Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 71 plate Kodiaq Sportline
I am trying to find out what type of SatNav is fitted.
Is it Amundsen or Columbus please?

·
Registered
428 Posts
All Sportlines came with Columbus afaik.

If it's a 71 plate, then think it will be MIB3, but could be MIB2.5 depending on when it was built - others here will know more details on that.
MY21 and later cars are MIB3 (I think), which has the latest software as well as no SD card or DVD/CD slot in the glove box.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that scratch113.
There are no SD card slots or DVD/CD fitted as far as i can see.
How would you update the SAT NAV without SD slots or DVD reader?
I see what i believe to be USB C inputs.
But none of my computers have these.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ask your dealer to be sure, but a 71 plate with MIB3 should receive over the air updates for the sat nav and other things as well. To receive over the air updates, you need to be signed up to Skoda Connect - free for the first year and payable after that.
If your dealer tells you that you have to do your own sat nav updates manually via the Skoda Portal, you can purchase type A to type C usb adaptors quite cheaply.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ask your dealer to be sure, but a 71 plate with MIB3 should receive over the air updates for the sat nav and other things as well. To receive over the air updates, you need to be signed up to Skoda Connect - free for the first year and payable after that.
It's worth looking out for the email from Skoda telling you your Remote Access and Infotainment Online services are about to expire - normally around a month before they do. From my experience, if you click on the link in that email, there is generally a limited-time discount to renew both services (separately if you wish).

Mine this year was £36 (reduced from £59) for the remote access and £44 (reduced from £63) for the Infotainment Online. Overall that's a reduction from £122 to £80 for both. I'm sure I don't use the full gamut of what these services offer, but the most useful is the traffic information on the SatNav (red lines where there is stationary or slow moving traffic), combined with the SatNav's ability to then route you around these, especially long tailbacks on the motorway. Paid huge dividends when I drove down from Forfar in Scotland to Somerset back in the summer - several holdups, especially on the M5, but it routed me around them all and I never sat in a queue at all. Happy days!

Also nice to be able to remotely check whether I remembered to lock the car in a car park and also get alerts if the alarm is triggered. I don't however plan routes remotely and then send them to my car, but think that's something that is possible.

Also fun to flash the lights and honk the horn remotely when someone was casually leaning on my car and I could see them from the restaurant I was in - made him jump!!😆

Reactions: mechanic

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for that scratch113.
There are no SD card slots or DVD/CD fitted as far as i can see.
How would you update the SAT NAV without SD slots or DVD reader?
I see what i believe to be USB C inputs.
But none of my computers have these.
I've never managed to update my maps via either USB or SD in my 2019 car, but that may be to do with me only having an Apple Macbook as my only computer and Skoda has issues with some of the small hidden files that Macs put onto an SD card which means the car just doesn't find the mapping files even though they are there.

I've done the more laborious way of updates in the past - connect via the car's WLAN to my phone's personal hotspot and then select "Update Online" through the satnav settings menu. Takes a few goes to both get the car to recognize the phone's hotspot and then subsequently it normally tells me there are no updates available the first time I try, but keep going back and trying again and eventually it will give a list of the maps that are available. Select the ones you want (I prioritized UK, France and Ireland) and it will download. When it gets to the end (green bar of the last map is filled up), it will then appear to 'hang'. Don't at this point select return at the top right corner on the infotainment screen or it will cancel the update. Just leave it, turn the car off and leave it for a few hours. The update will then happen in the background with the ignition off. When you next turn the car on, go into the mapping details and you'll see that it will list which version of each map you have - the ones you updated should be a newer version.

It is possible to do the update whilst driving. I found with a pretty decent 4G signal I could download something like the Southern half of the UK in about 8-10 minutes, however you can't use the infotainment for anything else whilst it's doing it or it will stop the download. Painful, but do-able with a bit of perseverance.

Note that if you want to do the entire mapping database this way, it's about 32GB of data, so you need a decent mobile contract that allows for big amounts of data, and the entire lot will take hours over 4G. No idea how much quicker it would be if you're lucky enough to have 5G, but would think it ought to be way shorter.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies.
I will check with Skoda Connect and see if the dealership has registered the car with them.
If not will try and do it myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys
Just a quick update.
I set up an account with Skoda Connect and tried to register my new car.
Entered the VIN number as was told that
Your vehicle is not equipped with both "ŠKODA Connect" and "SmartLink+ features".
I will visit a main dealer tomorrow!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Visited a main dealer yesterday (the first day they were open).
The salesman was very helpful considering i did not buy the car from them.
He registered the car with Skoda Connect for me.
We went out to the car and he showed me what to do next as i did not have the second key with me.
I didn`t know you needed both keys.
He talked and showed me through a couple of times to be on the safe side.
I got home and went through what he showed me with the second key and everything was fine.
He said that the salesman should have done that for me at the start.
I tend to agree with him.
I probably should have bought the car from him as he said "any other problems you know where i am"
Great service.
Just need to find out how to download the app now.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Happy days! Glad you got it sorted - sounds like you've landed on your feet with the main dealer as well. Shows that there are some decent ones around!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts