Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked my Edition, Moon White, 150 TDI 4x4 manual with Heated Windscreen, Travel Assist, and free Canton Upgrade from the Mitchell Group in Cheshire oaks last Wednesday. I have been meaning to post but been very busy in work and having to much fun with the new car!

I have come from a Yeti Adventurer 4x4 150 TDI which was my first Skoda and a great little car. This time round, my better half wanted me to get either a Land Rover Discovery Sport, BMW x3/5 or Audi Q5. The mother in law has Land Rover Discovery Sport so its been quite good to compare and contrast now I have the Kodiaq. I went for the kodiaq in the end as the Yeti was one of the best cars that I have owned in terms of value for money, cost to own and reliability. My previous cars include BMW, and Lexus amongst many others. Comparing directly with the disco sport the Kodiaq wins hands down. Nicer Cabin, more room, looks nicer in my opinion, better spec and quieter engine (and faster/better acceleration)

I can honestly say I love the Kodiaq. Even my better half is now convinced it was the right purchase over the purported luxury brands, and that is saying something!

When I ordered I was disappointed that I could not have the black Triglav alloys but if I had the choice now I would go with the silver as they really compliment the moon white metallic paint. After ordering the diesel I nearly changed my mind to petrol, but as I have a 42 month PCP It shouldn't prove that much of a problem, plus of course its euro 6. The only thing I regret not getting was adaptive cruise control :(

Good points:-

1. Nice looking car, very spacious and the leather seats are really nice. The electric seats are fab and a god send as I often swap cars with the better half.
2. Nice driving position. Higher than the Yeti, but no to high.
3. Excellent drive. Cant fault it any way. Love the different modes. I was driving mainly in sport mode as I preferred the stiffer steering, but it turns out you can set your own driving mode so its now set in normal for all factors but sport on steering. Very Clever. You can mix and match several of the options from each driving mode.
4. Not really had chance to push the engine yet as still running in, but seems to have plenty of acceleration and torque.
5. The infotainment is brilliant. Love the touch screen. DAB radio superb, Apple Car play is amazing. Hey siri works brilliantly for making phone calls, sending and receiving texts, selecting music etc. The only drawback is that you then cant answer the phone from the steering wheel control, just the touch screen. Hopefully that will solve its self in a future update.
5. Skoda Connect. Very clever. Love the app and the car information. The actually online content is limited and more of a gimmick. Depending on price might not extend beyond a year. Had BMW connect which is similar in my better half's BMW 1 series and the SKoda version much better.
6. Sat Nav. Loads of options, easy to follow. Learns your routes for background guidance and traffic without actually having a route planned which is really good. Traffic from skoda connect is brilliant. I drove to spain last week in a BMW 3 series estate, MSport and the Sat Nav and entire infotainment is much better in the SKODA and given I had 3,000 miles in the BMW I had a good chance to play with it. The fact if even plays DVD's, even though pointless, just goes to show the number of different things the infotainment can do.
7. The lights, especially full beam assist are really impressive. The automatic windscreen wipers seem to work well, although only drove in the rain for about an hour.
8. Kessy is superb. Works faultlessly. I have had keyless entry before but the Skoda Version works well, especially with the boot. The automatic handbrake is brilliant too.
9. Lane assit and all safety features nice touch. Cruise control works really well as does travel assist. Love the colour information display.

I am sure I could go on and on about all the things I really like but thought I would give a quick overview of the key bits. I have read the manual front to back and pretty sure I have a good grasp of how everything works if anyone is having any problems.

There are some negatives (very minor):-

1. The phone box - The USB lead for the iphone (I have tried several different ones) catches on the sliding compartment. Still opens and closes without any really issue, but the fact it catches worries me that over a period of time it will move the USB port back and forwards ever so slightly to the point that it will fail. There is just not quite enough clearance in the compartment.
2. You cant have the car acting as I WiFi hot spot if you are having to tether to your phone for Skoda Connect. It seems to be one or the other, although I still need to bottom this out once and for all. Not a major problem as your phone is a hot spot so others in the car can just use that if need be and its using the same data in any event.
3. On an iPhone you have to open up personal hot spot within the settings every time you get into the car for it to connect. It does connect without issues at that point, but a little annoying. To be fair though, its not Skodas fault but rather apple, which automatically stops broadcasting the hot spot after 10 minutes without any connection. I am looking at solutions for that and will probably go down a mi-fi device in the boot as I have a spare data sim and a few of those devices.
4. It does not appear to be the easiest to pull the 2nd row seats forward to enable access to the third row. This could just be me as I have really played with this yet and not even had the third row seats up!!. Hopefully my initial impression is way of the mark. :?

So all in all, I can say I am more than happy with the car! :D The fact that my better half is too says a massive amount as she has pre determination to the luxury brands ;)
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Tire Wheel
Font Screenshot Circle Rectangle Parallel
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Many of your comments I have found also. On my version. I can answer the phone with the steering wheel control.

Infuriatingly the infotainment screen can't be switched off and be running at the same time (from my experience). There is an option for it to self time out and screen off after 10s, but it forgets that setting every time the ignition is off.

The rear window washer nozzle also dribbles on my version every time the boot door opens and closes which leaves fluid marks on the rear screen.

I'll have to give it longer in ownership to see what else infuriates me. So far pleasant, but not as easy to live with as some cars I've had before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MoominPapa said:
. On my version. I can answer the phone with the steering wheel
Tested that again. So it does. You can answer the phone via car play via the steering wheel. Sure it didn't last week when I tried, but that was In The first few hours of ownership so hadn't tried since. All good now though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could have written that review myself.

I love it and hav found the same niggles as you.

I found a short lightning USB cable with a 90 degree Ben on each end, I'll post a pic in a bit.
It allows the cover to close over no issues

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigfootW said:
I found a short lightning USB cable with a 90 degree Ben on each end, I'll post a pic in a bit.
It allows the cover to close over no issues
I found a short one with flat cable with a smaller USB connection but still not perfect. I was looking at 90 degree USB to lightning in amazon last night but wasn't convinced, and wasn't sure if left/right 90 degrees as USB is one way connection. Have you got a link to the one you have?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Link please! Currently running a 15cm Belkin cable which is the perfect length but I can't close the cover...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same problem here. I would be more than pleased to get information about 90 degree lightning cable

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interested how you connect to Connect as I couldn't get it to connect using hotspot. It appears to want it's own sim which mine doesn't have the connection for.

I did register online but can't seem to connect. Main thing I would use that for would be to check the car is locked!!

Any assistance welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
grahamterry1000 said:
Interested how you connect to Connect as I couldn't get it to connect using hotspot. It appears to want it's own sim which mine doesn't have the connection for.

I did register online but can't seem to connect. Main thing I would use that for would be to check the car is locked!!

Any assistance welcome.

Thanks
Go into system settings, go into WLAN settings, select WLAN and select the relevant hotspot/wi fi network you want to connect to. Importantly, then make sure you turn off the Mobile Hotspot settings. You can't have both. In essence, you connect to your phones hotspot and use it the either to connect to skoda connect and online services, or you allow the car to become a wi fi hotspot were it just piggy backs your phones hotspot. If you do that you can't then connect to Skoda Connect so mobile hotspot needs to be off.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Leemo said:
You can't have both. In essence, you connect to your phones hotspot and use it the either to connect to skoda connect and online services, or you allow the car to become a wi fi hotspot were it just piggy backs your phones hotspot. If you do that you can't then connect to Skoda Connect so mobile hotspot needs to be off.
Actually, you can :)
I just went for a little drive to a garden centre and decided to test out the connection (s).
I set my mobile for tethering and Skoda connect was working, and 2 of the kids had their tablets hooked up online too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Savage said:
Leemo said:
You can't have both. In essence, you connect to your phones hotspot and use it the either to connect to skoda connect and online services, or you allow the car to become a wi fi hotspot were it just piggy backs your phones hotspot. If you do that you can't then connect to Skoda Connect so mobile hotspot needs to be off.
Actually, you can :)
I just went for a little drive to a garden centre and decided to test out the connection (s).
I set my mobile for tethering and Skoda connect was working, and 2 of the kids had their tablets hooked up online too.
Yep. Confirmed. It works. It must have been just for the initial set up for Skoda Connect. I couldn't get it to connect and my dealer said mobile hotspot needed to be off to be able to set up connect, and as soon as I turned that of Skoda Connect worked. I just assumed that therefore you couldn't have both. Glad I was wrong, although seeing as it's just using your phone data it matters not if passengers connect to the cars hotspot or the phones!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts