Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm pretty sure I've won the dubious award for first damaged kodiaq. First day at my new job and someone has scratched the driver side and left a small dent. Absolutely gutted! :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
We all feel your pain :(

I've accepted that my kids will destroy mine within the first few days anyways....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I totally expect natural wear and tear with two kids under 5, but the first scratch cuts the deepest! And only had it 6 days! :(

I've asked for the cctv to be checked so hopefully I'll be able to see something on there. It's not huge but so annoying!!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
What a total BUMMA!
So sorry to hear that. I know I'm always paranoid about my new cars. After a week or so it wears off and I get real and stop worrying. To have it actually happen is awful.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
What a total BUMMA!
So sorry to hear that. I know I'm always paranoid about my new cars. After a week or so it wears off and I get real and stop worrying. To have it actually happen is awful.
A week or so ? :eek: I go for about a year, and then I am still paranoid but less anxious while away :oops:
My other half is now used to a couple of laps of car parks to find the perceived lowest risk spot :lol:
I don't even go anywere without checking out available parking area's on googlemaps first, sad I know, but respect for other peoples property seems a lost trait these days :(

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I always park in the 'Mummy & brat' parking spaces in Tesco. I have had over £4000 worth of damage done in that car park over the years. Their spaces are far too narrow and apparently it was part of the planning consent that they had 'X' number of spaces . I think it is because they are too damn tight to repaint all the spaces in the huge car park.
I told the manager what I was doing and the reason why and he said 'I don't blame you".

·
Registered
289 Posts
abullock82 - sorry to hear of your ding.

An aside: it annoys me when those without young children in their car at the time of parking inappropriately use the "Parent and child" spaces in a car park.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I always park in the 'Mummy & brat' parking spaces in Tesco. I have had over £4000 worth of damage done in that car park over the years. Their spaces are far too narrow and apparently it was part of the planning consent that they had 'X' number of spaces . I think it is because they are too damn tight to repaint all the spaces in the huge car park.
I told the manager what I was doing and the reason why and he said 'I don't blame you".
To be honest it seems to me not a good idea at all. What if all customers park in reserved spaces ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a little Lotus Elise and it has loads of dings as people simply don't see it in carparks (its so low) and reverse into it. Am no longer worried about it as its 15 and the paint is getting a bit flaky anyway. When it gets to 20 I'll give it a respray, and touch up a few dings where its been bashed and also where its had a few involuntary off-roading trips....(OOPS!).

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
"An aside: it annoys me when those without young children in their car at the time of parking inappropriately use the "Parent and child" spaces in a car park. ,"
"To be honest it seems to me not a good idea at all. What if all customers park in reserved spaces ?"

Blame Tesco then! ( locally Sainsburys are just as bad and Waitrose is even worse and I don't unfortunately, have a Morrisons.)

Ok, you get your brand new Kodiaqs damaged. I'm not going to take the risk.
Perhaps the situation in Italy & Southampton is different, but stores here always have the smallest parking spaces they possibly can. Kodiaq fills up a standard Tesco parking space, side to side and back to front. Leaving no space for any error of judgement by others.
I NEVER take the last M&B space and I NEVER park in a disabled bay.
Also I usually go when I know Ms&Bs are usually not there. For example there are 12 M&B spaces in my Tesco. This morning there was ONE car in it. When I left that one had gone & I was the only one. Tesco will not entertain a claim for damage & I am not prepared to loose my NCB for the 4th time because of some aged duffer who should not be behind the wheel of a car.
The problem is that the parking bays in Tescos are always at right angles to the main drag. If they painted then at 45 degrees people could slide in and out without turning the steering wheel. But as they are, the local old duffers (Known locally as Canford Cliffs Commandos, Canford Cliffs being the area full of very wealthy OAPs) put on full lock to reverse out of the parking space thereby gouging a dent right down the side of the car parked innocently next to them, never seeming to realise they have severely damaged another persons car or if they do they never leave a note with 'phone number etc.
They seem to be devoid of the intelligence or ability to reverse into a parking space, thereby making it a simple matter to drive straight out.
Before anybody accuses me of being ageist I am 71 and trained by Police class 1 drivers, & an ex IAM driving instructor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get the 'benefit' of parking in the parent and child spaces. And all I had to do was have 3 kids. Some days I wonder why I did it, but when I pull into a supermarket I know it was all worthwhile! ;-)

So Colin, what are your thoughts - is it better to take a parent and child space without a child, or take two spaces with a bit of 'Clarkson parking'? End result is the same. Both things you 'shouldn't' be doing!

Oh, and my commiserations to the OP. Bitter pill to swallow :-(

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
The former as long (as I do) which is never park there unless there are plenty of spares, Always go when the M&B spaces are lightly used and never take more than 20 minutes to do my shopping, Oh & I always take the spot furthest away from the store. If that's taken I go elsewhere.
If I 'Clarkson' parked there will always be some dickhead who tries to squeeze in along side! :lol:
On a more serious note would those who disagree with me put up with over £4k worth of damage with no recompense from the offenders???? Or would they simply not go shopping?? (see comments re Sainsburys et al. Don't even THINK of mentioning a 'bus!! :lol: )
Oh! & P.S. I go shopping once a week for no more than 20 minutes. I think as an OAP I should be allowed some latitude!! :D ;)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
At my local mall, there are about half a dozen spaces for 60+ people that are next to the 'parents with prams' ones!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
The former as long (as I do) which is never park there unless there are plenty of spares, Always go when the M&B spaces are lightly used and never take more than 20 minutes to do my shopping, Oh & I always take the spot furthest away from the store. If that's taken I go elsewhere.
If I 'Clarkson' parked there will always be some dickhead who tries to squeeze in along side! :lol:
On a more serious note would those who disagree with me put up with over £4k worth of damage with no recompense from the offenders???? Or would they simply not go shopping?? (see comments re Sainsburys et al. Don't even THINK of mentioning a 'bus!! :lol: )
Oh! & P.S. I go shopping once a week for no more than 20 minutes. I think as an OAP I should be allowed some latitude!! :D ;)
Online shopping? ;-) https://www.tesco.com/groceries/ (other providers available). That way you can leave the car on the drive. :)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
No thanks. I want to choose my own fresh fruit and vegetables and when I ask for a specific item and it is out of stock they send something completely un related.
Wot and not have an excuse to drive my luvly new Kodiaq?? :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Perhaps you should go to the big Tesco out of town with better parking bays! Better excuse to drive your Kodiaq further! Or Bournemouth! ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
A new Waitrose has opened near me, and they have made all the spaces big enough for Range Rovers - sure enough the car park is full of such motors.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I always park in the 'Mummy & brat' parking spaces in Tesco. I have had over worth of damage done in that car park over the years. Their spaces are far too narrow and apparently it was part of the planning consent that they had 'X' number of spaces . I think it is because they are too damn tight to repaint all the spaces in the huge car park.
Maybe start using a different supermarket? If all customers who feel they carpark is not good did stop going there, they would surely act on it.
Alternatively, why not take some kids when going there and try to park in the regular spaces - you'll see why it matters.

I think Skoda/Ford should open-source their door protection mechanisms, for the good of all. you know, like Volvo did with the seat belt decades ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts