Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UK configurator offers a £750 option on the Edition model of "Bluetooth with LTE and wireless Charging" yet my detailed spec already notes "Comfort telephony with WLAN and LTE and • wireless charging". Does anyone know what the additional option is or is something corrupted?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Qi charger - wireless charging but not all smartphones support it. iPhone doesn't but it may have next year. You still could buy air-charge case for iPhone and it would work then fine. But keep in mind that iPhone 6/6s/7 Plus is too large to be uses with that case (length of the compartment is 160 mm).

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Bear in mind that specifications vary greatly from country to country. E.g. UK pays for top down camera, other countries can only rent it.
Check the configurator in your country for all details.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In answer to the original question, I believe you are correct in pointing out this is listed as an option. The above post by 'romanv' says QI charging but QI is just a standard of 'wireless charging' which is already indeed included with the 'Edition ' specification. Therefore all I can deduce is that you are paying £750 for a simcard built into the car somewhere (asbbluetooth and wireless charging come as std on 'Edn' models) instead of it using a paired phones data over Bluetooth. That a bit steep!

·
Registered
724 Posts
In Slovenia, LTE module with RSAP (if I understood correctly RSAP 'hijacks' phone's SIM and uses it in external LTE module - if phone supports it) costs 368€ or is part of Columbus Business package.

And w/o that module you still can connect Kodiaq's navi to your phone's access point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been looking at the Configurator for the UK Kodiaq Edition and in particular the Options around INFOTAINMENT. There are initially four option boxes that are relevant:
A. Care Connect 1 year and Infotainment Online 3 years £ 0
B. 3 years infotainment online £500
C. 3 years infotainment online with phone box £750
D. Bluetooth with LTE and wireless charging £750
The Edition comes with the Columbus Navigation System and so, according to the drop down information panel, INFOTAINMENT includes:
"ŠKODA Connect - Infotainment Online" for Columbus navigation system:
Online Traffic Information; My Points of Interest; Online Destination Import; Weather; News; Parking Spaces; Petrol Stations; Online Tour Import; Google Street View™; Google Earth™; Online POI-Search (Voice); Online Map Update.

However to use the mobile online services (ŠKODA Connect Infotainment Online) .., you need:

a) a mobile device (e.g. smartphone) which can be used as a mobile WLAN hotspot.
OR
b) the optional 'Business' telephone interface allows you to use a mobile phone with remote SIM
Access Profile (rSAP). Note: I can find no other Reference to the Business Interface within Skoda, so what is it?
OR
c) a SIM card with telephone and data option.

In addition to the airway contract between user and provider, required to power these options, the use of ŠKODA Connect Infotainment Online requires a separate contract with ŠKODA AUTO, a.s. online.

INFO. The remote SIM access profile (rSAP) is one of two Bluetooth profiles made for handsfree phone operation in cars. The advantage over the "Handsfree" profile is that the car has a built-in mobile phone device which connects to the external antenna. This improves reception quality. Instead of using a separate SIM card the car borrows the mobile's card over a Bluetooth connection
Is it reasonable (and correct) to conclude:
1. Option A is only providing Care Connect - nothing else - but it is still necessary to additionally choose one of options B, C or D. So in reality you cannot just choose Care Connect on its own.
2. Option B is the 3 year cost to access the Skoda Portal "ŠKODA Connect - Infotainment Online" and it is necessary to use connection method a) above.
3. Option C shouldn't be any different to Option B on the face of it, as according to the brochure leaflet issued by Skoda "Wireless phone charging with Phone Box" is already included with the Edition. This is a con! The Configurator does not show phone Box as being Standard and so this £250 is being slipped in hoping nobody minds paying twice. However If what they really mean is the Option relies on b) above and adds a built in Mobile Phone Device (MPD) to enable rSAP then they should say so and that would be the reason for the £250. However what is the advantage of rSAP over the host phones WLAN?
4. Option D tries to confuse us again as Wireless Charging is supposed to be included with the Edition. I expect this option relates to c) above and in reality adds the MPD facility with the addition of its own SIM card capability. This could be useful if travelling abroad when it might be more economical to use a local SIM. Or perhaps the car is company owned?
A point that would be useful to know is "Can Option D also be configured to use rSAP?"
Am I on the right track?
Sorry for the long post - a reason I don't tweet!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good post KodiaqGirl, and these are points im am still struggling with.

I have ordered an 'Edition' and as you point out, it comes with Wireless Bluetooth Phonebox & Charging.

I have also added "Skoda Media Command", "Travel Assist" - not sure how either of these communicate over the airwaves!

In addition - Skoda Connect - provides a number of remote services (for UK - last right column):

Source: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/connect/availability-list/

How do these work if you have the "Edition" like me and dont opt for the additional 'bluetooth with LTE' package. That means I am away from my car and so is my mobile phone, so how does the car receive a signal to 'honk and flash; same goes for viewing the car on phone map remotely (while out shopping in the city). The car must have some sort of sim card mechanism already by default to receive the signal and relay the information, over my mobile provider, back to my phone.

Otherwise - this Skoda Connect option 'Remote Access' feature cannot work. ??

Am I wrong?

UPDATE**:

After a bit more research, it turns out the Honk & Flash only works within 500m of the vehicle, the Maps works by uploading the GPS position to the Skoda servers once it pulls up via your phone. Same for vehicle information (its essentially last known info). So it doesnt connect 'live' to your vehicle.

The only one im unsure about is the Anti Theft info. This alerts you if your alarm goes off but this as stated by my premise above would still need a way of uploading the 'alarm alert' to the skoda servers. Maybe it uses the 'robbers' bluetooth! lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, you spotted a defect in my analysis! That is: "What happens if no options are chosen?" I can't find the answer through Skoda resources, and nowhere do I see that some of these Proactive and Remote services rely on the phone being in the car. On the contrary some of them expect your phone to be out of the car, and so, some magic trick aside, there has to be something inside the car that can communicate with the Skoda servers. If conversely there is nothing to fulfil that role then Skoda need to be extremely careful about what they appear to promise.
As an aside, my daughter tells me her Landrover Discovery Sport does seem to be able to communicate with the outside world without relying on her phone or an added contract SIM.
So we need to hear from Skoda much more clear detail of what is required to operate the system thereby enabling us to make an informed purchasing decision.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've just revisited the following link
http://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Kodiaq_NS/10-2016/Manual/Kodiaq/A_SUV_Kodiaq_OwnersManual.pdf
and am now working my way through some of the occasionally twisted English and believe it may provide some answers. It certainly talks about Business interface which I now know is another description for the external SIM module. I am also thinking the Columbus gives some flexibility and therefore the choice of LTE or Phonebox may not be restrictive.
It is unfortunate that it seems the dealers who went on the recent jollies to Faro and Bilbao were carried away with sea, sun and an opportunity to race around twisty tracks rather than finding out any real detail in order to answer the inevitable questions from prospective customers ready to spend a considerable amount of money! So it is left to the customers themselves - shoddy.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Well Kodiaqgirl, I have to congratulate you on your knowledge and research skills.

I started driving cars with carburettors, dynamos and no seatbelts. So I am totally confused by all the electronic 'gizzmology' of the Kodiaq.
I am very glad I ordered only a lowly SE L without everything you have been writing about.

The thought of completely autonomous cars scares the s**t out of me. specially after the Tesla decapitation accident.
Also I think it will completely remove the joy of driving as far as I am concerned, so I will never buy one.

Keep up the good work. because it is an area on which I am unable to assist or comment.

You are hereby acknowledged as the 'Gizzmology' expert!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
romanv said:
In Slovenia, LTE module with RSAP (if I understood correctly RSAP 'hijacks' phone's SIM and uses it in external LTE module - if phone supports it) costs 368€ or is part of Columbus Business package.

And w/o that module you still can connect Kodiaq's navi to your phone's access point.
I think you're referring to how the phone uses the car antenna as a signal booster?

·
Registered
724 Posts
No. Phonebox is already included in Style equipment. It contains wireless charging and ability to catch your radio signal and redirect it to external antenna.

I am talking about how navi connects to Internet.
Option 1: your phone becomes hotspot and Amundsen/Columbus connects to that hotspot.
Option 2 (LTE module is needed): Columbus has its own SIM card.
Option 3 (LTE module is needed): Columbus takes over your phone SIM using Bluetooth RSAP protocol. No extra SIM needed. No hotspot needed. Your phone works like external SIM.
Option 4: Amundsen has its own car stick.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
As I have said I am completely 'at sea' with all this 'tech'.
So please explain to this simpleton, does Canton have it's own Sat nav or is it purely a sound system using either of the above mentioned sat nav systems.

Frankly all four (Honda HR-v, MB A180, Yeti & Mitsu PHEV ) built in sat navs I have had have been over complicated rubbish and i far prefer my good old simple to operate GARMIN.

·
Registered
724 Posts
No. Canton is a 575W sound system (10 speakers + subwoofer) that needs a spare tyre. It is working great. I did test it in Kodiaq last week.

Canton can be added as an option without navi system. And navi system can be added without Canton.

If I am not wrong, Skoda is using Tomtom now and Tomtom is a great navigation system. I am using it in my Grand Scenic. Skoda also uses Tomtom Live info services for traffic information.

I've ordered Columbus system because I want to have 3D maps, Google Maps/Street View, online map updates and SIM card to avoid pairing with different smartphones,

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
romanv said:
No. Canton is a 575W sound system (10 speakers + subwoofer) that needs a spare tyre. It is working great. I did test it in Kodiaq last week.

Canton can be added as an option without navi system. And navi system can be added without Canton.

If I am not wrong, Skoda is using Tomtom now and Tomtom is a great navigation system. I am using it in my Grand Scenic. Skoda also uses Tomtom Live info services for traffic information.

I've ordered Columbus system because I want to have 3D maps, Google Maps/Street View, online map updates and SIM card to avoid pairing with different smartphones,
I don't think they're using Tomtom software but their own proprietary system with VW but I wouldn't be surprised that the traffic info isn't done by them.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Thanks chaps!.
I hope to God it isn't the same system as that in the new PASSAT! A friend of mine has that and it is virtually unusable in it's complicatedness!
So saying I rarely use sat nav as I know where I am going most of the time ;) and if it's too complicated for my ageing brain I shall stick the good old Garmin in the glove box!! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts