1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
289 Posts
Evo tend to write about performance cars, or cars that can tow their track day cars to locations.

It's not the sort of publication for me. I think their write up reflects that aspect they look at, which is a valid opinion. I wouldn't call it rubbish. It just differs to mine as I have no expectation of the Kodiaq being a performance car. It's going to be my next family transporter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I drove a 2.0 petrol Tiguan to help me decide whether or not to go diesel for my Kodiaq. New Zealand has a road user scheme that is a bit of a pain for diesel drivers, and my first choice was always to go petrol - I just love the 162kw engine in the Octavia VRS. But in the end the decision was easy, the 132kw petrol with the 4x4 drive train felt anaemic and instantly forgettable. Yes it was very refined, it was very quiet, it was very . . . okay. The diesel, well, it had the mid range shove to make every day driving just that much more interesting and enjoyable, and worth the extra initial cost. Now if they ever drop the VRS motor in the Kodiaq . . .

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Hi Andy,

Interesting to see your thoughts on the TSI vs TDI. I'll be driving both this month to finalise my choice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It isn't a VRS Romanv, but in terms of driveability, yes I do prefer it. South Island NZ roads are all limited to a maximum of 100 km/h and any dual carriageways we have are dogged by poor lane discipline, so the mid range is where I will see the most benefit of the diesel. It's a bit different from my old weekly commute (North Devon to Blackfriars) but more picturesque, particularly as the mountains are only an hour away.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
What car did you have before the Kodiaq? I'm coming from a 2008 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 petrol CVT, which drives duller than a sphere. I expect to be happy with the TSI but if the TDI is miles better it'll have to be my pick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
AndyH said:
the 132kw petrol with the 4x4 drive train felt anaemic and instantly forgettable. Yes it was very refined, it was very quiet, it was very . . . okay.
Interesting. My sense was that the 2.0 TSI develops its peak torque pretty low down in the rev range (1400 rpm) so it should have a pretty strong mid-range. People have complained that the DSG box may be slow and using the paddle shifters makes for a much more exciting drive. I haven't driven it yet and am only hypothesizing, but still surprised at your impressions of the larger pertrol.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
jackiedada said:
AndyH said:
the 132kw petrol with the 4x4 drive train felt anaemic and instantly forgettable. Yes it was very refined, it was very quiet, it was very . . . okay.
Interesting. My sense was that the 2.0 TSI develops its peak torque pretty low down in the rev range (1400 rpm) so it should have a pretty strong mid-range. People have complained that the DSG box may be slow and using the paddle shifters makes for a much more exciting drive. I haven't driven it yet and am only hypothesizing, but still surprised at your impressions of the larger pertrol.
I think putting the transmission in S or engine in Sport in the Individual driving mode would help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Car Magazine did a review of the Tiguan 2.0TSi - http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/volkswagen-tiguan-20-tsi-180-outdoor-2016-review/
They state 'Remarkably, Volkswagen has managed to make the 2.0-litre TSI sound more like a diesel than the 148bhp 2.0-litre TDI Bluemotion, while the 187bhp variant of that derv-churning four-pot is blessed with considerably more torque as well as more power. So if you want a punchy semi-premium Chelsea chariot, it might be worth waiting for that to open for ordering' I can't say I noticed it sounding like a diesel, but then I genuinely don't recall much from the test drive as it was pretty forgettable. Zach, why not pop into the VW dealer up there and try the petrol/diesel Tiguan for comparison. Might make the decision a bit easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
I already have test drives booked for the Kodiaq TSI and TDI this month, plus I'm still waiting for confirmation of a 5 seater model so no rush. As long as I get delivery before the end of the year I'm happy.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Andy, FINALLY drove the Kodiaq in 2.0 TSI & TDI 190 form. I found the 2.0 TSI perfectly adequate and I wasn't asking for more power. The 140kW TDI was nicer though. While yes - the 132kW TSI is 'peppier' and moves through the rev range well, the TDI has so much low-end torque that you never need to go past 3.5k rpm to get to speed. Will be driving the diesel again to decide whether the TDI is worth the $4k extra since the 2.0 TSI is still quite good, but the TDI is great.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
romanv said:
Zach, thanks for confirmation that nothing is wrong with diesel.
I initially thought the diesel was going to be lazy and sluggish. It's definitely not. If I had to describe it in one word it'd be effortless. But is it worth the price difference? I need to find out with more driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts