Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Sport Line during lockdown and dealer sold it as having been owned by the manager of a another dealership, when looking at the service plans on offer on entering my reg the system stated that a service plan was in place, which they now say cannot be as the car was a demonstrator. I never heard the word demonstrator spoken, nor did my wife who was present when I viewed the car, and it was never used ever, it was however stated on several occasions that the car was owned by the manager of a dealership.
My question initially is, if the Skoda system states that a service plan exists am I entitled to use it, so far I have been waiting 6 weeks for the selling dealership to sort this out, as they say VWFS is slow in getting back to them.
Your views would be most welcome

Brian

·
Registered
387 Posts
AFAIK part of the appeal of the service plan is that it can be sold with the car, it's not specific to whoever bought the service pack. This ought to be easy to sort out through Skoda UK Customer Services or indeed any other Skoda dealer - call a random Skoda dealer and ask to book it in for a service and say you think it has a service pack. They will be able to tell you whether it does or doesn't.

If it was sold to you as having one, then it turns out that it doesn't, then clearly that's a case of mis-selling, however you'd need to check the paperwork from the sale to check whether it is specifically mentioned. If it's just 'word of mouth' that there was a service plan on it, then I'm afraid you don't really have any come-back if it later transpires that this wasn't the case, provided the dealer didn't artificially inflate the price because of it, but that would be difficult to prove if it's not on the paperwork at the time of the sale.

Most cars that are 'owned' by someone in the dealership are generally used as demonstrators. It's the dealership that technically owns the car, not the individual employee, even if it is the manager. That part is just semantics really - you were aware that you weren't buying a brand new car. Who owned it and how it was used is really up to them and you have no control over this any more than if you'd bought a privately owned second hand car and it turned out later that they'd used it as part of a taxi company. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFAIK part of the appeal of the service plan is that it can be sold with the car, it's not specific to whoever bought the service pack. This ought to be easy to sort out through Skoda UK Customer Services or indeed any other Skoda dealer - call a random Skoda dealer and ask to book it in for a service and say you think it has a service pack. They will be able to tell you whether it does or doesn't.

If it was sold to you as having one, then it turns out that it doesn't, then clearly that's a case of mis-selling, however you'd need to check the paperwork from the sale to check whether it is specifically mentioned. If it's just 'word of mouth' that there was a service plan on it, then I'm afraid you don't really have any come-back if it later transpires that this wasn't the case, provided the dealer didn't artificially inflate the price because of it, but that would be difficult to prove if it's not on the paperwork at the time of the sale.

Most cars that are 'owned' by someone in the dealership are generally used as demonstrators. It's the dealership that technically owns the car, not the individual employee, even if it is the manager. That part is just semantics really - you were aware that you weren't buying a brand new car. Who owned it and how it was used is really up to them and you have no control over this any more than if you'd bought a privately owned second hand car and it turned out later that they'd used it as part of a taxi company. Buyer beware!
Hi

Thanks for your comments, there is nothing on the paperwork regarding a service plan, but there is one according to Skoda site, also I never received a specification list for the vehicle, due to covid.
I have contacted customer services and am awaiting their reply, will post the outcome as soon as I have it, but won’t hold my breath as have not heard from dealership since the 9th of October.

Cheers Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
First question is didn't they try to sell you a plan when you bought the car?

Cars which are pre-registered or ex-management rarely if ever include a service plan as it's money down the drain for the garage. On top of that, the £159 2yr service plan is an offer by VWFS on new cars bought using PCP. Dealers or Skoda don't use PCP to buy their cars so if there is a service plan, I wonder what sort of service plan it is?

Little story - I part-exchanged a Honda after 18mths, a car which I'd bought a transferable 5yr service plan when new. When the dealer advertised my old car, no mention was made of the included plan which had four free services left on it. I had reason to visit the dealer a few weeks after and said they'd forgot to mention the plan in their advertising to the salesman. The guy said he can make additional money on the deal by selling their own service plan. So there's a lesson for everyone - if the used car you bought was privately owned, the chances are it may already have a service plan, otherwise...

But as your car was a ex-management / demo then I'd be more than surprised if it came with a plan as it wouldn't be make any business sense for them to do so. If there is a plan then great, you've bought a car from a naive salesperson.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Thanks for your comments, the only reason I know that a service plan seems to exist is that when I looked into one on the Skoda system it asked for my reg, which I entered and it then stated that one was in place. Surely an concern such as Skoda/VW must have a fairly good system whereby mistakes like putting a plan on the wrong car should not happen, so I feel that should honour it.
Yes when I bought the car I was told I could not get a good deal plan as I paid cash.
Have sent complaint to customer service, so will see what happens, and let you know.

Brian

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have traded in Skoda's before for a new one in the past with 1 service still remaining on the trade in and have been told that the paid for service would be lost as they were not transferable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have traded in Skoda's before for a new one in the past with 1 service still remaining on the trade in and have been told that the paid for service would be lost as they were not transferable.
Thanks, waiting reply from customer service, will report back on how I get on.

Brian

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree with most of what's been written already and I'd be extremely surprised if you haven't been on the end of a salesmans glib tongue making spurious claims about the car you bought. Some of them lie through their teeth to get a sale, whilst others unwittingly give false information because they haven't checked their facts and some really don't know what they're talking about.
I hope you do have a service plan in place, but if not you'll have to rely on the goodwill of the dealership to put one in place for you - don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well that's just plain wrong, any service plan is entirely transferable to a new owner, it's tied to the VIN, not the person who bought it. Details here:
Skoda Service Plans

Then again, any service remaining on an existing plan would be lost to you as you no longer own the car and you can't transfer an existing service plan to a new vehicle.

Also of note for those looking, Skoda now have their Black Friday sale running until the end of November where service plans on cars over 1 year old are 20% off, so £84 off the 2 services plan (£336 down from £420) and £153.60 off the all-in plan (£614 down from £768) that also includes 2x MOTs, roadside assistance and warranty. Both have the option to pay monthly over 24 months at 0% finance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with most of what's been written already and I'd be extremely surprised if you haven't been on the end of a salesmans glib tongue making spurious claims about the car you bought. Some of them lie through their teeth to get a sale, whilst others unwittingly give false information because they haven't checked their facts and some really don't know what they're talking about.
I hope you do have a service plan in place, but if not you'll have to rely on the goodwill of the dealership to put one in place for you - don't hold your breath.
Hi

Thanks, 100% I was told it was owned by someone and never was the term “demonstrator “
used, and I stupidly did not ask. Rest assured the dealership won’t get any more business from me. Will let you know what customers services come back with.

Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, waiting reply from customer service, will report back on how I get on.

Brian
Well you've either been told wrong or as I strongly suspect, they've misundertood you.

A service plan is fully transferable to the next owner - the information is available from VWFS UK

However a service plan is not transferable to your next car. If you had one service remaining, I'm guessing someone thought you meant transferring it to your new car.

Edit: apologies, just noticed I've repeated what Scratch113 already said.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, 100% I was told it was owned by someone and never was the term “demonstrator “
used, and I stupidly did not ask. Rest assured the dealership won’t get any more business from me. Will let you know what customers services come back with.

Brian
I may be wrong but it sounds you may be the one at fault here. You've already said it was the manager of another branches car. Did they actually say he owned it? or is it you that's saying he owned it? You may well have been told it was his car but it's extremely unlikely they told you he owned it... no salesperson owns cars they sell, the garage give them a car to use as a perk of their job.

Anyway, does it matter if he owned it or not? For arguments sake lets assume he did own it, he still could have handed it over to any Tom, Dick or Harry to use. The term 'demonstrator' is meaningless - you bought a used car, end of.

Note for the future: Regarding not getting as good a deal because you paid cash, the trick is if there are incentives with PCP, to buy the car using PCP then settle the finance using cash next day. You don't even have to speak to anyone, you simply log on to VWFS UK, enter your details, say you wish to settle the finance, and transfer monies. You'll probably pay around £20 tops as they have a min interest charge but who cares about that if PCP offers a large cash discount + discounted service plan.

I don't like finance but I still paid using PCP. PCP offered a £3500 discount + 2 services for £159 at the time I purchased my car. I bought the car using PCP, kept those offers, asked VWFS UK for a settlement figure, and transfered the monies from my bank account to theirs. It's really easy. no way in this world could I have negotiated such a discount using cash alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts