Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to think what could be the cause, Ok 180 ps isn't loads, but it should be decent.
In fact the actual initial acceleration is fine (I am not talking of flat out, just when you want to get to speed reasonably quickly exiting a junctions etc) but it seems coming out of a 40 zone and accelerating to 60 seems very unresponsive. Obviously I don't floor it or use too many revs as I break her in, but a prod on the throttle that should be sufficient to make reasonable progress to 60, just seems so lethargic.
It almost feels like its a software thing ... its dampening the throttle input, but if that's the case why would it feel as expected from exiting a junction but not when wanting reasonable progress from 40-60 ?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
This afternoon I was behind a 40mph crawler in a 60 limit. I floored it and reached 60 EXTREMELY rapidly. (dog flew backwards in the boot~ he's used to it!I :lol: ) then backed off immediately for obvious reasons.
If my 1.4 is surprisingly rapid yours should be even quicker!
I can't understand why Motor Manufacturers refuse to quote 50-70 times. Far more important than 0-62. Who gives a stuff what that is, you can't do it in town anyway so what the hell does it matter???

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope left in drive, I didn't need it to fly, just make decent progress, perhaps I just need a bit more throttle than I am used to having to apply :lol:
Obviously I don't want to be giving it full beans just yet, but was expecting it to respond better in those circumstances.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
romanv said:
Savage, did you switch from D to S?

Colin, in your age everything is sooo fast ;)
Roman, you are not wrong. The older I get the faster life disappears :cry:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm finding that to get good mid-range acceleration I do have to stamp on the accelerator to get change down. Then she flies.

The alternatives are to knock it into Sport just before accelerating, which changes it down one gear and makes accelerator more responsive, or go "manual" and select gear you want.

I'm finding I knock it into Sport quite often to avoid soggy throttle response - at roundabouts, overtaking, series of bends etc.

It's not the motor that's complacent, it's the DSG gear selection in D. To demonstrate this try selecting a gear that gives say 2,000 rpm and then accelerate towards red-line. If like me you're used to diesel performance, you will be delighted by the INCREASE in acceleration is the revs climb - it's like the engine is saying "Thank you"!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are probably onto something especially with the 7 speed.
In order to troubleshoot I have been paying more attention to the gear indicator, it had been in 7th at 40mph so naturally response was poor, and you do need a bit more throttle than I am used to using for the kickdown to take effect. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my experience the Kodiaq is pretty lethargic in selecting the appropriate gear for "brisk" manoeuvres. I too have found that pulling back on the DSG lever into sport mode has better prepped me for overtaking. I have had my (2.0 diesel) remapped which has helped with eventual power but agree that the car is set up for a more sedate (senior citizen) pace in general driving. I Do find the sport mode to be better than the previous generation of Skoda cars in which all it did was hold the gears way too high even if coasting. At least this sports mode seems a bit more logical. But if you read elsewhere on these forums we should not be expecting a sports car from our Kodiaq!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sports car was never expected, but enough power for safe overtaking and brisk progress are important to me.
Having been admittedly spoilt with the petrol vRs (no sports car but a plenty quick family hatch) the adjustment is taking some getting used too.
For me, the sports mode does hold upshifts until 4k, even on light throttle, which Isn't really the answer IMO.
But the foot is relearning its travel points for desired gearbox response, so we are getting there :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts