Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had car serviced. Does this usually include sat nav update? Version on my car shows 20/21.
Number starts with V0…….87 ECE 2020/2021.
Only asking as on recent trip out came across a few anomaly's, like sat stating 'at next roundabout take 3rd exit' only to be met with a set or traffic lights.
Not sure how 'updated' these systems are, but trying to get any information on the web did not help.
Phoned dealership, guy there says not up to date regarding sat nav!
So, turning to you guys for any guidance and thoughts.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You do your own updates. If you ask your dealer to do it, he'll charge you unless he's very benevolent.
Even with the latest updates installed you'll still come across anomalies with the system. In my experience, they're never completely up to date because any change to road systems take a while to filter into the map makers system. Also in my experience, pre installed sat nav in Skodas (and Hyundai) is not as good as my old stand alone Garmin which I keep updated for my wifes car.

Here's the Skoda portal you need http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB
Down load from here onto a memory card or stick and then upload into your car. I haven't done mine since last year sometime and mine is a 2021 version, but there may be a later version available now.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jjh281 said:
Hi
New to this forum
My VIN number is stated as invalid Any ideas?

Many thanks
Do you mean in relation to updating the sat nav ? In the three times I've updated mine, only once has it been completely trouble free, so you may have to try more than once.
Are you in the UK ?

·
Registered
634 Posts
You'll still be able to update the sat nav after the warranty has expired as long as you can get the portal to accept your vin.
I've just inputted my vin into the portal and it was accepted, so the portal is working ok. Stating the obvious, try it again and double check you've entered it correctly. If it still doesn't work, you'll have to contact your dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your comments, tried the portal you mentioned, however after entering my VIN number it came up with a set of instructions. Could not get a 'download' button.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Enter your VIN in the box and click on the search icon next to it.
In front of you now you should see and oblong box with the version that's available to download at the top and in the shaded area at the bottom you'll see an arrow pointing downwards which indicates download, beside which it says: 26,00 GB (zip).

Underneath all that, you'll see radio station logos which can be downloaded and underneath that you'll see "Other Software" and it will state just under that if there's any software updates for your VIN. For my VIN it says there currently isn't any.

Below that it says "STEPS". Scroll down and read them and then follow them. One of the first things they say, is that you'll need an SD card of at least 26MB, but I've used a memory stick which works just as well. Whatever you use, make sure you format it to FAT 32 before starting.

If this doesn't work for you, you'll need answers from someone here who's done this more often than me, or have a chat with your dealer. One other thing you could do if the above doesn't work and you trust me, is to PM me your VIN number and I can enter into the portal on my computer and see what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for taking the time to explain the finer details. I have managed to download the files and watching them as they copy to my folder I wonder when I will ever get to region 5 in Russia!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wgg1848 said:
Thank you for taking the time to explain the finer details. I have managed to download the files and watching them as they copy to my folder I wonder when I will ever get to region 5 in Russia!
Thanks again.
You're welcome and I'm glad it's coming together.
When you upload to the car, from memory it took mine about 45 mins and it's recommended that you keep the engine running whilst it's happening. To that end, I went for a drive to a supermarket and when I arrived I switched off the car, locked it and went shopping. I don't know whether the download continued whilst I was shopping, but when I switched the car back on, the download continued with no ill effects and by the time I'd driven home, it had finished.

I wonder when I will ever get to region 5 in Russia
Well if you do, at least you won't get lost - hopefully ??

Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've always had trouble updating via either USB or the SD card having downloaded from the internet on my MacBook Pro, even though I follow the instructions on the portal, the car never 'finds' the files, whether it's on an SD card or USB stick.

The only reliable method I've found that works (for me at least) is to connect my iPhone using its Personal Hotspot and connect to the car's WLAN, then go into Navigation > Settings > Version Information > Check for Update and then select "Update (online)" then on the right at the bottom, then "Retrieve". It will then search and you can then select which maps you wish to update. No point in downloading all of Europe, so I just selected "England South" as well as "England North, Ireland" and selected download. It then tells me it will be a 599.8MB download, which via 4G takes about 15 mins as it needs to download a Common EU file first. Do the download with the engine running.

I've found it always seems to get stuck right at the end of the last file, but just turning the engine off with it on the stuck screen and leaving it to do its thing seems to work eventually. I've now got the 2021 maps for all of the UK, but still have the 2018/19 ones for the rest of Europe.

Hope that helps!

G

·
scratch113 said:
I've always had trouble updating via either USB or the SD card having downloaded from the internet on my MacBook Pro, even though I follow the instructions on the portal, the car never 'finds' the files, whether it's on an SD card or USB stick.

Hope that helps!
Macs put additional files on the SD card or USB stick that the Columbus doesn't like or recognise. Apparently there are programs you can run to clear the unwanted data from the card/ usb.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As Kenny R says regarding using a Mac. The app which removes unwanted files (which might interfere with the update process) is called CleanMyDrive (others may be available which do the same thing).

On my car with Columbus MIB 2.5, I could never get the car to recognise a USB stick even though it clearly implied it would search for it and find it, but using an SD card worked fine. Also pay attention to the instructions regarding how the files are structured on the SD card

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cheers gents, but TBH as I've managed to update the UK maps to the latest 2021 version without the need of either the portal or an SD or USB transfer, I've kind of lost interest in trying to get the latest maps of Poland etc. as I'll never use them.

Perhaps if I ever head over the Channel then maybe I'll use the same method to update Northern France, but the UK maps are probably all I'll ever need.

Compared to previous cars I've owned though, it's good the updates are free. My Audi A5 had a DVD in the boot that you could only eject with the right codes via the OBDII port and a new disc cost somewhere in the region of £350 from memory. Just not worth it and as I owned that car for over 8 years, the maps were quite out of date by the time I sold it. I used to head up and down to Cornwall on a regular basis and when they built the new bits of dual cariageway on the A30, it was always odd to see the car thinking you were miles off road on the maps and would tell you to rejoin a road when possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts