Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Skodiaq just over 6 weeks now and last Thursday collected a loud smack to the screen and a half crown sized chip.
The soonest my insurers dedicated glass merchant , Autoglass , could 'repair' it was today ( Tuesday). On Sunday the " chipped area' began to creep so I emailed Autoglass .
Yes on a Sunday evening ! , within half an hour, a gent from Autoglass called agreeing that it was beyond repair and I needed an H.E. screen and the Insurer will have to OK it.
Mainly as it is to be a Skoda screen, but it needs all the bells and whistles as its an Edition with Front Assist and heated. And, the car will need recalibrating?? , 15 miles away. Stone chips be ware.

Cant believe just driving along in a 37 mph moving queue on an open road has caused all this fun!.

The Insurance company L.V. have agreed a replacement O.E. Skoda windscreen as the Bear is under 3 yrs old.
So now I await for " Purchasing " to source a Kodiaq Edition screen , anything between 2 and 10 days ! Are there any in the country ?

Watch this space

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had the same issue as Autoglass had to replace the screen by request of my insurers and they replaced with a Skoda screen. They also recalibrated the cameras at their site (they cannot do it remotely as they need 4 wheel alignment). Everything went Ok...... ish.

As I am aware the Front Assist system is purely driven from the radar which is housed under the bonnet in the solid section of the grill. The windscreen en houses the camera system and is responsible for the optical bases systems such as light assist and lane assist, therefore replacing the screen should not affect the front assist.

The issue I now have is that the screen has been replaced and the camera system calibrated by AutoGlass, it worked perfectly well after the calibration but has failed in the recent few days. It's booked into Skoda for checking as I believe it's a systems failure unrelated to the screen replacement.

If you can insist on Skoda doing the work, the issue I had was that no Skoda dealers seem to have the equipment to calibrate screens so it ends up at an Audi dealer.

See my separate thread on the issue if you wish. It could be a loose connection on the screen but I'm not playing around with that.

Ironically Skoda quoted me £450 to replace the screen and calibrate the cameras but my insurers insisted on Autoglass which cost them £730 for the screen and an extra £211 for the camera calibration (I only paid the excess so it's no skin off my nose). Explains why insurance is so high as they wanted to pay double.

PM me if you want more details.

G

·
Same issue here in Ireland .. stone chip repair actually cracked the screen so Autoglass had to source one outside of Ireland ( none here , none in UK so it came from Belgium . took about 2 weeks ) . Lucky I don't have the cameras bells and whistles ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Beat This!!! Took AutoGlass 3 and half weeks to get a new windscreen for mine, after a failed repair..
Arranged a date for new screen as they told me it had a camera and needed re alignment, told time off work to get it done only to find out they had the wrong screen, rearranged another date only the for the technician not to turn up, then rearranged again and yet again the tech didn't turn up, so again rearranged tech turned up guess what wrong screen again. Finally got it replaced, they had to order this from dealer as none in stock, worst service I've every had getting a screen replaced.... :x

·
Registered
945 Posts
Should try Skoda Ensurrance, they dont give a sh1t about post sales issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update . Nothing found by Autoglass yet, but my local dealer has found one in a warehouse . But it appears no one is talking to each other!. Perhaps it will be sorted by Exit Day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, we bought our Kodiaq in October and we're just having our windscreen replaced for the second time. Both times the stone hit the heated / black side of the windscreen and it cracked straight away. I had it agreed with my insurer to have it done by Skoda, I had to pay for it and then the insurer paid me back, minus the excess.

I find it quite difficult to believe that the windscreen cracks so easily and have it done twice within a few weeks it's just strange...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Never drive behind these open back grab lorries.
If you can, scoot around. Otherwise, fall right back.

This is what the aggregate does in the back as the lorry drives through a pothole or a sudden dip.

Yup, speaking from experience. Also on my 2nd windscreen since Oct17. Bought in Aug17. Was defo a grab lorry.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Got a stone chip yesterday and whilst it's not cracked on the inside or the outside it looks like there's a small crack inside the pane. I'm about to make an appointment with autoglass and I've no idea if the windscreen needs replacing or not. Not sure if ACC will make a replacement harder or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ACC doesn't affect the screen, as that's in the grille. But Lane hold assist / traffic sign recognition has a camera mounted up behind the rearview mirror so it may need recalibrating.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Correct, when I had mine done Autoglass didn't even mention the camera recalibration but when I did they did their best to wriggle out of it saying they couldn't do it. In the end they do have centres that can calibrate cameras. Apparently customers never ask for it.....

They originally wanted to replace it with 3rd party glass which I rejected as the T&Cs of my hire are that original Skoda parts had to be used. They also wanted to charge £230 for recalibration, I pointed out they needed to repair the glass and it's associated systems to the original condition. They refused to cover these costs until I asked them for a letter taking liability for any damage or injury caused by them not recalibration get the safety systems. They gave up and paid for it.

Don't take no for an answer from them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
duncanlowe said:
ACC doesn't affect the screen, as that's in the grille. But Lane hold assist / traffic sign recognition has a camera mounted up behind the rearview mirror so it may need recalibrating.
I don't have any of that on my peasant SE L. Only other things that could effect it would be front assist (which I'm guessing uses the same thing that ACC does) and the possibility of the rain sensors /light sensors being in there. I doubt they'd make a difference but on the same token I've got no idea where they are.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rain light sensor is up there yes, but doesn't have any calibration. I think front assist uses the radar in the grille, yes.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
With the rise in Insurance companies asking if you have a dash-cam, I wonder why manufacturers don't at least off it as an option built in?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
With the rise in Insurance companies asking if you have a dash-cam, I wonder why manufacturers don't at least off it as an option built in?
I have wondered the same. A lot of people have one and if much prefer a built in one than an aftermarket job. I'd be willing to pay extra for the privelage to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The chip was "fixed" this morning. It looks the same, it's just filled with glue. It might irritate the life out of me in which case I'll need to get it replaced.

·
Registered
97 Posts
eLTe said:
Colin Lambert said:
I have wondered the same. A lot of people have one and if much prefer a built in one than an aftermarket job. I'd be willing to pay extra for the privelage to.
I'm sure the camera used for lane holding would be capable, though I understand its a black and white camera.

·
Registered
945 Posts
duncanlowe said:
Rain light sensor is up there yes, but doesn't have any calibration. I think front assist uses the radar in the grille, yes.
Front assist does use the front RADAR and you are correct the screen does have the rain sensor housed in it but the lane assist camera is also in the same unit and that does need recalibration on screen replacement. The front RADAR also needs recalibration if the bumper is removed or sustains damage (other than superficial).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jon Edwards said:
duncanlowe said:
Front assist does use the front RADAR and you are correct the screen does have the rain sensor housed in it but the lane assist camera is also in the same unit and that does need recalibration on screen replacement. The front RADAR also needs recalibration if the bumper is removed or sustains damage (other than superficial).
But the OP doesn't have that camera up there as he doesn't have that system.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It was a general answer to anyone who does have that, get over yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts