chime in with other questions but please allow others to answer the questions.
Don't try to steer this thread into the proverbial weeds with unnecessary comments.
I am trying to get myself informed. Hopefully this benefits you too.

Main questions:
Q: what engine spec are you driving?
Q: what made you think you should install a throttle tuner?
Q: which make and model of throttle tuner did you opt for?
Q: has the device made much of a difference to the car since installing it?
Q: was this difference to the car worth the money you paid for the device?

Further questions:
Q: would you say that anyone should be able to follow the instructions to install the device?
Q: has the device noticeably affected fuel consumption in any way?
Q: should owners de-install the device before returning the car to the dealer for a service? (i.e. should using such a device be kept secret from your dealer?)

·
Registered
117 Posts
In response ..

Main questions:
Q: what engine spec are you driving?
A: 190TDI 4x4 DSG.
Q: what made you think you should install a throttle tuner?
A: Requirement to depress throttle before the engine responds and non linear throttle response affected driving experience. Just too laggy. Subsequent DSG box lagginess.
Q: which make and model of throttle tuner did you opt for?
A: I have the DTUK throttle response unit set to sport stage 1.
Q: has the device made much of a difference to the car since installing it?
A: Very much so, immediate throttle response with completely linear response on depressing the pedal. So much more drivable with better responses in gear. DSG box responds better to with the remapped throttle.
Q: was this difference to the car worth the money you paid for the device?
A: Absolutely.

Further questions:
Q: would you say that anyone should be able to follow the instructions to install the device?
A: Yes, two connectors in line with the throttle pedal unit. Easy access with the gift of the small storage box under the right of the steering wheel to house it. Just use a few cable ties to keep cables tidy and switch the engine off and allow 5 minutes before making the connections.
Q: has the device noticeably affected fuel consumption in any way?
A: None at all. The same rules apply, drive like you stole it and it will drink fuel. Drive the same and it will use the same fuel. Just more drivable.
Q: should owners de-install the device before returning the car to the dealer for a service? (i.e. should using such a device be kept secret from your dealer?)
A: Personally I will. Easy to do. Just do not want the conversation if it arises. Any dealer will use the device if they can to not cover a warrenty job if they perceive it to be tenuously linked.

I do not believe you will be disappointed in the drivability to get from the device.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts