Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,

Anyone who has driven both Santa Fe and Kodiaq, could you please provide a quick comparison on practicality, driving comfort and cabin space between these two?
Also how is the reliability of Santa Fe?
I almost purchased a Kodiaq but cancelled it later.
I am now eyeing a second hand Santa Fe and deferring the purchase of a brand new car for another year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
romanv said:
Second hand Kodiaq is currently not existing (I wonder who would sell now because I wouldn't) so if it is about money, go ahead with Santa Fe.
I am not looking for second hand Kodiaq romanv.......A year old used Santa Fe will help me save 7-8k over new Kodiaq but is Santa Fe as good as Kodiaq.?
If Kodiaq is much better then I plan to buy 3-or 4 year old Santa fe and buy Kodiaq next year. But if Santa Fe is quite practical and reliable I would rather buy a one year old and keep it little longer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've driven both (test drives), and the Kodiaq is far better to drive. More responsive, more quiet and negligible body roll while turning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Explorer101,

I have just swapped a 2012 (Latest shape) Santa Fe Premium SE (manual) for a new Kodiaq 190 Edition DSG
My job is a country vet and I covered 105k miles in the Santa Fe over the last 3 years on a mixture of roads and tracks. It was the least reliable car I have ever owned and spent over 8 weeks off the road having repairs. The numerous faults included two breakdowns (One when gearbox failed and another when clutch failed), electrical problems (Failure to start, central locking failure, other electrical glitches), failure of 4x4 system (Once due to gearbox fault and 2nd time when solenoid failed), suspension failure (coil spring broken) as well as lots of minor issues (door lock button failed, DRL's stopped working). My wife became reluctant to drive it after it left her stranded at a busy junction. Having said that, all issues were fixed under the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and the dealers were quite sympathetic.

In terms of comparison, I think the ride and handling of both cars are quite similar (Both with 19" wheels). The Kodaiq's suspension is slightly firmer and there's marginally less body roll in corners but the steering / turn in doesn't feel quite as sharp on the Kodiaq. Both cars are easy and relaxing to drive with comfortable seats. There's slightly more engine noise in the Kodiaq but more road noise in the Santa Fe. There's very little difference in interior space overall, but the rear seat legroom is slightly better in the Kodiaq, as is the floor area in the boot (especially in 7 seat configuration).

Overall, I much prefer the Kodiaq because the technology is so much more configurable and far less frustrating. Although my (top of the range) Santa Fe had plenty of features, they were mostly a disappointment. For example, the Santa Fe's navigation screen was far too bright at night and couldn't be made any dimmer (My dealers answer was to "turn it off at night"!), the keyless entry was slow to respond (You had to wait about a second after pressing the button before pulling the handle), if you turned off the radio / media, it also disconnected the telephone (The answer to this was to turn the volume to zero, but each time you restarted the engine it turned it back on again), the voice activation was so limited it was next to useless, the reversing camera was very slow to come on and there were no predictive course lines, there was no access to an on screen phone keypad during a call so you were forced to use the phone screen, headlights were poor (xenon beams lit up to both sides but with poor light directly ahead), etc etc... (I could probably list another 50 frustrating features!) It's possible that the 2016 update to the infotainment system fixed some of these issues but overall the Kodiaq's infotainment and technology is on another level. Other than the fact it's impossible to fold in the door mirrors when travelling above 30mph, and the road sign recognition frequently picking up 20mph signs from side streets when travelling along a main road, I've so far not found any frustrations with the Kodiaq's tech.

As you've probably gathered, I would strongly recommend spending the extra on a new Kodiaq rather than going for the Santa Fe. If there's anything more specific you need to know please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaveAldi said:
Hello Explorer101,

I have just swapped a 2012 (Latest shape) Santa Fe Premium SE (manual) for a new Kodiaq 190 Edition DSG
My job is a country vet and I covered 105k miles in the Santa Fe over the last 3 years on a mixture of roads and tracks. It was the least reliable car I have ever owned and spent over 8 weeks off the road having repairs. The numerous faults included two breakdowns (One when gearbox failed and another when clutch failed), electrical problems (Failure to start, central locking failure, other electrical glitches), failure of 4x4 system (Once due to gearbox fault and 2nd time when solenoid failed), suspension failure (coil spring broken) as well as lots of minor issues (door lock button failed, DRL's stopped working). My wife became reluctant to drive it after it left her stranded at a busy junction. Having said that, all issues were fixed under the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and the dealers were quite sympathetic.

In terms of comparison, I think the ride and handling of both cars are quite similar (Both with 19" wheels). The Kodaiq's suspension is slightly firmer and there's marginally less body roll in corners but the steering / turn in doesn't feel quite as sharp on the Kodiaq. Both cars are easy and relaxing to drive with comfortable seats. There's slightly more engine noise in the Kodiaq but more road noise in the Santa Fe. There's very little difference in interior space overall, but the rear seat legroom is slightly better in the Kodiaq, as is the floor area in the boot (especially in 7 seat configuration).

Overall, I much prefer the Kodiaq because the technology is so much more configurable and far less frustrating. Although my (top of the range) Santa Fe had plenty of features, they were mostly a disappointment. For example, the Santa Fe's navigation screen was far too bright at night and couldn't be made any dimmer (My dealers answer was to "turn it off at night"!), the keyless entry was slow to respond (You had to wait about a second after pressing the button before pulling the handle), if you turned off the radio / media, it also disconnected the telephone (The answer to this was to turn the volume to zero, but each time you restarted the engine it turned it back on again), the voice activation was so limited it was next to useless, the reversing camera was very slow to come on and there were no predictive course lines, there was no access to an on screen phone keypad during a call so you were forced to use the phone screen, headlights were poor (xenon beams lit up to both sides but with poor light directly ahead), etc etc... (I could probably list another 50 frustrating features!) It's possible that the 2016 update to the infotainment system fixed some of these issues but overall the Kodiaq's infotainment and technology is on another level. Other than the fact it's impossible to fold in the door mirrors when travelling above 30mph, and the road sign recognition frequently picking up 20mph signs from side streets when travelling along a main road, I've so far not found any frustrations with the Kodiaq's tech.

As you've probably gathered, I would strongly recommend spending the extra on a new Kodiaq rather than going for the Santa Fe. If there's anything more specific you need to know please feel free to ask.
Thanks for the very detailed reply Dave. It covered a lot of points.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts