Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We've just completed our first road trip to the Cotswolds of around 600 miles with lots of motorways and back roads, these are our first impressions.

Overall, we love our new Kodiaq, it's rock solid, fun and the tech is great.

Specifically we like..
------------------------------
The lane assist and Adaptive Cruise control, speed sign reading and front assist - this is much more impressive than I imagined. On the main roads the car pretty much drives itself. I just keep a light control on the steering wheel and the car stays in lane even around bends, keeps the right distance from the car in front and if the traffic stops so does the car. It takes some getting used to but on a long trip I found it makes for a very relaxing experience.

The Dynamic chassis, most of the time we just leave in normal, but it's a nice touch to have comfort available for motorways and sport for back roads, it does change the personality of the car. I suspect once the novelty wears off we'll just leave forever in normal mode.

Canton Sound system - From rock music to audio podcasts the sound is excellent
iPhone App - At the hotel we could still keep an eye on the car remotely as the car has a SIM and data plan, we could even see that we had the locking problem mentioned below and go fix it.

We don't like….
---------------------------
Blind spot warning - The are so small they are pointless. We recently rented a Audi Q5 in the states and it's blind spot warning was a bright light built into the mirror housing, you simple could never miss it's warning. But this is little more than a tiny symbol in the mirror. Such a shame. Also I'm not convinced the passenger side one works as intended detecting cars in the blind spot, but I need to do more testing

Locks - Twice we've locked the car but then stayed around by the car which we believe results in it detecting the key and unlocking again, but then remaining unlocked as we leave. We then check the car remotely via the app and see the car is unlocked - The locking, auto locking, auto unlocking etc all seems very complex and I'm yet to understand it's behaviours.

Self Parking - We keep trying it and screaming in terror. It's our first time using this on any car and it's probably more about us building our confidence but the displays do not make clear to me what the car is trying to do - it's very complex. Fortunately, the camera system is amazing and manual parking is super easy.

Auto engine off - This maybe a regulatory thing but every journey you have to disable the auto-engine off, else I have no doubt I would die. The car is slow from a standing start anyway with the DSG but when it also has to start the engine it gets very scary pulling out into traffic at round-about etc. Shame the car can't remember our preference to keep this off, if on I have no doubt this feature would be my end and I'm a cautious driver!

Wind noise - when it's also a little breezy outside there is quite a bit of wind noise on the motorway so I'm glad I get to turn up the Canton sound system!

Cargo nets / Boot - Why?What! These tiny nets it comes with seem pointless and really hard to install. Why no colour coding or other way to easily know what goes where. I'm trying to find a way for cargo not to just slide around in the back endlessly on a journey. It's probably worse as we have the Skoda rubber boot mat in place.

Suggestions on any of the problem areas would be appreciated.

I must emphasise that my family love the car and we have no regrets on the purchase, mind you we're upgrading from a Mk3 Mondeo!

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great review! The auto engine off worries me - in milton Keynes area here so I suspect roundabouts will be a nightmare!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Engine stop-start is there to keep road tax down. It can be disabled by pressing a button, but has to be done each trip, as it resets at startup.

It can be permanently turned off - see Gizmo68's posts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mountee said:
Suggestions on any of the problem areas would be appreciated.
Mountee said:
Locks - Twice we've locked the car but then stayed around by the car which we believe results in it detecting the key and unlocking again, but then remaining unlocked as we leave. We then check the car remotely via the app and see the car is unlocked - The locking, auto locking, auto unlocking etc all seems very complex and I'm yet to understand it's behaviours.
Are you sure the car locked?

Once unlocked if you do not open a door then the car will automatically re-lock itself after 60 seconds, it will not open by just detecting you are close to the car you need to be close AND touch the inside of the door handle to unlock it.

If it is locked and then unlocking itself then it's back to the dealer as there is an issue somewhere.

Mountee said:
Auto engine off - This maybe a regulatory thing but every journey you have to disable the auto-engine off, else I have no doubt I would die. The car is slow from a standing start anyway with the DSG but when it also has to start the engine it gets very scary pulling out into traffic at round-about etc. Shame the car can't remember our preference to keep this off, if on I have no doubt this feature would be my end and I'm a cautious driver!
The start stop can be disabled permanently, but you will need to find someone who had VCDS to do it.

The slow pick up is purely down to the EU6 mapping, to prevent slight throttle adjustments changing the cars speed, the best way to overcome it is by fitting a Response Control box https://www.racechip.co.uk/accessories/response-control.html this is not a 're-map' as it will not increase the engines power but it does remove the 'lag' the EU6 regs have introduced into the car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
romanv said:
Did your wife left her keys in the car?
Thats a good point... the car will not lock if the keys are inside, likewise if you put the key inside the boot the tailgate will not close (it will start to close then stop immediately)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gizmo68 said:
romanv said:
Did your wife left her keys in the car?
Thats a good point... the car will not lock if the keys are inside, likewise if you put the key inside the boot the tailgate will not close (it will start to close then stop immediately)
Good suggestions, and maybe that was the case. Also one time I walked away and left the boot closing then came back and the tail gate was just half way down, that may also explain that one as well. Lots to learn!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
As many know I am NOT a fan of stop/start. In Poole the traffic is not heavy enough to warrant it & as far as I can tell saves no petrol whatsoever.
However ..... You can fool it. When you come to a halt, keep as light a pressure on the brand as you can just enough to stop the car creeping. Don't press hard on the brake. It takes a bit of practise, but it can be achieved.
Generally it won't work it the car is not up to working temperature.
If you drive in eco mode it will NOT stay switched off. Everytime you stop it will reset, limited it or not.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I came back to this post specifically re the locking issue.

I have found the car unlocked a number of times after I had locked it. It may we'll be something I'm doing.

But I had Kesey on my Octavia for the last 3 1/2 years so I know how to use it, and this didn't seem an issue then.

Going to have to keep an eye on this to see if it is an issue

·
Registered
724 Posts
In German forum somebody mentioned that with week 22 there will be a new Kessy.

@BigfootW: I see you don't have DSG :(

My Grand Scenic was also being unlocked from time to time. I couldn't figure it out why. And then many many years later my neighbour called me in the morning telling me that she unlocked her Fabia and my car lights went on - blinking. I ran down to my parking place and my car was unlocked :( So from time to time the keyless codes from both cars synchronizes. Lucky for her I don't use key because I have Renault keyless entry so I can't unlock her car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Still waiting for the full list of week 22 updates Roman

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok, regarding Kessy... it won't be a new model but you will be able to switch the Kessy off.

I also noticed on Skoda web page that manuals are always updated in May and November so every 6 months there are minor upgrades and price increases.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have travelled down from north of Edinburgh to west of Cardiff and I have still not seen another Kodiaq, where are you all?

Fabulous journey mostly on ACC, very relaxing, and 44 mpg on a very new 190 DSG!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm yet to see one either, travelled from leafy bucks to Essex to Norfolk and back at the weekend, but hey less than two weeks till I get mine

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
The slow pick up is purely down to the EU6 mapping, to prevent slight throttle adjustments changing the cars speed, the best way to overcome it is by fitting a Response Control box https://www.racechip.co.uk/accessories/response-control.html this is not a 're-map' as it will not increase the engines power but it does remove the 'lag' the EU6 regs have introduced into the car.
Anyone tried one of these magic boxes? I'm tempted I must say.

- However I've just checked their site and they don't appear to be selling them for Kodiaqs yet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
Gizmo68 said:
Anyone tried one of these magic boxes? I'm tempted I must say.

- However I've just checked their site and they don't appear to be selling them for Kodiaqs yet.
I have one on my Superb (190 TDi) and it is spot on, a friend ordered one for a Passat and it was identical to mine, I dare say the Kodiaq will be the same as the rest of the VAG group.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts