Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my Kodiaq for just over a week and I am one very happy customer. Having read the comments of other owners I had quite high expectations and have certainly not been disappointed. As many have said already the first thing you notice is the comfortable and smooth ride around town, on winding country roads and motorways. It definitely feels and drives like a premium car in my opinion. All the features and equipment work very well once you get used to them and combine to make journeys relaxing and enjoyable.

I have been driving manual diesels for the last 20 years but decided to move to the DSG 150 diesel as it suits my driving style. I have read quite a few comments about the DSG being slow off the mark but I completely disagree. In eco mode with stop start activated the car will turn off the engine just before you come to a halt at traffic lights. You sit there all quiet and relaxed waiting for the amber and then squeeze the accelerator and before the green you are on your way. If you are in sport mode by the time the DSG hits 3rd you are way ahead of everybody else. A small turn of the wheel when you are at a red light will start the engine if you want to be even quicker off the mark. I honestly can't see why anyone would want a faster car; I even left a BMW for dead that seemed keen to beat me away from one set of lights.

In terms of real world consumption, I have been very impressed with how frugal the Kodiaq has been in the first week. I was expecting around 40mpg from the 150 diesel DSG 4x4, but I am achieving much better than that. Most of my journeys have been between 7 and 20 miles with 2 to 4 people on winding A roads, around town and short runs on the motorway. I have mostly been using eco mode with the odd blast in sport mode for a bit of fun. The worst consumption was 44.1mpg and the best 57.6mpg. My last 5 journeys have all been over 50mpg. After only 250 miles I have averaged 48.7mpg.

Area View works very well with the front and rear sensors and is both helpful and reassuring when you are manoeuvring in tight spots. Blind spot detection is very helpful and will flash in your mirrors and vibrate the wheel if you try and pull out or move back in when there is another car in your path.

Car play works very well as does the DAB radio; I have only lost DAB reception once so far. The standard audio quality is really very good and is plenty loud enough for me.

I have managed to activate the front assist warning and braking a couple of times on one particular uphill sharp bend but have learned to keep applying small steering movements so the Kodiaq knows I am in control and this avoids the front assist being activated.

The combination of drive modes and active suspension give the Kodiaq very different personalities. In Eco mode (normal suspension setting) the car is very quiet and relaxed, coasting whenever you lift off the throttle. In comfort mode you seem to float along the road soaking up the undulations and surfaces. Some have said the Kodiaq wallows too much in comfort mode, but this may be if you are pressing on which you won't be in comfort mode, so I like it as do the passengers. Sport mode stiffens up the car quite a bit and is not a mode I will be using a lot but when you want to have some fun on roads with good surfaces you can do so and then knock it back into eco mode with the gear lever and relax again. I find the normal suspension setting allows the Kodiaq to handle very well and in all modes the amount of roll around corners is very small for a car of this size.

The adaptive LED lights are simply fantastic. The light is pure white and on unlit roads makes me feel very safe as I can see everything and everybody else can see me!

Overall this is one fantastic car. Never bought a Skoda before but I will certainly be recommending the Kodiaq to anyone considering an SUV.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thats a really good review. Great to hear opinions once youve settled into it.

Good comments about stop start and DSG: im in similar boat in that ive only ever driven manuals but thought id give the auto a go, so its good to hear its worked out for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great review. I was really sceptical about the DSG criticism as I couldn't believe Skoda's flagship model could be so bad.

I really can't wait to get my hands on my bear. It arrives on Wednesday after an excruciating post build transport path. Build week 17, sat in Emden for 2 weeks before making a ship to Grimsby where it sat for another 11 days. Skoda seemed to making a point of sticking to their most pessimistic time scales. It arrived at the dealer on Thursday and will finally make it to me in a few painful days. Demand seems very high as the delivery forecasts have slipped to the autumn and the PCH prices have shot up since I ordered mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have just had a blast along the M6 and down the M56. (190, DSG).
I do get the lag that others have mentioned, and im leaving it Sport mode as well. On busy junctions I am having to really wait or plant my foot. Maybe its the level of travel im not used to.

I have had a 3.0 A6 DSG, but I should not compare, its not that kind of car. Its just if I pull out of a junction wit my foot down, the car bumbles forward, its not until about 1.5/2 seconds later it picks up! Maybe I just need to get used to a different driving style and learn to anticipate. (not a bad thing, just different).

MPG is around 41 mpg :\

something else, fairly long drive with wife and baby in the back. Given the large cabin space, she kept moaning she was freezing in the back, I put the heat right up and I was getting boiled but I could tell it was cooler in the back then I pulled over. The back vents wernt pushing out as much hot as the front, There is a large cabin to fill! With hindsight, I should have opted for the tri-zone climate control rather than this daft Media Command which I cannot get working (and I work in IT!). More thoughts to follow im sure. Still an absolutely fantastic motor,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Update: I got Media Command working! it is really good, change radio stations, browse the in-car SD card and select music to play (and its as quick to browse/scroll as the in-car-display), change car volume, instant mute, plan and set nav destinations. Great for long drives with the missus. Stops me being distracted.

Annoyances:

Media command can only be connected to the car via the cars hotspot, but.. the car also HAS to have an active internet connection (for some unknown reason). This means that you will most likely always need two devices in the car. One for the car to use data from via (WLAN) and the other to run Media Command via the cars HOTSPOT (both running at the same time). It doesnt make any sense to me that it requires an active internet connection since the phone/tablet should only be talking to the cars internal infotainment system, nothing more. IAs im typing this out, I just realised that the APP uses google maps to display the cars current location and for nav planning, if thats the reason the APP wont load thats poor because I would rather not have access to that but could access the internal infotainment system. (it would mean that the only thing to setup in any given journey is the hotspot, nothing more).

Also, it doesn't work from the phone which is the data provider and connected to the car via WLAN. This is a pain as this means my phone (the main drivers) I cannot use to test it out etc. I will always need my wifes phone or another device.

Will post some pics now on the main "Arrival" thread.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Deeps said:
Great review. I was really sceptical about the DSG criticism as I couldn't believe Skoda's flagship model could be so bad.
I am not now convinced the Kodiaq is the flagship model, don't get me wrong it is good but it is not up there with the Superb despite costing approx £5k more for an equivalent model.

"How dare you" I can hear you say well for instance: (this is on a 190TDi DSG 4x4 Edition)

• Soft touch plastics on the front doors but not the rear doors
  • Leather feels quite course (this maybe down to the fact my Superb is ventilated??)
  • Disappointed to see the ambient lighting does not extend to the dash and the door handles and air vents are not illuminated
  • ACC should be std IMO
  • No adaptive lighting?

The bits I am impressed with are:

• LED headlights, very impressive
  • Area view, this to me is a must have
  • Ride quality... but I would still spec DCC
  • Memory seat for driver AND passenger

Some bits where the quality was quite poor:

• Chrome trim around windows all marked badly with white corrosion spots
  • Interior door handles creak quite bad
  • Plastic trims on the bottom of the doors are easy to catch with your feet when getting out in a tight parking bay, this just requires a different approach though to overcome it.
  • Steering had grinding noise at low speed

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Definitely disappointed about the lack of soft touch plastic on the rear doors. My Kodiaq (and all the Kodiaqs I've driven) have the ventilated seats which are fairly plush. I wish the LED system has the same Light Assist system as Superb too but not really disappointed about no ambient lighting on door handles/air vents/dash. I'll have to check the chrome trip when mine comes - haven't read about corrosion before on the Kodiaqs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Disappointed - really? The Tiguan is the same (hard plastic on rear doors) and interestingly, the new Audi Q5 has hard plastic on the tops of the front doors. Personally, I won't be in the back of my Kodiaq often if at all, and it is what it is, so I won't let it bother me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
:evil:
AndyH said:
Disappointed - really? The Tiguan is the same (hard plastic on rear doors) and interestingly, the new Audi Q5 has hard plastic on the tops of the front doors. Personally, I won't be in the back of my Kodiaq often if at all, and it is what it is, so I won't let it bother me.
The harder wearing the plastic is the better for me. My two year old will be back there bashing all sorts off it. The only soft touch he's getting is his mum.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The Kodiaq is more plush than the Tiguan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
darkKnight54 said:
Media command can only be connected to the car via the cars hotspot, but.. the car also HAS to have an active internet connection (for some unknown reason). This means that you will most likely always need two devices in the car. One for the car to use data from via (WLAN) and the other to run Media Command via the cars HOTSPOT (both running at the same time).
I have an WiFi router with 4G connection. The car is connected to it. The cars hotspot is active and my iPad is connected there. But I can't get my media command to work. I contacted the dealer but it seems that today's car is to advanced for them with different apps and configuration. Can you explain more of your setup.

·
Registered
130 Posts
bigboss said:
The Kodiaq is more plush than the Tiguan.
I checked out the new 7 Seat Tiguan last weekend at the dealers while attending the NZ Karoq launch.
It looked like VW rushed it. Not as much room in the back seats. The boot floor humps up. The door pillars are painted like the Kodiaq, and hard plastic on the back door card. With no umbrellas or door protectors, if it was a blind test I would class the VW as a budget model (that costs more).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts