Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Potential new purchase - Kodiaq

10K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  BlueKodiaq10 
#1 ·
Hi All,

About 90% sure I'm going to place an order on the Kodiaq, I do around 8-9,000 miles a year, so am going to go for the petrol 2,0ltr, DSG either a lightly used edition, or new SEL.

Test drove a 2.0 (190hp) yesterday, and was very impressed, so much so that we ain't going to test drive the Discovery Sport!

If new i'm potentially going to go with the following options;

Caton sound (have one at home and it's amazing, however I thought the standard in the SEL sounded strong) - is it worth the upgrade?

Leather. (We have 2 under 4's...... say no more!)

Heated screen and steering wheel (screen in Northern Ireland is a must, and I had the wheel in my previous A6, so a deffo for me!)

Front and rear parking sensors (wife feels she needs it on a car of this size!)

Adaptive cruise - I'm a sucker for tech like this and missed it off my A6 when ordering it, and the forums I was on waxed lyrically about it!)

Rear blinds - hate the aftermarket versions as the kids tend to see who can be the first to rip them down!

Couple of questions from me:

1. What is the road tax for the 2.0 (in the U.K.) for year 1 and subsequent years?

2. Is there any option to upgrade wheels to the sport line spec 20" - I couldn't quite get the monthlies to work for a sport line, but really like the wheels.

3. I see there are a few here that have the 2.0ltr petrol, care to give any feedback on performance everyday living? (As there are none over here in NI to test drive!)

Any other thoughts / feedback would be great also.

Cheers,
Gordie

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!
Good choice IMHO. BUT depending on how desperately you need some or all of the extras you list. I would consider going for a demo or similar. You SHOULD save loadsa £££.
Canton.....Mine was FOC as an early adopter. I would NEVER pay £400 for it. As I am not a HUGE user of cds (I listen to 3, 4 classic FM & Gold) on DAB
I personally think Canton is an over hyped waste of money. I would much rather have been given £400 off the price of the car.
VED rates explained here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty/vehicle-excise-duty.
Wise move not wasting time on the Landy. (I have had 4, much older ones that gave no trouble, but I have yet to see ANY positive comments about them on this and or the Yeti forum.
Sadly, the great British institution that WAS LandRover, is now somewhere near the bottom of the reliability polls. :| See comments re Overfinch in thread LR VELAR by Lord Muck. Even at £154k they can't get it right apparently.

#3 ·
I have the 2.0TSI DSG. Before I got it, I was thinking of tunes, pedal boxes and so on but after a few weeks, even before it has fully loosened up, I'm quite happy and it is quite fast enough for me as it is. It does get moving from a dead start quite swiftly for a SUV.

#4 ·
try the Discovery Sport - with 240 HP it's way quicker and looks so much better than the already-dating Kodiaq.

#5 ·
Depends if you want to use your car or have it sitting the dealers a lot of the time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disco price Vs K for similar spec??

#6 ·
I let my kids choose some options. They wanted the canton, not heard without. Not brilliant to be fair but ok. Did not order acc but wish I had. Agree with you. Kids also wanted heated rear seats and their own climate control with tri zone. Heated rear seats a fail. Neither of them like it. Climate good. I am always hot, they are cooler and like the rear warmer. Personalisation of driver mode constantly gets itself muddled with infotainment radio settings and occasionally say nav zooms right out. Despite bugs I still like the fact the seats adjust along with other settings like climate.

#8 ·
Jeez,

Thanks for all the comments, and feedback. Yeah, slowly but surely going off the Disco, not as practical as the K, a lot more expensive for what you get.......

£5k down and £299 a month for a new basic SE Discovery Sport (no nav). SE nav is about £352 per month, and HSE is £418 a month. All with the 180D engine. Hadn't got the quote for the 240D as it's about £4K more on the list price, and whilst the future value may be a bit more it will easily add £50 -£80 a month on payments I imagine. Also - there are significant discounts included on the above, around £4-£5k dealer / manufacturer atvthe minute, so seems the pips are squeaking on diesel sales presently. Quite telling really.....

Kodiaq SEL 2.0Ltr DSG Petrol 7 seats is coming in at around 12-13% discount (£2k manufacturer contribution to finance with the balance by the dealer) + £1000 fuel. Which I feel is decent.

Off to see the VW guys tomorrow, wife is interested in looking at the new Tiguan allspace 7 seater (16% discount from launch on these), and the Touran (24% discount on these!!!!) As the cheaper alternative to range we have looked at.

My head and heart are already with the "Special K," but, as it's the Mrs that will be driving the most she has to be inside......

Interestingly the other option for us was an Smax, but trying to get a dealer to return a call never mind give me a price has been near on impossible, so out of principle I'm boycotting the boys in blue!!!!

Again, thanks for all the help, will be around to ask more stupid questions no doubt, and if (when!) we buy a Kodiaq, i'll hopefully be able to return the favour.

(In terms of the Kodiaq being dated, I don't think it looks particularly cutting edge, but I'm not looking at it from inside, however I think the sportline adornments potentially help the overall look tbh!)

G

#9 ·
Sorry. Quick one from me, what is the wattage on the SEL stereo? It sounded pretty good to me on the test drive yesterday!

Oh, and thanks for the VED info Colin, we've just moved house and haven't had the WiFi until today, so desktop has been powered down until now) - so I'm seeing £500 in year one then £140 a year afterwards......

#10 ·
If you are adding ACC then look in to the Assistance Packs - you get Traffic Jam Assist for an extra £30 basically if ordering new

#11 ·
HamsterWheel said:
try the Discovery Sport - with 240 HP it's way quicker and looks so much better than the already-dating Kodiaq.
Seems you have become a bit of a Skoda Kodiaq hater since you cancelled yours. There are many Kodiaq owners who have not had any or who have had few problems with their Kodiaqs. Not all have problems.

#12 ·
KodiaqDna said:
HamsterWheel said:
Seems you have become a bit of a Skoda Kodiaq hater since you cancelled yours. There are many Kodiaq owners who have not had any or who have had few problems with their Kodiaqs. Not all have problems.
An amusing character. I suspect at school he had the best games console, even better than that of his friends that had the same one. Yoda would be proud, the willy waving is strong in this one.

#13 ·
I won't get into the whole Discovery vs Kodiaq nonsense as it's all been said before and I have not driven one so I cannot comment although they do look good and are better off road than any other SUV.

I can compare the Kodiaq to the Santa Fe as I have one as courtesy car whilst my Kodiaq is being repaired (only taken 3 weeks so far as they can't get the parts - another story). As the Santa Fe I have on loan is below the level of my Kodiaq Edition but costs more it's surprising that the Kodiaq is head and shoulders above the Santa Fe in all respects. The Santa Fe is hopeless in snow, build quality is suspect, handling horendous, interior cheap and a sea of plastic, the radio randomly retunes to any station, connects to any nearby Bluetooth device and is quite possibly the worst car I have driven in 20 years.

The Santa Fe also has there premium Infinity Sound System, that is also sub par and not as good as Canton, I know the Colin Lambert hates Canton but for me the extra £400 is not to bad for what you get, the sound is better than the standard system without a doubt and you get the spare tyre too. OK, Canton is not the best audio system in the world however in audio terms £400 is nothing. Remember the quality of the sound from Canton (or any other system) iis only going to be good as the source, not many people on here understand this it appears.

The Kodiaq handles well in all conditions, excellent in snow (and we get allot) and is a far better drive than any other SUV I have driven , most except the Discovery Sport so for me it's the best of the bunch. Would

Would I get another one? ask me in 12 months when it's up for renewal but at this time probably.... yes if the vRS is any good.

#14 ·
If you're buying new, get the child pack instead of rear blinds. Bizzarely, child pack is cheaper and gives a small waste bin for the door in addition to the rear blinds for a cheaper price than rear blinds separately!

#15 ·
I don't have Canton and am more than happy with the sound.

#16 ·
bigboss said:
If you're buying new, get the child pack instead of rear blinds. Bizzarely, child pack is cheaper and gives a small waste bin for the door in addition to the rear blinds for a cheaper price than rear blinds separately!
Great shout, Thanks!

#18 ·
Jon Edwards said:
The Santa Fe also has there premium Infinity Sound System, that is also sub par and not as good as Canton, I know the Colin Lambert hates Canton but for me the extra £400 is not to bad for what you get,.........................
ERR 'Scuse moi!
I don't HATE it.
I simply think that for my tastes it is a waste of money. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it, but if I did have to I would never do so.
probably because I don't listen to that much music of high quality(!) and speech is not really affected by quality of the kit.
Very expensive systems in cars are to my mind always a bit of a waste of money as the driver is not sitting centrally and if the speakers are adjusted for the driver it screws it up for the other passengers. Also there will always be extraneous noises in a car..traffic, wind, tyre etc
The spare wheel is a bonus, as I would have ordered one anyway.
I should also add that my hearing is not quite as sharp as it was due to a life time of shooting, in the good old days when there were no such sissy things as ear defenders. Now I am paying the price. :shock:
So.... each unto his own. I've got it. It was free. It ain't bad but IMHO it ain't worth £400+ TO ME!

#19 ·
markymate said:
Definitely get the leather, it's much easier to keep clean than the Alcantara. Trust me, been there, and still wearing the T-shirt
This is going to be tricky, as now looking at Sportline, and no option for full leather - only Alcantara......... hmmmmm.

#20 ·
Car seat cover of appropriate colour for the sprog seats. Levva for you and SWMBO.
I have alcantara as 'levva' was not an option when I ordered mine, so I have done the opposite beige car seat covers (Ebay~ rears available in beige if that is what you have.for the front to protect from wax jackets and wet clothes from dog walking and rear seat 'au naturel' as rarely used by anybody!

#21 ·
andyvee said:
If you are adding ACC then look in to the Assistance Packs - you get Traffic Jam Assist for an extra £30 basically if ordering new
Was with the dealer speccing things up today, and I forgot to ask about this, to be fair, there wasn't an assistance pack on the configurator......... are you saying that this specific assistance pack is £335 and is ACC with Traffic Jam assist? (Does this help the sat nav navigate around jams, or keep the acc moving in slow / stop traffic?)

Thanks I'm advance.

Gordon

#22 ·
Traffic Jam Assist keeps the Lane Assist function active below 40mph basically.

Just noticed you are in Belfast so may have different options - download a price list from the Skoda Web Site, it is on the UK one

#23 ·
It's a uk spec car, no differences, but still seeing nothing on the configurator. Hmmm. Will have another look on laptop as maybe the mobile configurator is wobbly.

#24 ·
I'm glad I went for ACC as it's the best £300 I could have spent. Makes motorway driving so much less draining especially over long distances. Leather seats with a football mad son and his mates was a good option for me too.

2700 miles in now and really enjoying driving it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.