Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have just come back from a holiday in France with our Kodiaq and Caravan and the SatNav, although recognizing that we had a trailer and adjusting the speeds, would still adjust the route because of traffic (and I know this can be disabled) to go right through some City centers (Reimes) I didnt enjoy that, and then took us on a detour in the UK off the M5 and through a tiny village up single lane B roads.

How hard can it be to tell a satnav, if a trailer is connected I want to stick to Major roads (A/Motorway) regardless of current traffic conditions. I kept having to get the maps out as I could not trust the Kodiaq Satnav (I wanted to keep Dynamic traffic) but sticking to major roads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My mate had big Sat Nav issues towing a Caravan with his 2015 Discovery.
That was travelling down to Cornwall, he was sent down roads barely wider than the Caravan.
His Bro in Law, driving a Discovery, ended up having to be the lead car as his Sat Nav found the better routes.
Its not just a Kodiaq thing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a Garmin special for Caravan and motorhome, Did not trust it. It sent us down some very narrow roads.

I have not ticked the trailer option on the Kodiaq. I prefer to select the FAST or RED option on the nav. if it is offered.
So far it has been fine over 5 caravan trips.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I normally use Google maps via Android Auto, but I'm sure there's an option to untick smaller roads.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the Caravan and Motorhome handbook it's commonplace for site owners to warn drivers to ignore sat navs as they get closer to the site and, instead, follow the directions given in the handbook. I agree with RCRCRC that the FAST or RED option is the least bad option for caravaning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm extremely happy with the sat nav on my kodiaq, compared to the old one on my octavia it's extremely accurate and fast.

However, my experience is that the route changing based on traffic conditions used is better used in OFF mode and just us common sense instead. It would try to do really really silly things that maybe made sense in theory but not in practice or related to traffic information from half an hour ago, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rob M said:
My mate had big Sat Nav issues towing a Caravan with his 2015 Discovery.
That was travelling down to Cornwall, he was sent down roads barely wider than the Caravan.
His Bro in Law, driving a Discovery, ended up having to be the lead car as his Sat Nav found the better routes.
Its not just a Kodiaq thing!
I agree... My Garmin something has no option for entering "Please do not take me through hellish narraw roads". But its wierd now that Skoda actually added an option that it still advises user to select ridiculous detours. When driving with caravan I normally prepare myself a little more like noting the exit numbers and whatnot and then stay on motorways even when I get different advise...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts