Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just in the process of moving from a Superb L&K to a Kodiaq and I have some questions.

1. On the former, I have sensors in the side of the car which activate when I am close to nearby vehicles. Does this come as standard on the SE L, or do you need the Area View or Front and Rear sensors. In fact, does the base SE L model have rear sensors in it as standard?

2. On the SE L, is there no way of locking the rear doors to prevent kids opening them, without purchasing the "Electric child safety lock with rear window roller blinds" option for £175?

3. How on earth can a 32 grand car not come with a heated windscreen as standard?

4. Is ACC as useful as it sounds. I've had CC for years but the showroom guy was raving about it. From what I've read on here, its 50/50. Worth the extra 300?

5. Given the leather in my Superb has started to bag / sag and get a little cracky in places, I'm going with the alcantara. With kids, I reckon that black would look smarter for longer, even if the beige looks toppers when new. I'm not overly anal about cleaning mine now, but I do look at the poor discolored and shiny beige leather and it looks all of its 4 years. What can I expect from the alcantara and any warnings over beige?

6. I see from the poll that Lava Blue (assumed to be Petrol Blue) is leading with Quartz Grey in second. Both of these were on my short list. The grey looks dowdy in reality, especially on an overcast day or when raining, whereas the blue looks like at least 3 differentiate colors depending on the light. I do like the blue, but i'm wondering how it will hold up long term. Personal preference I know.

7. Does the SE L have the silver trim around the doors / side windows like the Edition or it is body-coloured?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Auberne said:
Hi. Just in the process of moving from a Superb L&K to a Kodiaq and I have some questions.

1. On the former, I have sensors in the side of the car which activate when I am close to nearby vehicles. Does this come as standard on the SE L, or do you need the Area View or Front and Rear sensors. In fact, does the base SE L model have rear sensors in it as standard?
The 'round the corner' sensors on back and front bumpers (if you have specced the front ones) will pickup other vehicles if you drive too close to them.
2. On the SE L, is there no way of locking the rear doors to prevent kids opening them, without purchasing the "Electric child safety lock with rear window roller blinds" option for £175?
Yes there is, (see photo below) , but I agree, it is difficult to see and the first time I have seen this system on any car.
Remove the 'REAL' key from the remote control and insert in the slot and turn.

3. How on earth can a 32 grand car not come with a heated windscreen as standard? Don't know. I thought they were extras on most cars.

4. Is ACC as useful as it sounds. I've had CC for years but the showroom guy was raving about it. From what i've read on here, its 50/50. Worth the extra 300?
Can't comment , never had it.

5. Given the leather in my Superb has started to bag / sag and get a little cracky in places, I'm going with the alcantara. With kids, I reckon that black would look smarter for longer, even if the beige looks toppers when new. I'm not overly anal about cleaning mine now, but I do look at the poor discoloured and shiny beige leather and it looks all of its 4 years. What can I expect from the alcantara and any warnings over beige?
I have had leather on 2 out of my 3 Yetis and it never sagged or looked tired. Perhaps your bum is bigger than mine~ very doubtful! :lol: I had to have Alcantara as leather was not an option when I ordered my K last December. I ordered beige as I have the beige interior. Now done 3,200 miles , seems fine to me have scrubbed the drivers seat once. came back to new nicely.

6. I see from the poll that Lava Blue (assumed to be Petrol Blue) is leading with Quartz Grey in second. Both of these were on my short list. The grey looks dowdy in reality, especially on an overcast day or when raining, whereas the blue looks like at least 3 differentiate colors depending on the light. I do like the blue, but i'm wondering how it will hold up long term. Personal preference I know.
Lava blue IS Petrol blue. The best colour in the pathetic range of colours that Skoda offer on the K.
I am bored with silver as I have had too many silver cars. The Business grey and the quartz I personally think are dangerous, as you say, on a overcast wet day you disappear into the tarmac. I would never consider either just for that reason.
Petrol blue is not good on a dull day, so I suppose I should include it in the comments above, but on a sunny day it absolutely sparkles. It is an amazing colour.
My Yeti below.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments Colin. Appreciate it. Order is already placed and I have a couple of days before it goes through to make changes to colour / spec. Hoping to get back to another garage tomorrow to let my wife have her say.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Auberne said:

3. How on earth can a 32 grand car not come with a heated windscreen as standard?

4. Is ACC as useful as it sounds. I've had CC for years but the showroom guy was raving about it. From what I've read on here, its 50/50. Worth the extra 300?

5. Given the leather in my Superb has started to bag / sag and get a little cracky in places, I'm going with the alcantara. With kids, I reckon that black would look smarter for longer, even if the beige looks toppers when new. I'm not overly anal about cleaning mine now, but I do look at the poor discolored and shiny beige leather and it looks all of its 4 years. What can I expect from the alcantara and any warnings over beige?

7. Does the SE L have the silver trim around the doors / side windows like the Edition or it is body-coloured?
1. You don't need Area View iirc. Side sensors come with either Area View or Park Assist. I think the latter is cheaper however I don't think the reversing camera is standard to SE L models in the U.K however rear sensors are. If it's cheaper to get Area View over park assist+reversing camera id be getting Area View.

2. There are manual child locks.

3. What do you mean? The Kodiaq comes standard with a demister for the front however the Heating option puts a very thin layer of conductive metal and heats it up like the rear heated screen.

4. IMO yes. I'd happily pay £300 for it.

5. I wouldn't get Alcantara:

I prefer leather but that's just preference. On my 2008 Nissan, the leather has worn very well because it's black. I have a friend with the beige leather interior. Definitely hasn't aged well.

6. Lava blue looks nice but I think people have said you need to wash it frequently to keep it looking good.

7. I think side window trims are chromed but roof rails aren't. I believe its an option to chrome the roof rails.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hiya,

ACC is definitely worth it. In my opinion it's the best value of all the options I specified.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Auberne said:
I have lava blue Kodiaq and I can confirm that the car needs to be washed every two weeks if you want to have it beautiful, Otherwise everybody is praising that colour. And I am not kiding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I must say that that is the first negative review of Alcantara, re: it wearing and it not being a "premium" product. While I havent see many positive reviews either (given there is no option on the Edition), I do recall some saying that even after 10 years, it tended to come up as a good as new. Is this a common feeling?

Seems to be popular enough here

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1381949

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have Alcantara and after two months of usage it still looks great. It is not hot in summer and not cold on cold weather. I actually love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Romanv, I chose my car based your videos by the way, so thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My understanding about the side sensors is that it is specifically for the park assist.
If you don't order that you don't get them, regardless of spec'ing it for area view or front/rear sensors.

Or you could try what I did (unknowingly) and order the trailer assist (needs the towbar option) which is £75 more than just area view and sensor option and I got the full park assist option included (£600 for free!). Never planned on paying for the Park Assist optin but now I have it I must say it works extremely well and with very tight spaces too - or maybe I am just bias because of how much I paid for it.
ACC is also a very good option (which I did pay for) and works brilliantly on both motorway and in town too (traffic jam assist)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts