Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just wanted to drop a quick email to say how I'm getting on with the Kodiaq.
I changed from a Hyundai i40 estate 1.7 diesel to a 150 bhp diesel, 2 wheel drive DSG, 7 seater with a few extras.
I have put about 750 km on the clock in the week averaging 45 mpg and I have to say I'm very very pleased with the car.
Given that it's my first ever automatic I am surprised how smooth the gear changes are.
I am driving it in normal mode and will continue to do so for the first 4-5k miles just for the engine to bed in.
I do find the stop/start to be a bit finicky (as in it is eager to shut down when coming to a stop in all instances) but I think it can be controlled by adjusting the pressure applied to the brake when coming to a stop rather than turning it off altogether (the Hyundai had stop/start so I am use to their version of same).
I upgraded to flappy paddles and even at this stage can see that it wasn't worth it.
LED interior lighting was part of an add on pack for main LED lights so I ended up with them too. LED headlights are brilliant and I wouldn't be without them. LED interior lights, I wouldn't bother with.
The voice amplification to the rear passengers while a good idea is a little freaky (a bit of an echo feel to it) to hear in the back but I think I need to play around with the volume a bit before passing final judgment.
All in all I have to say I'm very pleased with my purchase.
No problems to report so far.
Compared to my previous cars it's noticeably more refined to drive and I feel an awful lot safer in her. Plenty of gadgets for me to play around with too.
Any questions let me know.
Dozz
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
Glad you are pleased.
I assume you are not in the U.K. since you refer to Km? Location on your signature would be helpful please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Sounds very nice - looking forward to be telling that story myself. And welcome to the forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Beautiful, thanks for all the info. I am waiting for mine.
Which color do you have? Looks very nice. I have chosen Quartz Grey, maybe you have the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it's the Quartz Grey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Dozz said:
I am driving it in normal mode and will continue to do so for the first 4-5k miles just for the engine to bed in.
I am doing the opposite. I got the idea from others on here to have the gearbox in S mode during run in. The reason for this is so the engine stays in its sweet spot around 2000-3000 rpm, and avoids low rpm labouring. I am not ever using more than half throttle during run in, not ever exceeding around 4000rpm.

In "normal" D mode, the gearbox selects higher gears, so you'll often be cruising along with around at about 1500rpm.

I was under the impression that by using lower gears in S mode, the engine runs in the mid rev range, which is better for running the engine in.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_(mechanical_run-in)

"For many kinds of equipment (with automotive engines being the prime example), the time it takes to complete break-in procedures has decreased significantly from a number of days to a few hours, for several reasons.

The main reason is that the factories in which they are produced are now capable of better machining and assembly. For example, it is easier to hold tighter tolerances now, and the average surface finish of a new cylinder wall has improved. Manufacturers decades ago were capable of such accuracy and precision, but not with as low a unit cost or with as much ease. Therefore, the average engine made today resembles, in some technical respects, the top-end custom work of back then. For some equipment, break-in is now done at the factory, obviating end-user break-in. This is advantageous for several reasons. It is a selling point with customers who don't want to have to worry about break-in and want full performance "right out of the box". And it also aligns with the fact that compliance rates are always uncertain in the hands of end users. As with medical compliance or regulatory compliance, an authority can give all the instructions it wants, but there is no guarantee that the end user will follow them.

The other reason for shorter break-in regimens today is that a greater amount of science has been applied to the understanding of break-in, and this has led to the realization that some of the old, long, painstaking break-in regimens were based on specious reasoning. People developed elaborate theories on what was needed and why, and it was hard to sift the empirical evidence in trying to test or confirm the theories. Anecdotal evidence and confirmation bias definitely played at least some part. Today engineers can confidently advise users not to put too much stock in old theories of long, elaborate break-in regimens. Some users will not give credence to the engineers and will stick to their own ideas anyway; but their careful break-in beliefs are still harmless and serve roughly like a placebo in allowing them to assure themselves that they've maximized the equipment's working lifespan through their due diligence."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Yes regardless of the fact that a break in period is less important due to todays tighter manufacturing tolerances, varying the revs without overstraining the engine is the way to go IMO.

In the 2.0 Tsi Kodiaq I used sport to achieve this as it is set up to use low revs in combination with the 7 speed DSG, I didn't need to use sport on the Octavia 3 vRS Tsi DSG as it wasn't geared as tall. (and I had "flappy paddles" to override the auto when I wanted). All previous cars to these 2 were manual.

Their are arguments both ways, but I can say I have had 5 brand new cars, all run to this procedure during the first 1k miles (2x diesel and 3x petrol) and all of them lost no oil after the first 1K and ran sweetly and pulled well for the time I had them with no issues.

The petrols (a 1.2 Tsi Octy 2, and the vRS) used a small amount of oil (3-400 ml) during the first 1k miles, none after (although they did get oil changed at 1 year intervals).

The Kodiak has not used any during the first 1k miles, but already it is starting to feel an improvement in its pull.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Savage said:
Yes regardless of the fact that a break in period is less important due to todays tighter manufacturing tolerances, varying the revs without overstraining the engine is the way to go IMO.

In the 2.0 Tsi Kodiaq I used sport to achieve this as it is set up to use low revs in combination with the 7 speed DSG, I didn't need to use sport on the Octavia 3 vRS Tsi DSG as it wasn't geared as tall. (and I had "flappy paddles" to override the auto when I wanted). All previous cars to these 2 were manual.

Their are arguments both ways, but I can say I have had 5 brand new cars, all run to this procedure during the first 1k miles (2x diesel and 3x petrol) and all of them lost no oil after the first 1K and ran sweetly and pulled well for the time I had them with no issues.

The petrols (a 1.2 Tsi Octy 2, and the vRS) used a small amount of oil (3-400 ml) during the first 1k miles, none after (although they did get oil changed at 1 year intervals).

The Kodiak has not used any during the first 1k miles, but already it is starting to feel an improvement in its pull.
I have always run my new cars in gently and am always surprised when others in media columns and forums such as this tell me and others that they are putting oil in on a regular basis. I always carry oil for an emergency but so far have never had to top my oil on any new car I have had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Well Dozz nice motor glad u are enjoying it,
The kodiaq i ordered is nearly the same except i went for the syle model ,just curious as to how long u had to wait for delivery
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Always keep an eye on oil levels from new regularly, some engines will use a little some not, but pays to keep an eye out.
As I said A couple needed a small top up during the first 1k miles (quite normal), but afterwards I never needed to top up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
scrub1980 said:
Well Dozz nice motor glad u are enjoying it,
The kodiaq i ordered is nearly the same except i went for the syle model ,just curious as to how long u had to wait for delivery
@scrub1980 Thanks.
I ordered at the end of February/start of March and it was delivered to the dealer in the middle of June. Collected last Wednesday 12th of July
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Savage said:
Always keep an eye on oil levels from new regularly, some engines will use a little some not, but pays to keep an eye out.
As I said A couple needed a small top up during the first 1k miles (quite normal), but afterwards I never needed to top up.
I'm on my fourth Skoda, all bought new, (two 1.9 TDI Octavias, one 1.6 TDI Superb Greenline, and now the Bear). I have never had to add any oil between services on any of them.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top