Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.

So I'm just about to purchase a SIM card for the car to setup Skoda connect and thought I'd ask what data packages people have gone for and how much data your car uses per month?

Skodiaq

·
Registered
422 Posts
For the benefit of the Skoda Connect service, my understanding is that there is already a SIM card in the car.

In the UK, the Kodiaq will be on Vodafone.

You can indeed put a secondary SIM card in the glovebox so you can provide WiFi in your car.
This secondary SIM might even have other benefits, such as with the infotainment system, but as I don't (yet) use that SIM slot I cannot make definitive statements about that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased a family BT sim for my bear. I know its pricey at £16 per month so after the 12 month contract I may look elsewhere. In the meantime in the one month I've had my bear I've eaten into nearly 4gb of my 20gb allowance.

I have the bear setup as a Wi-Fi hotspot, 2 of my three girls have used it while travelling and I use google earth more or less each day for sat nav to / from work.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daddy Pig said:
I purchased a family BT sim for my bear. I know its pricey at £16 per month so after the 12 month contract I may look elsewhere. In the meantime in the one month I've had my bear I've eaten into nearly 4gb of my 20gb allowance.

I have the bear setup as a Wi-Fi hotspot, 2 of my three girls have used it while travelling and I use google earth more or less each day for sat nav to / from work.

Dave
Wow 4GB is way over what I was thinking!
But then I'm not too worried about others using the car as a Wi-fi hotspot for their devices. I just want the car to be able to use google maps and use the Skoda app etc.
I think I need to look into this further.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought a 12-month, 12GB card (on "3" network) for £27-odd. It's been in a month, and hasn't yet used 1GB, but then it's only providing data to the nav and info systems (no-one connecting phones or tablets) and I've avoided the Google maps option, which I suspect will suck up data.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try using Android Auto from your mobile you don't need a specific SIM.

·
Registered
188 Posts
black kodiaq said:
Try using Android Auto from your mobile you don't need a specific SIM.
That's true. But trying to use Android Auto on an iPhone won't get you very far ...
:?

·
Registered
421 Posts
iwarv said:
For the benefit of the Skoda Connect service, my understanding is that there is already a SIM card in the car.

You can indeed put a secondary SIM card in the glovebox so you can provide WiFi in your car.
This secondary SIM might even have other benefits, such as with the infotainment system, but as I don't (yet) use that SIM slot I cannot make definitive statements about that.
Your Skoda Connect works from the internal SIM in the UK?

Mine certainly doesn't, all it does in mine is make emergency/service calls and possibly does the odd update. Skoda Connect won't run without tethering to my phone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered a free 3 data sim which gives you 200mb every month.
I don't intend to enable in-car wifi or google street view so 200 mb for just skoda connect and traffic updates felt reasonable.
My data use in about 20 days with daily moderate driving is less than 70mb.

Link for data sim https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
iwarv said:

Mine certainly doesn't, all it does in mine is make emergency/service calls and possibly does the odd update. Skoda Connect won't run without tethering to my phone.
It should definitely work from the internal SIM. For absolute clarity, we're talking about the Skoda Connect app/website yeah? If so I have never tethered my phone or added a secondary SIM and Skoda Connect works fine for me. You just need to register on the website/app and then enter a code on the Infotainment system.

Thanks for the free SIM link. I'll get one of those :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
No, we're not talking about just the Skoda Connect app. We're talking about the "button" on the infotainment menu which says, as a clue, "Skoda Connect".

This leads to further "buttons", which give the news, the weather forecast, etc, all of which require the car to get onto the internet. It doesn't do that via the internal SIM, but will do it via a tethered phone or via a slot-in SIM card. That further connection will also enable extra features in the satnav, such as up-to-date traffice data, petrol prices at the nearest filling stations, and so on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
idomz said:
I ordered a free 3 data sim which gives you 200mb every month.
I don't intend to enable in-car wifi or google street view so 200 mb for just skoda connect and traffic updates felt reasonable.
My data use in about 20 days with daily moderate driving is less than 70mb.

Link for data sim https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order.
Perfect.

Thank you.

Ordered and waiting.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Swindiaq said:
Hugh Fanism said:
iwarv said:

It should definitely work from the internal SIM. For absolute clarity, we're talking about the Skoda Connect app/website yeah? If so I have never tethered my phone or added a secondary SIM and Skoda Connect works fine for me. You just need to register on the website/app and then enter a code on the Infotainment system.

Thanks for the free SIM link. I'll get one of those :)
I'm talking about the "app" on the infotainment screen in the car. Unless it's connected to my phone then it doesn't let me in and advises me to check the WLAN connection or something like that.
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
I'm talking about the "app" on the infotainment screen in the car. Unless it's connected to my phone then it doesn't let me in and advises me to check the WLAN connection or something like that.
Am I missing something?
No, you're correct.
I checked it out today. TBH never noticed the Skoda Connect app on the Infotainment system before. It does indeed require a WiFi hot-spot (fixed or phone) or 2nd SIM card for WLAN.

My confusion arising from the Skoda Connect app you can use on the smartphone - that does use the cars internal SIM which obviously has its own WLAN capability but we can't use it for Skoda Connect in-car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
@HughFanism is - I assume - correct. I have never used the "Skoda Connect" app that lives on the car's infotainment system.
I have only used the "Skoda Connect" app on the phone.

The latter uses the built-in Vodafone SIM. You don't need anything else to use the phone app.

For the former I assume you will have to either install a SIM into the dedicated slot in the glove box or you will have to tether your phone. I reiterate that I cannot make any definitive statements about it, because I have never used it myself and will go along with what others have said about this.

It is confusing; there being two distinctly different apps called "Skoda Connect". Perhaps these two apps have something in common. I really wouldn't know.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Swindiaq said:
Hugh Fanism said:
Am I missing something?
No, you're correct.
I checked it out today. TBH never noticed the Skoda Connect app on the Infotainment system before. It does indeed require a WiFi hot-spot (fixed or phone) or 2nd SIM card for WLAN.

My confusion arising from the Skoda Connect app you can use on the smartphone - that does use the cars internal SIM which obviously has its own WLAN capability but we can't use it for Skoda Connect in-car.
Yes, I think the internal SIM sends the info from the in car app to your phone. The phone app is very useful for navigation as it's easier to use than the screen in the car. You can input an address/shop/whatever in your phone via connect and send it to the car. The route then appears within connect (also in the navigation)in your car as an "online destination". For example, if you pop the postcode for IKEA (address doesn't work) in Reading directly to the car the stupid thing takes you to an industrial estate on the wrong side of the motorway but if you send it from your phone after searching for it on the map it takes you straight to the car park.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a virgin data only sim. where l live 3g is limited and 4g none existent so l thought this was the best option. Because mobile connectivity is limited my wife and myself share a mobile, why have two with no connection"
The virgin sim works well however travel and news is slow around home, but it works. We just travelled south and the link was 4 g in built up areas was able to view news etc whilst the wife took her turn in driving, happy with out choice.

I would be pushed to use a gig per month

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bear in mind that we poor people with only an SE, who tend to be overlooked in this forum, don't have the Columbus wireless and so don't have the option of inserting a sim. We have to tether our phone.

(I don't have my choice, an SE-L, because there weren't any in stock, and I have never waited for a car, or any consumer goods).

·
Registered
421 Posts
StephenL said:
Bear in mind that we poor people with only an SE, who tend to be overlooked in this forum, don't have the Columbus wireless and so don't have the option of inserting a sim. We have to tether our phone.

(I don't have my choice, an SE-L, because there weren't any in stock, and I have never waited for a car, or any consumer goods).
I don't think SE owners get overlooked, I think there's just an abundance of SE L and Edition owners. People only really offer input for what they have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts