Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the 'secret' CD/DVD player in the glovebox and wondered how integrated the DVD part might be with the Media function of the touchscreen and... it's fully integrated. That is: DVDs will play fully audio and video on the touchscreen... while the car is stationary, cutting back to audio only if the car is moving.

Even so: worth having an emergency DVD for the kids in the glovebox if caught in massive tailback or queue for ferry, etc.

Nice one Skoda! Tweet with pics (or it didn't happen), here:

·
Registered
149 Posts
dalglir said:
Noticed the 'secret' CD/DVD player in the glovebox and wondered how integrated the DVD part might be with the Media function of the touchscreen and... it's fully integrated. That is: DVDs will play fully audio and video on the touchscreen... while the car is stationary, cutting back to audio only if the car is moving.

Even so: worth having an emergency DVD for the kids in the glovebox if caught in massive tailback or queue for ferry, etc.

Nice one Skoda! Tweet with pics (or it didn't happen), here:

Was reading that in the online manual yesterday and thought that it couldn't be correct.
I wasn't able to check myself as I haven't got mine yet.
That is certainly good news....... and a bit of a bonus.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck with that. see my thread ; Slide Show in this same forum.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The slide show issue is something different to the DVD player.

I have always found that good percentage of 'issues' that's are technology based are not down to the equipment but the lack of understanding of the user. I dont doubt there are some legitimate problems but not as many that are reported on here.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jon Edwards said:
I have always found that good percentage of 'issues' that's are technology based are not down to the equipment but the lack of understanding of the user. I dont doubt there are some legitimate problems but not as many that are reported on here.
+1

Not many people RTFM, so therefore 'mis out' on lots of options their car can do.

This 'hidden' DVD player is one of them as the Columbus system has been capable of playing DVDs for at least 7 years now.

The 'video in motion' (picture showing whilst driving) can also be enabled... but obviously it is not legal to show a moving picture (other than sat nav) whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Range Rover (and no doubt some other manufacturers) have a dual function screen where the driver can only see the sat nav whilst passengers can view the DVD, this will I anticipate become more available across most manufacturers as the price drops

·
Registered
945 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Jon Edwards said:
+1

Not many people RTFM, so therefore 'mis out' on lots of options their car can do.

This 'hidden' DVD player is one of them as the Columbus system has been capable of playing DVDs for at least 7 years now.

The 'video in motion' (picture showing whilst driving) can also be enabled... but obviously it is not legal to show a moving picture (other than sat nav) whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Range Rover (and no doubt some other manufacturers) have a dual function screen where the driver can only see the sat nav whilst passengers can view the DVD, this will I anticipate become more available across most manufacturers as the price drops
I would agree and it's blatantly obvious that most questions on here can be resolved by reading the manual. In the case of the DVD player I thought it was quite well covered in all the PR.

I find it surprising people have spent £30k+ on a car but have no idea on its specification and the features on it, that said they may have busier lives than me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my defence: as the OP I was calling out a cool feature that some may have missed, that I tested and found to work well. :D I agree that many folk (myself included) are bumping up against some of Skoda's peculiarities that are, in fact, working as designed. I admit I have not read the manual cover to cover but have sought bits that I'm interested in (like how to set seat presets and get CarPlay working - though the latter was still a far from intuitive experience).

I spend my days bouncing between 20hour days bimbling around the UK by air and road and filling in as sole parent when my wife is on shift so, between work, family life and exhaustion: I don't have _time_ to read the manual cover to cover :lol:

Apologies if 'RTFM' being the answer is frustratingly frequent for those who have gone to the trouble of reading the manual or who are familiar with Skoda's peculiarities. I appreciate and value your patience and understanding. I'm here to celebrate first Skoda, learn more about it and support others and it is important for folks to highlight problems whether they are Skoda newbies (like me) and the answer might just be a point of education, or a genuine fault - my feeling was that this is the sort of thing that the forum was for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If everyone read the manual, we wouldn't be able to generate Google searchable Web content in forums like this. 😃

·
Registered
181 Posts
Was reading that in the online manual yesterday and thought that it couldn't be correct.
I wasn't able to check myself as I haven't got mine yet.
That is certainly good news....... and a bit of a bonus.
[/quote]

Mmmm .. Sorry to digress slightly ... any chance you could post a link to the online manual.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I know I'm very old :lol: & possibly not as tech aware as some of you youngsters, but I find the manual very complicated and in many cases gives incomplete information.
It is also badly translated in some instances.
The manual would be half as thick & a lot easier to read if only the would do away with all the pc 'elf an safety' warning [email protected]
Frankly I find that asking questions on this forum I get more detailed, more understandable answers in less time than it takes to
lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I found it okay to read whilst I waited months for mine to arrive. It made hitting the ground running easier and me more knowledgeable than my dealership.

I've saved an electronic copy on my phone to refer to if I get stuck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
MoominPapa said:
I found it okay to read whilst I waited months for mine to arrive. It made hitting the ground running easier and me more knowledgeable than my dealership.

The MySkoda app automatically downloads the user manual for you version of the Kodiaq amongst other things, it's quite helpful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For those that want the link to the official Kodiaq manual in PDF format:

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/kodiaq.aspx

I'm still waiting for my Kodiaq which should arrive late September I'm starting to work my way through the manual in preparation.
I've also given it to my 9 year old son who is like a sponge and will devour the 348 pages in no time and then I will only need to refer to him when I want to know how to do something!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
MoominPapa said:

I have the 'Skoda connect' app and the 'My Skoda' app on my 'phone. It is the latter with the manual on it.
http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/mobile-apps/myskoda-app

I was the same. Having followed the Kodiaq since its inception and seeing (probably ) almost every video ever produced on it I found myself teaching at least two dealers about the cars specs when they did not even know what the colour range was, or engine availability etc.
Very satisfying as some dealers think they are the dogs danglers & it's good to get one up on them! :lol:
Especially if you are buying from them. They then realise that you can't be bamboozled by BS!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts