Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I was hereabouts, for reasons I won't bore with. (5 days in Miami intensive care was a contributory factor!)
I had an Octavia before the Bear. Reversing lights are attricious on both IMO and I made an official complaint to Skoda. Zilch reaction.
I do lots of reversing (LOVE the camera) but there's a lot of guesswork on murky nights - I often keep left foot lightly on brake to add to illumination, but it ain't ideal.
So I have fitted led running-lights to back of the car, wired into the reversing lights. Worked perfectly for a few minutes, then the whole lot went out.
Anyone know which fuse protects reversing light circuit? It's not specifically mentioned in the Manual.
Also I've read on the VW forum that lights generally are controlled and protected by a processing unit somewhere, which might have spat its dummy and declared a Fault. Anyone know about this stuff?

Oh - Seasonal Greetings!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Try using your rear fog lamp

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More on this -
Disconnecting the new leds makes the original reversing lights work again. So it isn't fuse protected, but some poxy module somewhere.
The original circuit does however have the balls to power a relay, so will run a fused live feed from cargo 12v outlet to rear door. Deep joy...

Interestingly this from Briskoda forum -
"Unfortunately modern reverse lights aren't designed to light the way, they are purely to signal to other people your intention to go backwards."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can you not use a relay to turn the lights on; low current for the coil, and then pick up a mains feed from the 12V socket to the LED lights.. You can by miniature ones you wont need a lot of current I guess anyway.. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
billbobaggins1 said:
Can you not use a relay to turn the lights on; low current for the coil, and then pick up a mains feed from the 12V socket to the LED lights.. You can by miniature ones you wont need a lot of current I guess anyway.. :D
Yep - that's the Idea Bill, but getting the live feed wire to inside of rear door is a couple of hours of tedious fun, through the rubber ducting up by the hinges. I've done it before, and hoped it would be the last time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts