Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum so this may have been raised. My car was less that 2 years old and at service I was told that the rear discs were corroded and needed to be replaced, and new pads fitted, at a cost of £328. As I needed the car that week I felt I had to tell the dealer to go ahead. I called Skoda and raised a complaint. They tried to tell me it was due to where it was parked, it is not, it is on my drive, and that the car had not been used enough, but it had done 14000 miles and is used most days. Skoda called the dealer and asked them to contribute to the repair, but they refused. Since then I have not got anywhere with SKoda. They refuse to contribute or offer any explanation. To make matters worse my friends car which had only done 11000 miles and was 21 months old, was also in that week, and his rear discs were corroded as well. The service manager advised him that this was the third Kodiaq that week with corroded rear discs. How many people have had this problem. Skoda deny it is an issue, but I feel it must have been a faulty batch of discs. Also has anyone else had this fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can search the internet if you want details but bottom line is the parts used are of questionable quality. It's a common problem throught VW Group, not just Skoda.

Regarding your problem, I've never heard of a manufacturer instructing a dealer to make a contribution out of their own pocket. it sounds nonsense to me. Depending on the manufacturer and the warranty either the dealer will contribute ( usually in year 3 here in the UK ) or the manufacturer will ( years 1 and 2 ). However that's irrelevant as being a wear and tear item, your discs are not covered under warranty ( or rather I believe they're warrantied only for 1st 6mths ). When you change the discs t's best practice to change the pads as well so the garage was correct in the work they carried out. They're no point in pursuing the matter now that the work has already been carried out, if you'd moaned and groaned at the time, the garage may have offered you a discount to secure the business.

If you'd posted b4 changing the parts I'd have advised having them changed by a 3rd party which not only should should have been cheaper, but you have the option of using 'branded' parts with a good reputation. All that happens when you take your car to Skoda or any VW dealership, is they replace questionable quality parts with the similar questionable quality parts. If you defo wanted Skoda to carry out the work, then shop around and ask the dealership to price match a local business.

As you've already had the discs changed, what I suggest is every so often, or before you're going to park up, stamp hard on the brake pedal a couple of times when the car is moving and that'll remove any build of surface rust that still exist. It sounds counter productive, but with VW OEM discs, the rule of thumb is the more you use the brakes the longer they'll last.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Just as I think about it, whenever you change your wiper blades my advice would be to go for a blade with a good reputation such as Bosch Aero because the quality of blades VW Group use can also be hit or miss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was travelling south the following day and was unwilling to take my grandchildren in a car with sub standard brakes. If I had the time I certainly would have gone elsewhere. Interestingly the dealer had three Kodiaqs in the previous week all requiring rear discs and pads. Either the dealer is at it or Skoda have used defective discs.

G

·
If you didn't witness these severely corroded discs before or after replacement, we will never know if these were in fact sub standard or the dealer is just up selling to gullible customers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sandyboy said:
I was travelling south the following day and was unwilling to take my grandchildren in a car with sub standard brakes. If I had the time I certainly would have gone elsewhere. Interestingly the dealer had three Kodiaqs in the previous week all requiring rear discs and pads. Either the dealer is at it or Skoda have used defective discs.
As I said, this is a well known issue throughout the VW empire so it's unlikely the dealer was 'at it'. Secondly, your discs are NOT defective, it's just some of them seem to wear out faster than other brands. It's no different from buying a pack of unbranded AAA sized batteries from the pound store and a pack of Duracell AAA sized batteries - they all work, it's just the Duracell ones last longer.

Just console yourself with the fact that there will be someone who paid £10,000 more for an Audi badge but they too have the exact same discs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new to the forum so this may have been raised. My car was less that 2 years old and at service I was told that the rear discs were corroded and needed to be replaced, and new pads fitted, at a cost of £328. As I needed the car that week I felt I had to tell the dealer to go ahead. I called Skoda and raised a complaint. They tried to tell me it was due to where it was parked, it is not, it is on my drive, and that the car had not been used enough, but it had done 14000 miles and is used most days. Skoda called the dealer and asked them to contribute to the repair, but they refused. Since then I have not got anywhere with SKoda. They refuse to contribute or offer any explanation. To make matters worse my friends car which had only done 11000 miles and was 21 months old, was also in that week, and his rear discs were corroded as well. The service manager advised him that this was the third Kodiaq that week with corroded rear discs. How many people have had this problem. Skoda deny it is an issue, but I feel it must have been a faulty batch of discs. Also has anyone else had this fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my first Kodiaq delivered 11/2017 my local Skoda dealer replaced the rear discs and pads under warranty in April 2019, they were badly scored, car had done maybe 15k miles

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just an observation but my rear brakes on my Sportline last approximately 16k miles, the discs and pads had to be changed at 16k miles and the pads again at 32k. For me that’s excessive wear but according to the Dealer and Skoda it’s normal. The last time I got my pads changed I went to a local mechanic and he charged £45 including parts, Skoda want £349. The parts fitted are exactly the same make/spec as Skoda supplied.

·
Registered
2018 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 Edition 4x4 5DR DSG (7 seat) Metalic Blue Beige Leather
6 Posts
I took my car, an 18 reg, in for MOT a year ago and was advised there was rust showing on the discs but as I was doing low milage it was put down to that. Last week the car, now with 26,000 miles on the clock, was in for it's MOT and service with my usual independent garage who advised me both my discs and pads needed to be replaced. I thought it odd that they had both worn out so quickly but now having read previous comments I can understand why. My garage fitted genuine Skoda parts and with labour and VAT the cost was about £220.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts