Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2017 diesel Edition 4x4 7 seat. Despite having had the car for nearly a year, I was cleaning it out yesterday and noticed to my horror that it has NEITHER a puncture repair kit, nor a space-saver! Basically, from a puncture point of view, I'm a sitting duck. It has nothing whatsoever.

First of all, am I right in thinking it ought to have one or the other?

Secondly, looking at the PR codes for my car, I see that it is (was!) supposed to have "1G8 - Breakdown Kit" (see attached). Would anyone be able to tell me what that actually comprises, please? (I literally have nothing - not even a jack or wheelbrace).

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Circle


Thanks!
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
Most models only have a spacesaver as an option.
Straight back to the dealer. tell them you want a spare wheel kit FOC as compensation for the cockup.
You might want to mention that you don't think much of their PDI, since they did not notice it's absence!
If they refuse and you want a spacesaver do NOT order a Skoda one! It will cost you a fortune. Go to your local scrapyard. I bought a brand new (Unused anyway!) spacesaver , with tools incl jack for £70. Or look on Ebay, If they only offer a gunge kit and compressor take that and have belt and braces when you get the spare. If going to the scrappy, make sure you get the wheel dimensions correct they are the same for most of the VAG midsize cars. Mine for the Karoq came from a Touran
The wheel diameter will not be the same as the OE alloys. It doesn't matter 16" or 17" is usual.
Centre Bore: 57.1 mm
- Offset 40
- PCD: 5x112
- Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts
- Wheel Tightening Torque: 140 Nm
- Thread Size: M14 x 1.5
- Trim Production: [2016 .. 2021]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, Colin, thanks especially for the wheel data!

Yes, as old man says, it's 4 years old now, and we've had it for almost exactly a year now, so the chances of claiming anything are small. I should have checked when we got it! I think I'll have to start combing the scrappers for a spacesaver and tool kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Worth considering having both the space saver spare and a compressor (wouldn't bother with the can of gunk though). Of course you'll still need the jack and a wheel brace to get the flat wheel off (as well as the little plastic clip to get the wheel nut covers off).

Also check which tyres you have fitted - if you have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde then they have 'seal inside' tech (other manufacturers have similar with different names but essentially the same). They were often fitted as OEM tyres for many Kodiaqs, but it did depend on wheel size and also as your car is now 4 years old, I guess you will probably no longer be on the original tyres, so it will depend on whether you or a previous owner has replaced them with the same or different brand. If you do have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde fitted then there's a good chance they may well keep you mobile for a short while if you get a nail or screw in the tread. It certainly worked for me and the tyre lasted at least 5 days with a nail in the centre of the tread, and possibly longer as I have no way of knowing when the nail actually went into my tyre!.

That said, also "borrowing" the compressor from my wife's Merc C Class estate helped enormously as it gave me the option of just topping up the pressure to keep me mobile until I could get to my local Kwik Fit, who amazingly repaired and refitted my tyre for free! I also found that when I finally gave up the struggle of trying to keep the tyre going and fitted the space saver, I found that as it had never been out of the boot in the 30 months since I bought the car, its pressure was only 4.1 bar when it's meant to be 6.0 bar. Without the compressor I'd have had no way of knowing. I've now bought my own 12V compressor (second hand off eBay) in case the same happens. Also saves having to pay £1 for about 45 seconds of air from my local Tesco forecourt...!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
Sorry, I missed the bit abut secondhand!
As Scratch said (and so did I). Spacesaver and compressor is a good idea. When you get a spare from a scrappy, they hopefully will include the tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
scratch113 said:
Worth considering having both the space saver spare and a compressor (wouldn't bother with the can of gunk though). Of course you'll still need the jack and a wheel brace to get the flat wheel off (as well as the little plastic clip to get the wheel nut covers off).

Also check which tyres you have fitted - if you have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde then they have 'seal inside' tech (other manufacturers have similar with different names but essentially the same). They were often fitted as OEM tyres for many Kodiaqs, but it did depend on wheel size and also as your car is now 4 years old, I guess you will probably no longer be on the original tyres, so it will depend on whether you or a previous owner has replaced them with the same or different brand. If you do have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde fitted then there's a good chance they may well keep you mobile for a short while if you get a nail or screw in the tread. It certainly worked for me and the tyre lasted at least 5 days with a nail in the centre of the tread, and possibly longer as I have no way of knowing when the nail actually went into my tyre!.

That said, also "borrowing" the compressor from my wife's Merc C Class estate helped enormously as it gave me the option of just topping up the pressure to keep me mobile until I could get to my local Kwik Fit, who amazingly repaired and refitted my tyre for free! I also found that when I finally gave up the struggle of trying to keep the tyre going and fitted the space saver, I found that as it had never been out of the boot in the 30 months since I bought the car, its pressure was only 4.1 bar when it's meant to be 6.0 bar. Without the compressor I'd have had no way of knowing. I've now bought my own 12V compressor (second hand off eBay) in case the same happens. Also saves having to pay £1 for about 45 seconds of air from my local Tesco forecourt...!
Just a point, not all Pirelli Scorpion Verde are "Seal Inside". My 2018 1.4TSI has Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/55/R18s fitted from new, and they are definitely not "seal inside".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
scratch113 said:
Worth considering having both the space saver spare and a compressor (wouldn't bother with the can of gunk though). Of course you'll still need the jack and a wheel brace to get the flat wheel off (as well as the little plastic clip to get the wheel nut covers off).

Also check which tyres you have fitted - if you have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde then they have 'seal inside' tech (other manufacturers have similar with different names but essentially the same). They were often fitted as OEM tyres for many Kodiaqs, but it did depend on wheel size and also as your car is now 4 years old, I guess you will probably no longer be on the original tyres, so it will depend on whether you or a previous owner has replaced them with the same or different brand. If you do have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde fitted then there's a good chance they may well keep you mobile for a short while if you get a nail or screw in the tread. It certainly worked for me and the tyre lasted at least 5 days with a nail in the centre of the tread, and possibly longer as I have no way of knowing when the nail actually went into my tyre!.

That said, also "borrowing" the compressor from my wife's Merc C Class estate helped enormously as it gave me the option of just topping up the pressure to keep me mobile until I could get to my local Kwik Fit, who amazingly repaired and refitted my tyre for free! I also found that when I finally gave up the struggle of trying to keep the tyre going and fitted the space saver, I found that as it had never been out of the boot in the 30 months since I bought the car, its pressure was only 4.1 bar when it's meant to be 6.0 bar. Without the compressor I'd have had no way of knowing. I've now bought my own 12V compressor (second hand off eBay) in case the same happens. Also saves having to pay £1 for about 45 seconds of air from my local Tesco forecourt...!
Just a point, not all Pirelli Scorpion Verde are "Seal Inside". My 2018 1.4TSI has Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/55/R18s fitted from new, and they are definitely not "seal inside".
The back ones are, (with a date code that suggests they were original equipment - (car has done less than 30,000 miles). Front ones must have been replaced before we bought it. They're Toyo Proxes. I'm currently scoring breakers for a spacesaver. Thanks All!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I've found the Pirelli Scorpion Verde's last really well - now over 27.5k miles from new and the rears are not even 50% worn (6-7mm tread left). Fronts are around 75% worn (just over 3mm left). I don't drive like a hooligan (any more, Your Honour!), but overall I've been pretty impressed with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
scratch113 said:
I've found the Pirelli Scorpion Verde's last really well - now over 27.5k miles from new and the rears are not even 50% worn (6-7mm tread left). Fronts are around 75% worn (just over 3mm left). I don't drive like a hooligan (any more, Your Honour!), but overall I've been pretty impressed with them.
I agree about the Scorpion Verde's.

Until I brought the Kodiaq I would have sworn that with all new cars the tyre manufacturers supply the car manufacturers with special "made from cheese" versions of their tyre range that were designed to need replacing ASAP.

My Kodiaq's tyres were in great shape still when I got rid of the vehicle at (I think) 25k miles or so.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top