Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like there is a time lock on editing posts, else I would have added this to 'A 3000 mile roadtrip review' https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=950

Being on a roadtrip and having the Internet to hand is a massive convenience so I thought I'd explore what options I had for enabling the wider Skoda Connect features through a data connection, before I set off.

Firstly, my Edition does not have a SIM slot. But it will connect via my phone's hotspot and so it happily pulls data through my mobile phone. My phone contract gives me 12Gb of data per month on a tariff that shares that 12Gb between direct data from the handset and devices tethering through the phone via hotspot.

As long as I'm in the UK, that's fine.

Due to recent EU negotiated agreements with cell carriers in Europe: call, data and txt tariffs incur no additional charge while internationally roaming within the EU.

BUT

While that includes data use directly on the handset, it does NOT include data to devices tethered through hotspot.

Practically, this means that tethering via hotspot while internationally roaming incurs additional fees that can be arbitrarily dictated by whichever carrier the phone is connected to and could make for some really interesting billshock.

On the other hand: CarPlay (and, I assume, it's Android equivalent) does not count as tethering. CarPlay functionality and the direct Internet connection on the phone, in conjunction with the car's native console functions, was more than adequate.

TLDR: If you're using a hotspot for your car's Skoda Connect connectivity, switch off the hotspot when internationally roaming or expect surprise additional data charges for the data your car consumes.

I switched my hotspot off when we set off but I thought I'd lay out the findings out here for the forum.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's interesting what you say (and worrying).

I've just spent 5 nights in Portugal where I tethered my son's tablet to my phone and used in excess of 5gb of data on Netflix. I'm not saying what you're saying is untrue as I could still yet be due a shock but that usage has come straight from my monthly allowance and I've not as yet had a nasty surprise on my bill.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now. That's interesting. Cards on the table: my personal contract is with THREE who, in my experience, have tended to have the best coverage in the bits of the UK and Europe that work takes me to (work insists on using O2 but prohibits us from internationally roaming. Go figure).

The above findings are based largely on discussion with THREE's shop staff. Your message prompted me to double check: Now looking back through my bills, I know for a fact that I ended up accidentally providing a hotspot for my work iPad when in Ireland last time and... I wasn't billed separately for the data usage.

It would be really useful if other members of this forum could confirm whether they have received additional billing for hotspot data while internationally roaming or whether its been absorbed by their regular data tariff.

If it's the case, then I would let the car use as much as it wants while internationally roaming! :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
There may be a grey area here. Some Uk contracts don't allow you to tether, and others only let you tether X amount of your contract allowance (say 2gb of 12gb).

In such cases a European network wouldn't know that your contract doesn't allow you to tether, therefore you would be using data in a foreign country which wasn't part of your monthly allowance. If you passed your tethering allowance in the UK I'm assuming it would be throttled, but I don't think it would be the case when roaming.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My experience with 3 is that all of your data allowance can be used for a hotspot, but this isn't the case with all providers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts