Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people's views on this? How much are you being charged for paint protection? Is it worth the price?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wheel Tin Tire Automotive tire Paint
Watched a guy that does valeting on you tube he said most of them aren't worth it... Autoglym lifetime was one mentioned. And he said not worth the money. I use Collinite it's a high carnauba wax content.. Its Collinite marque de elegance. Deep shine and lasts well.. Brilliant on dark colours....
Or you could use Poorboys black hole with nattys wax.. Leaves a wet look on dark colours. I've used both and both give a lovely deep shine . me personally I've always used wax rather than these treatments helps keep the salt and other crap like bird droppings off the paint. Never had a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
My opinion is that it is another means of adding to the profit line for the dealer. I enjoy detailing my car and a good sealant or wax works better for me. The promise of a long life protection has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
MoominPapa said:
My opinion is that it is another means of adding to the profit line for the dealer. I enjoy detailing my car and a good sealant or wax works better for me. The promise of a long life protection has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Yes couldn't agree more! When you see how good it looks with proper wax. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Definitely. I started off using EGP which was okay. I then ran out and made the swap to a wax and haven't looked back. Am using Farecla G3 at the moment which isn't quite as good as Collinite, but easier to apply. A good resource for the uninitiated is http://www.detailingworld.co.uk

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I have only been 'suckered' into wasting £250 once. Autoglym paint & upholstery protector.
Total waste of money. IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
It's not worth it. It's better to invest in actual paint protection film.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all! I'll not bother then.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It all comes down to who is applying it, the dealer charge top dollar for it but get their valeting monkeys to apply it = waste of money.

Get a pro detailer to apply it (or something better) and it is worth the money.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes Gizmo68 your right too when it's applied properly you do see the difference. But I bet a lot of detailers would touch the stuff..theres one doing the rounds just now that lasts for a year and gets a great name is "Fusso softcoat 99",Japanese wax but it beads water like nobody's business..And its only about £20 for a years protection at that price. We should maybe start a thread for stuff like this.. Best wax or cleaning products for your Kodiaq or spares or stuff along those lines.. :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Fusso99 won't last a year ;)

@ O.P. As above, not worth it applied by "cleaners" generally on minimum wage and no experience beyond a bucket, sponge (eek) and shammy (more eeek).
Either DIY (iron-X treatment, rinse, 2BM wash, dry with MF towel, apply good quality wax) or get a reputable local detailer to do it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
lol im :lol: sticking to my collinite 915

·
Registered
503 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Fusso99 is good, but 4-5 months tops.
Fusso 99 or Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax are my go to ATM, topped up with Sonax BSD.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Need to try the sonax. Looks quite good.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use FK100p on the Yeti, cheap as chips and a very good all rounder.

For my Superb I splashed out on the Gtechniq Crystal Serum, this is in a different league altogether and still beading nicely 16 months on... however the price is also in a different league and requires applying by a pro detailer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've just spoken to a local detailer (with good reviews) and he's quoting £500 for the full "New car protection treatment" for the Kodiaq, including the use of various products including Supernatural Infinity (nano-ceramic coating).

I discussed alternatives such as regular waxing.....his comment was that this approach may be fine for an old car kept in a garage aside from the odd Sunday drive, it doesn't give the same level of protection (including UV) as a proper (and well-applied) paint protection product.

This is only the second time I've bought a brand new car, and last time I was suckered into Autoglym supposedly applied by the dealer!.....so this is my first chance to "do it right" from the outset.

I will probably go for this option......but would welcome comments regarding the cost (£500) and value-for-money.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The product itself costs only £49.....£500 is a lot of money for applying it!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Seems reasonable for the size of car and a for professional detailer. If he can fit in around you (normaly they need the car for a couple of days) go for it.
@ Bigboss, you are paying for their time, proper preparation and clean working environment.

I have just spent 4 hours on mine ... Washed, decontaminated, washed again and waxed with Fusso 99. Glass treated with Hellshine Abyss.

Sure its not a nano- coating, but its got good hydrophobic capabilities, good protection and will last at well (although I will apply some QD at next few washes, and that will keep it topped up).

·
Registered
194 Posts
For clarity, the treatment also includes the wheels, plastic trims, etc. (with other products e.g. Nanoflex 3D??) and not just the paint treatment.

Whilst I'm into property development and happy to "get my hands dirty" on a property, I've never been into doing the same for my cars, so happy to pay a professional to get this protection.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts