Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There does not appear to be any indication on the instrument cluster of the main beam being on. Is this the same for all or is mine faulty? Perhaps it's a skoda thing but I like to be able to know for sure main beam is on during poor visibility.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Jacro said:
There does not appear to be any indication on the instrument cluster of the main beam being on. Is this the same for all or is mine faulty? Perhaps it's a skoda thing but I like to be able to know for sure main beam is on during poor visibility.
Thanks
Are you talking main HIGH beam?
If so then there should be a blue indicator light in the instrument cluster.
If you mean headlight LOW beam then NO! This is another of Skoda's 'Simply Stupid' ideas.
On dingy wet days like to today (in Poole at least!) when anybody with half a brain cell has their headlights on (that includes ALL Kodiaq drivers of course! :lol: )
You have to take your eyes off the road, glance down at the lighting switch and try to determine if the headlights are on.
At night of course no problem, but Skoda's brain cell obviously ran out of fuel and they did not realise that it is ridiculous in bad road conditions to take your eyes off the road.
This is specially pertinent if you leave your lights on 'auto' as most of us do.
Sorry Skoda, Could try harder, 0/10 for this one!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Colin, you are going to have to cheer up or it will seriously affect your health, and while I quite like this forum, the constant cup half empty approach . . . Jees. Just leave your lights on Auto, but in any case you have DRLs don't you? I'm with Skoda on this one, and there is very little point putting a green light on the dashboard if one has to remove one's head from one's arse to see it!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
AndyH said:
Colin, you are going to have to cheer up or it will seriously affect your health, and while I quite like this forum, the constant cup half empty approach . . . Jees. Just leave your lights on Auto, but in any case you have DRLs don't you? I'm with Skoda on this one, and there is very little point putting a green light on the dashboard if one has to remove one's head from one's arse to see it!!
😂 👍

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sprower said:
AndyH said:
😂 👍
My be next time skoda have a revamp they will put a heads up display on to the windscreen like in fighter jets, no need to take eyes off the road then 😂😂&#x1f44d-1f3fb;

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, having had Volvos and BMWs for the last 20 years or so, can somebody please tell me whether the 'normal' lights are always on, as on the Volvo, or do they come on as and when needed, as in the BMW? Yes, I know, I can get out there and check it myself (if and when I finally get the Kodiaq) but guess I am just impatient. I guess I'll have the LED lights? (Edition model) Thank you

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AndyH said:
Should have clearly stated with light switch on auto. In my experience you can not always trust the sensors to switch lights on in poor visibility. It would be very reassuring, inexpensive and some may say, oh I don't know, something like"simply clever" perhaps to put a little green light beside the blue one to indicate lights are definitely on as not leave me guessing. Safety first guys and dolls!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
But that is kind of the point, having sensors doesn't (yet) remove all decision making from the driver. Skoda fits a switch where you can select side lights or headlights, if you want or need to, for that very reason. Personally I have found Auto to function satisfactorily in various different brands of vehicle, Skoda is no exception, and it has not caused me an issue. I struggle to think of a scenario when I would need to reach for the switch in daylight, perhaps fog, but in that case I would be heading for the fog lights (which involves the switch) and I certainly don't need a dashboard light to tell me that more than DRLs is necessary. I've lost count of the number of numptys I've followed on UK motorways with their fog lights on for no apparent reason - and no doubt they have 'safety' warning lights glaring away on the dashboard to remind them of that fact. Stupid is as stupid does, my Mama used to say . . . !

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
AndyH said:
I am VERY cheerful thanks. I just like taking the P out of Skoda when they do stupid things! (most non VAG manufacturers, as far as I am aware have a telltale for low beam.)
I am NOT complaining about it. as I do ALWAYS leave my lights on auto. So it really doesn't worry me at all.
Sorry if you all think I am a glass half empty type. I'm not, but one of my failings is that I am an inveterate p*ss taker.
For which I apologise. Most of my questionable comments are said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. All those that know me on a personal level tell me what a fantastic sense of humour I have. Perhaps though, it is an acquired taste. :lol:
In future I will just try to be my normal helpful self and answer the question (if I can) without adding any spurious and obviously upsetting comments, even if said tongue in cheek.
Note to self. Stop being a prat upsetting people who do not agree with your odd sense of humour!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
AndyH said:
I am VERY cheerful thanks. I just like taking the P out of Skoda when they do stupid things! (most non VAG manufacturers, as far as I am aware have a telltale for low beam.)
I am NOT complaining about it. as I do ALWAYS leave my lights on auto. So it really doesn't worry me at all.
Sorry if you all think I am a glass half empty type. I'm not, but one of my failings is that I am an inveterate p*ss taker.
For which I apologise. Most of my questionable comments are said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. All those that know me on a personal level tell me what a fantastic sense of humour I have. Perhaps though, it is an acquired taste. :lol:
In future I will just try to be my normal helpful self and answer the question (if I can) without adding any spurious and obviously upsetting comments, even if said tongue in cheek.
Note to self. Stop being a prat upsetting people who do not agree with your odd sense of humour!
Don't change Colin (you're probably too old to anyway). I like having a Victor Meldrew type around.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No Victor Meldrew jokes here....honest!

Personally with DRLs and an auto setting I don't miss not having a green "dipped headlights" indicator at all. However, a tell-tale sign that the lights have switched on in lower visibility / low-light conditions is that the infotainment and dash display go into night mode 😀

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Thanks for that Hugh! :D
I'm glad I'm not alone in the wilderness!!
I know I have a go at Skoda quite a lot, But what people don't realise is that I had a VERY frustrating time with them after I had ordered the K. (as have many others!)
So I have a pop at them in jest when I feel it is required.
I am not sure why AH feels the way he does.
I have always praised Skoda at every available opportunity, but also passed comment where I feel it is justified.
I would hardly bang on about them when I am on my 5th Skoda and have no intention of ever changing to another make.
If I think they have done something stupid I will say so.
I hope that everyone on this forum feels entitled to their own opinion? Otherwise it would be a boring old world.
Perhaps more use of emoticons might make the situation clearer. This is the trouble with the written word when the reader cannot see the writer's facial expressions. :D :D :D :D !
I think that this should be the end of this particular subject. I have got the message and I promise to be less critical and appear much happier ;)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Sprower said:
No Victor Meldrew jokes here....honest!

Personally with DRLs and an auto setting I don't miss not having a green "dipped headlights" indicator at all. However, a tell-tale sign that the lights have switched on in lower visibility / low-light conditions is that the infotainment and dash display go into night mode 😀
I don't BELEEEEV-it! :lol:
That must be another Edition difference Vs the SE L. I have been driving about all day with my headlights on (and on auto) and the sat-nav and instruments have remained at day-time brightness until i went into a dark area and THEn the sat-nav went dim. So perhaps there is another sensor lurking at the back of the mirror.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am unsure if it's on the Kodiaq (still waiting) but on my Octavia vRS if the lights are on auto and they are switched on by the system the symbol on the rotary dial turns on green rather than being unlit. There is no light indicator on the main display pod.

If the rotary dial is turned to another option it then lights up the selection in green. From what I understand there is no legal requirement for drivers to be warned about side lights or dipped beam being activated, only full beam and fog lights.

For Volvo drivers (who we all love) the cars have daylight running lights for visibility.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jon Edwards said:
I am unsure if it's on the Kodiaq (still waiting) but on my Octavia vRS if the lights are on auto and they are switched on by the system the symbol on the rotary dial turns on green rather than being unlit. There is no light indicator on the main display pod.

If the rotary dial is turned to another option it then lights up the selection in green. From what I understand there is no legal requirement for drivers to be warned about side lights or dipped beam being activated, only full beam and fog lights.

For Volvo drivers (who we all love) the cars have daylight running lights for visibility.
I've been at work all day and didn't get a chance to put in the above. Yes, this is the case with the Kodiaq. The lighting around the rotary dial changes when dipped beams are on in auto mode. If only DRL then only the auto symbol is lit. If dipped beams are on in auto mode, then that symbol also gets lit.

·
Registered
945 Posts
MoominPapa said:
Jon Edwards said:

I've been at work all day and didn't get a chance to put in the above. Yes, this is the case with the Kodiaq. The lighting around the rotary dial changes when dipped beams are on in auto mode. If only DRL then only the auto symbol is lit. If dipped beams are on in auto mode, then that symbol also gets lit.
Now that's simply clever, it it Mr Lambert?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
[/quote]

Now that's simply clever, it it Mr Lambert?
[/quote]

It certainly is! And I am aware of all that.
My point was that the low beam green light is very small & one has to take eyes off road to check & surely it would be better to have green light on instrument cluster as others do. That's all.
I think this has probably been done to death now hasn't it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I prefer no symbol on the dash as having one for the lights just makes it cluttered. I dislike the symbol for lane assist when I've activated it on the motorway, so I am glad it is this way. It should be noticeable which light is on from observation (reflections, interior lights etc).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MoominPapa said:
I prefer no symbol on the dash as having one for the lights just makes it cluttered. I dislike the symbol for lane assist when I've activated it on the motorway, so I am glad it is this way. It should be noticeable which light is on from observation (reflections, interior lights etc).
Nonsense. Observations, reflections, drl's. I want a green light on dash, like we've had for years, to tell me my main beam is on. There's one for high beam, front fogs, rear fogs, there's even one to tell me what gear I'm in. Arghhhhh!!!!! I want a green main beam light. AND I want it NOW!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts