Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Petrol Blue Kodiaq last week. Over the weekend I put a dressing on the painted body parts to help protect them. Whilst doing that I noticed that the finish on the paint is quite poor in many places. By poor I mean rough to the touch. It only seems to be on areas that are off the main angle of the body panel - so for example the bulk of the upper part of the door panel is fine (nice and smooth) but the lower part of the door that is at a different angle is rough. This seems to be the same on most of the panels.

I did not try claying the rough part - but I suspect that a clay + polish will smooth it out (will try this next weekend) - but that is not really something that I would expect to have to do on a brand new car.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing on their Kodiaq? Or should I be going back to the dealership to complain?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
No. My Jungle green is very good, as was my Petrol blue Yeti.
I would not try to clay it for at least 3months, if at all.
I would go back to the dealer BEFORE you you do anything to it.
I assume you are in UK? (please put location on your profile~ta)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
I would try rectify the problem with your dealer. Sounds like either an orange peel issue or overspray. If they don't want an ear of it, email Škoda UK and get in touch with a local detailer to see your options. Cut & polish should only be about £200 max imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for the replies. It might be me, my wife says I am very fussy, but she does agree that it does feel rougher in parts. I'll pop back into the dealership to show them, I'll also check out the finish on the one in the showroom.

Colin - yes UK based, have updated profile now.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Thanks, good luck with the paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
checked my Petrol Blue Scout and exactly the same story, top of panels are nice and smooth but lower down feels like fine sandpaper
Let us know how you get on, I'll be also taking this up with the supplying dealer

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car was the same. The 'valet' before delivery was awful. When I mentioned it to the dealer, they offered me a full valet at no cost... From the same mob as before. I figured it was best to decline and do it myself.

I had a few hours yesterday, which was enough to wash, polish, and wax the car. Everything is now nice and smooth, as it should be. 😊 A decent wax means it shouldn't need doing again for a few months, too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Badderss said:
My car was the same. The 'valet' before delivery was awful. When I mentioned it to the dealer, they offered me a full valet at no cost... From the same mob as before. I figured it was best to decline and do it myself.

I had a few hours yesterday, which was enough to wash, polish, and wax the car. Everything is now nice and smooth, as it should be. 😊 A decent wax means it shouldn't need doing again for a few months, too.
is this just a temporary fix? in that the paint should be decently smooth without the need for wax etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a temporary fix, no. Once you've got it smooth again, it should stay that way. I'm sure they leave the factory nice and smooth, but by the time they've stood in a holding compound (for a few weeks, in the case of my car), had a train journey (notorious for embedding iron fillings in the paint, from the brakes), and been cleaned with a gritty cloth that's been dropped a few times (by the 'valeters'), that smooth finish is most likely lost. Thankfully, it is very easy to get it back with some elbow grease, and then easier to stay on top of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a bit anal about paintwork, so I thought it was just me being fussy, so interesting to hear that others have the same issue. I ended up rectifying this myself I did not want the dealership to make it worse. I used a light clay which made it mirror smooth. Finished off with a layer of wax afterwards on for protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts