Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my take on a few things, not a complaints as much as observations (mostly) !

ACC, minimum distance is still quite far, I am finding I have to change lane for a pass on dual carriageways earlier than I would normally, and when I get passed and the car changes back into my lane often the car slows momentarily.
Having said that, its such a handy step up from regular CC I wouldn't be without it.
I don't think I would want to use it as a traffic jam assist like some do though !

Park sensors/Area View.
These tend to go into panic mode (constant beep) even earlier than the Octavia's rear ones did.
I rolled up to a post in front of a supermarket parking bay, the sensors told me I was close, the screen looked close, but when I got out I was about foot away !
On the plus side, the red line on the rear camera view (I would like to think by design ? ) is perfect for letting you know how much room is required to open the tailgate.

Skoda connect seems a bit odd, in that it seems to not update often once you have got out of the car, and its vehicle location has yet to tell me I am parked outside my house, apparently its been in both my neighbours though :lol:
Seems if they could enable real time locations, it would make a handy tracker if the vehicle was stolen.
That said, the honk and flash option may yet come in handy, I have lost my car in some open car parks before :oops:

Key fob design still not improved to prevent accidental presses while in pocket, I have been looking for a silicone cover that I could cut out the buttons to make a recess in. but I can not find anything for the Kessy fob.
Talking of Kessy, first car I have had it on and love it.

DAB on this car actually works ! All the 4 previous vehicles that I had with DAB kept dropping signal frequently, so far this has not done it once.
Unconvinced the Canton is that much better than the standard system in my old Octavia, I got it free but had I paid for it I can't say I would have thought it worth the extra. I have yet to try out a FLAC file yet, so I may come around !
The screen itself is excellent, and having had earlier generations in previous Skoda's, I know where things are, don't forget to have a small MF cloth in the glovebox for cleaning the screen (as well as a packet of wet wipes for removing bird droppings from the bodywork) :geek:

The connected services (googlemaps, petrol prices etc) are IMO a gimmick, I certainly won't be paying to continue those after the first year, (well googlemaps is being discontinued then anyways).
Speaking of which, I think the initial hype of connected car was misleading, requiring either a high cost LTE option (and you still have to buy and pay for a sim) or the use of your own phone to connect .... in fact using tethering my phone can make any car I am in a wifi zone !

Being a bit OCD when it comes to wires, I do love the wireless charging box though.

LED lights are fantastic :cool:
Light assist, had this enabled via VCDS in my first O3, but couldn't get it to work in the second O3 and missed it.
Glad I have it again, but having to keep telling it to work every ignition restart is unnecessary, once on leave on unless I turn off is how I prefer things.

Same goes for stop start, but I automatically hit the off button when starting the car now, having had it on the last 3 cars.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
My comments on my under specc'd peasant version ;)
ACC . Don't have it.
Parking sensors/camera. Me sensors only front and rear. constant bleat is set at 10 inches.
Connect. Don't have it.
Key fob. If you ask your dealer nicely he might give you a carbon fibre (looking) belt loop and clip. I dangle it from my belt. Never activates unless required and don't have to fumble in my pocket.
(Sorry abut the 'Australian' Picture. I rotated it on Pbucket but Forum has turned it upside down!)
DAB. [email protected], not the car, the transmission in my area.
Connected services. I have managed without them all my life and don't want them. I certainly won't pay for them. I think it is a rip-off. They kept bleating on , before launch, about the connected services especially the 999 button and none of them are standard after the first free period.
Very naughty!
Wireless charging. Not available in peasant version.
LED Lights Best lights I have ever had (and they still do their little dance, as did my Yeti. Being of childish mind, it never cease to amuse me! Little things please little minds! :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oy Colin, leave it alone with the 'peasant version'. I have an SE on order. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

On the ACC front, I've had this now in three cars including a Mazda 6, Audi a6 and now the Kodiaq so have now been using for around 3 years. They are all similar as you describe where the minimum distance is quite far.

I guess the reason is to avoid people suing them for crashing or being stupid, personally using in slow moving traffic i.e. rush hour on a motorway or cruising along at a very set speeds it's fantastic.

When needing to be more aggressive this is where I get frustrated as you say, the car is sometimes to slow to pull out when changing lanes when you have ACC on. The other scenario is keeping a decent distance and some bugger goes into an already small gap so the ACC drops back to keep the safe distance. :evil:

Saying that, I wouldn't be without it now.

Just to let you know if you go into car settings you can change the behaviour to make it a little bit more aggressive, I believe this is done under drive mode and then set inidivual settings. I also did this on my Audi and it improved it a little bit.

I've also noticed the parking sensors are a little bit anxious ;o)

Does the SatNav take live traffic data or just use TMC? I'm no so sure in the Skoda. It was really obvious in the A6 as it said it was ONLINE.

I've made the iPhone a hotspot and the also connected it via SMARTlink to use Carplay, I think this keeps disconnecting/reconnecting the hotspot. Will have to play more.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Plodd said:
Oy Colin, leave it alone with the 'peasant version'. I have an SE on order. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I am just taking the inverted P out of all those who have ordered an Edition. I include my self in the peasant version category. Which of course I am NOT as I am sure you are NOT! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Obviously NOBODY who has ordered ANY Kodiaq version is a peasant. We are ALL all blessed with exquisite automotive taste

·
Registered
69 Posts
Savage said:
DAB on this car actually works ! All the 4 previous vehicles that I had with DAB kept dropping signal frequently, so far this has not done it once.
Unconvinced the Canton is that much better than the standard system in my old Octavia, I got it free but had I paid for it I can't say I would have thought it worth the extra. I have yet to try out a FLAC file yet, so I may come around !
DAB certainly works better than my 12 Octavia
Sound quality is more than good enough from the standard sound system, so pleased I didn't invest in a Canton

Savage said:
The connected services (googlemaps, petrol prices etc) are IMO a gimmick, I certainly won't be paying to continue those after the first year, (well googlemaps is being discontinued then anyways).
Speaking of which, I think the initial hype of connected car was misleading, requiring either a high cost LTE option (and you still have to buy and pay for a sim) or the use of your own phone to connect .... in fact using tethering my phone can make any car I am in a wifi zone !
I find the connected services great so far, more accurate traffic details in the map, as in problems on A roads
online download of poi's was a lot better than using the portal, not having to create a sd card, make sure the file version was correct, etc

Savage said:
Being a bit OCD when it comes to wires, I do love the wireless charging box though.

Light assist, had this enabled via VCDS in my first O3, but couldn't get it to work in the second O3 and missed it.
Glad I have it again, but having to keep telling it to work every ignition restart is unnecessary, once on leave on unless I turn off is how I prefer things.

Same goes for stop start, but I automatically hit the off button when starting the car now, having had it on the last 3 cars.
Wireless charging is great, the old phonebox without it was useless, whether it actually boosted the signal was questionable
Stop Start - Bloody awful, that will be turned off in traffic

·
Registered
421 Posts
Savage said:
Just my take on a few things, not a complaints as much as observations (mostly) !

ACC, minimum distance is still quite far, I am finding I have to change lane for a pass on dual carriageways earlier than I would normally, and when I get passed and the car changes back into my lane often the car slows momentarily.
Having said that, its such a handy step up from regular CC I wouldn't be without it.
I don't think I would want to use it as a traffic jam assist like some do though !

Skoda connect seems a bit odd, in that it seems to not update often once you have got out of the car, and its vehicle location has yet to tell me I am parked outside my house, apparently its been in both my neighbours though :lol:
Seems if they could enable real time locations, it would make a handy tracker if the vehicle was stolen.
That said, the honk and flash option may yet come in handy, I have lost my car in some open car parks before :oops:

For overtaking with ACC would it not make most sense to disengage it by booting the throttle and boost past on your own? Would it then not maintain your set speed after you've overtook and disengaged the gas? I don't think I see myself having the patience to overtake at cruising speed and I don't think that's the idea behind it.

Doesn't Skoda connect use your mobile phones data connection? If that's the case it would make it hard to track that way if it was nicked.

You have to set up light assist every time you get in the car? Is there a mad annoying process? I was hoping you just had to flick a switch and get on with it.

Looks like I'm actually going to have to read the manual for this car!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
Savage said:

Doesn't Skoda connect use your mobile phones data connection? If that's the case it would make it hard to track that way if it was nicked.
If car is nicked it's likely the phone won't be inside anyway...

·
Registered
421 Posts
$k0d1ak said:
Hugh Fanism said:
Savage said:

You missed my point. Skoda Connect is hardly likely to have a connection to your phones data if it's 40 miles away on the M6. We have to be pragmatic about the limitations and intended use of functions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
$k0d1ak said:
Hugh Fanism said:
You missed my point. Skoda Connect is hardly likely to have a connection to your phones data if it's 40 miles away on the M6. We have to be pragmatic about the limitations and intended use of functions.
Ok, maybe I misread your post - what I was trying to say is that the Connect feature, as far as I know, is using an internal SIM card - isnt this correct?

·
Registered
421 Posts
$k0d1ak said:
Hugh Fanism said:
$k0d1ak said:
Ok, maybe I misread your post - what I was trying to say is that the Connect feature, as far as I know, is using an internal SIM card - isnt this correct?
I really don't know, I had expected so but most on here seem to be running it off their phones data or a dongle. Or am I getting confused with something else? That's why I asked when I commented as my cars still a few months away.

The only thing I'm certain of is that there's a SIM inside somewhere that makes an emergency call when needed but I think that's it's sole function.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think both Savage and I have the additional Sim in the Columbus unit which gives us an advantage, whereas most people did not take the additional Infotainment option and thus rely on an internet connection via your phone, and not the sim used for emergency services that is hidden somewhere.

Skoda connect needs an internet connection to be made, so if someone has taken your car on walkies, I am not sure how Skoda connect will know where it is without an internet connection.

How the emergency services call works intrigues me as I guess it must connect to infotainment system somehow to make the call and can transmit a location, so from that the location of the car would be obtainable.

I think this is one where VCDS may come in useful to understand internal settings

·
Registered
47 Posts
My view is there must be an internal sim of some description for the emergency call and some limited data services. I have only have the car 2 days but have tried for example setting of the car horn and lights from the connected app whilst the car was all locked up and that works. In addition I have locked and unlocked the car without having the car connected to my phones hotsopt and the app is updated as to the cars status. The only way this can happen is by some limited data connection built into the car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't have additional SIM connectivity, so what I'm experiencing is Basic Skoda - The SkodaConnect app on phone lets me know it's position, available range, last consumption and distance, and state of lights and doors/windows open or locked.

From phone app I can choose a route and send it up into the ether. However I can't download it to infotainment for SatNav use unless I tether my phone as a hotspot, so obviously the onboard SIM doesn't like downloading.

Just my experience...

·
Registered
421 Posts
erniem said:
I think both Savage and I have the additional Sim in the Columbus unit which gives us an advantage, whereas most people did not take the additional Infotainment option and thus rely on an internet connection via your phone, and not the sim used for emergency services that is hidden somewhere.

Skoda connect needs an internet connection to be made, so if someone has taken your car on walkies, I am not sure how Skoda connect will know where it is without an internet connection.

How the emergency services call works intrigues me as I guess it must connect to infotainment system somehow to make the call and can transmit a location, so from that the location of the car would be obtainable.

I think this is one where VCDS may come in useful to understand internal settings
You say additional SIM on the Columbus unit. Did that come standard with the Columbus or was it a paid for option?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke too soon :(
After a good 100 mile round trip the other day, and faultless dab, one short trip locally today and it dropped off twice in 6 miles.
Back to FM .... mind you I normally listen to music on the SD card so no biggie.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Savage said:
Key fob design still not improved to prevent accidental presses while in pocket, I have been looking for a silicone cover that I could cut out the buttons to make a recess in. but I can not find anything for the Kessy fob.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162431788270

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aha ... yep I guess restricting to UK based suppliers wouldn't show that one MP :)
Perhaps I ought to be showing Mrs May the way to shut up the eurocrats trying to screw up brexit negotions, and agree a deal with China.

"Oooh! Little bit of politics there" :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts