Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 21 Plate Kodiaq, obviously no more SD sockets sadly. so I bought an SD adaptor to USB-c and plugged it with the SD card that worked in my old Kodiaq expecting to play music that way. ( I don't want to use BT or a streaming service hard wired is always better IMHO). All I get is media not recognised Any ideas what the problem could be? I tried moving MP3's to the root directory but it still didn't change anything.

·
Registered
579 Posts
So I was of the same opinion regarding the removal of the SD slots - my 68-plate Kodiaq Sportline had them, but my new 22-plate one doesn't. So I bought a 90 degree USB-C to USB-C female short lead from Amazon as well as a universal USB/USB-C 128GB drive. It was one each of these:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0842P5GBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09573VX96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then loaded my entire music library (around 60-70 GB, so the USB drive is a bit overkill) from my Macbook Pro.

I tested this in my old car (without the lead as my old car had a single old-style USB port near the gear shift, not USB-C) and it worked perfectly, if anything, quicker to load and read than from the SD card.

Sadly in my new car, it's a bit rubbish. It's pretty slow to read the track/artist listings from the USB stick and when you stop the car and turn the ignition off, it sometimes will forget which track was playing when you next start the car, but sometimes it does. This seems not to depend on how long you stop for - I've seen it forget when I just popped into a shop for 5 minutes, but then remember when I had stopped for nearly 3 hours. Seems very inconsistent. Annoying when it does forget though, as the system then has to read the track and artist listings again and will then automatically play the first track alphabetically (by artist) that is saved. Overall entirely unsatisfactory.

On that basis, I've now loaded my entire music library onto my iPhone (thankfully I bought a 256GB model when I got my iPhone 12 Pro 18 months ago) and just play it via Bluetooth. Works much better.

I wasn't a fan of the Bluetooth previously, primarily because I mostly used it when streaming music or programmes on the BBC Sounds App, but living in Somerset, there are just too many 'not-spots' for mobile reception, leading to your streaming just stopping intermittently. Pretty poor experience living out in the sticks!

My only thought with your problem is that you do need to ensure everything is MP3 - not sure if this is actually still true, but certainly my old car wouldn't recognise any of the AAC files that I'd ripped from CD to my Macbook Pro. I had to convert them all to MP3 to get it to work properly. Also, if like me you're using a Mac to load music, be aware that the Mac will put some minor hidden files on the SD card and that can fool the car into thinking there's nothing there. The reverse is also true - the car will save a small file in the root drive that tells it what is loaded (i.e. track listing). You need to delete this (and remove it from the rubbish bin on your Mac) each time you add more music or else it won't recognise anything you've added.

Sadly I can't help if you're using a PC - haven't had one myself for over 20 years, although the kids and my wife both do, but they're all starting to slow down now as they're pretty ancient for PCs at 18 months old. All are way, way slower than my 10 year old Macbook Pro!

Hope that all helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detail, sounds like I might have to bite the bullet and go blue tooth. I live in Cornwall so worse than Somerset I suspect for streaming. I am loading ripped MP3 files from a Windows pc but as I say they used to work(although not all). It would be annoying for it to reset everyone I start always defaults to my wife's Abba greatest hits🙄 would still be interest to see if I can get the SD card adaptor working though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts