Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after one week of owning my new Kodiaq, I thought I'd better get round to writing a review-so-far from buying to ownership, to repay this forum for the helpful advice and banter. Particular thanks to Savage, MoominPapa, bigboss, Colin (of course), and countless others. This might be a bit of an epic, apologies in advance!

Summary: the car is great, perfect for my needs, and pretty much what I expected. Not disappointed in anyway of having bought my first Skoda.

Choosing the Kodiaq

My old car was an '08 Ford S-Max. A great car, to be fair, drives nicely, has space in abundance for a family with 4 kids, but lots of signs of it starting to fall apart, and inevitable costs that would occur.

These days there's a good number of options for 7-seaters, on face value. However, most have limitations - particuarly around either the space in the 3rd row, or the space (or lack thereof) behind the 3rd row. I also didn't really want to have to get another MPV if I could help it - been there, done that: our kids range from 5-12 now, so we're out of need for prams/pushchairs etc.

My ideal was the new Volvo XC90, but out of my budget new (starts around 45-48k i think), and due to its 'new-ness' 2nd hand models below 40k are quite rare, especially with anything other than basic kit, or low mileage. Land Rover Discovery Sport and X-Trail are both nice-looking cars, good reviews, but both are v small in 3rd row, and/or limited boot behind that. Came across the Kodiaq last year when physically unveiled, and from that point it made sense - it looked smart, the interior space looked 'do-able', and the price was in my budget. From that point on, it was the only car i was going to choose.

The Buying Experience

The lack of cars in showrooms was a pain to say the least. Dealers kept saying they'll be in soon, then they were delayed etc. I wasn't goign to order blind - the critical space in the back, and that I don't have the previous experience with Skoda that many on this forum had, meant I wouldn't part with >30k without physically seeing it with my own eyes. Actually, less bothered about driving it tbh - I read every review, and they all commented on a positive driving experience, so I took that as good enough for me (in fact, I never even test drove the car - first drive in a Kodiaq was my own last week!).

I missed out on the Canton/space-saver wheel freebie, because I wouldn't order without seeing it, but in the end I had to: lead-time was getting to 16 weeks around mid-March, and that meant I might not get it before summer holiday (driving to France). So I decided the reviews were enough, I'd take the morning off work, go into the dealers, sort out P/X of the S-Max, agree a deal and buy the car then and there: one dealer said he'd be happy to return deposit if I didn't like the car when it arrived in showroom, which took the risk away. I shouldn't have worried - literally whilst agreeing options, the transporter arrived with their showroom cars! Smaller than I expected, it was still roomy inside.

Anyways, after visiting two local(ish) dealers, Northampton Skoda were extremely nice to deal with, offered a good deal, but money talks and I finally agreed a price with Lancaster Skoda in Milton Keynes (good price for my old car, plus around 6% or so off the new car price with all options in, warranty, servicing etc - I think that was just the perfect storm of timing: last day of quarter, last day before they had the showroom cars in, cash buyer, trying to entice me to the skoda brand, etc etc).

Just an aside: Skoda Milton Keynes were FANTASTIC all the way through buying the car. Kept me informed, gave me good prices on any additional accessories, gave a thoroughly good impression that my custom mattered to them, and if this is a reflection on buying a Skoda, I'd buy again from them happily. They even threw in mats and full tank as well when asked, without argument.

Alloygate: I was a bit miffed to find out that the alloy choices were limited - like many on here, I wanted the look of the original press shots. But i knew this when i bought the car, having read about it on this forum. I'd resigned myself to the polished Triglavs (they look way better in the flesh I think than photos), but i'd kept some of my budget back should they become available. Thanks to a tip-off from this forum (you know who you are, thanks a million again!), I contacted the Head of Customer Service in the UK via email, and told them how the switching of alloys from the original press shots had left me disappointed as my first impression of the brand. The senior guy returned my email almost immediately saying how he was on holiday that week (this was a Saturday in half-term) but would get someone to look into it first thing when he returns. However, within a few hours, I had a call from a woman at Skoda UK (the same contact many of us have had, I believe), who understood, apologised, and offered me a substantial contribution to upgraded alloys. Others have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum. I can only say that I was mightily impressed on the speed of response, and how they (Skoda UK) handled my grievance.

From this point, as well as the dealer giving me regular updates, the Skoda UK phoned me every nearly week to check I was happy and keep me informed of where the car was. I never really got into status codes tbh, I was told that it was locked in for build week 19, (18 at one point), but in reality it was build week 20. So not entirely convinced that 'locked in' always means exactly that.

View attachment 476

My Timeline:

Ordered Mar 24th (week 12)
Build week 20
Left Factory week 20
Arrived in UK week 22
At Dealer week 24
Pickup June 14th (week 24)

so, 12 week total, which is nearly one month less than estimated when i ordered (which did go out to 19weeks 1 week after i ordered!!)

Spec:

2.0TDi 150PS (2WD) DSG Edition, Quartz Grey
Sunroof, towbar, trizone climate, heated windscreen, virtual pedal, heated steering wheel (paddles!), roof bars, and Black 19inch Triglavs.

The downside of the buying experience was, of course, the waiting - those last weeks were tough, knowing it could really be any day now. Thanks to all the conversation on this thread for keeping me sane. Oh and the other niggle was the complete breakdown of the S-Max, and 1100pouind cost for new clutch and flywheel for 10 days of ownership prior to new car. Bugger. Karma for a good discount, right?!?

Owning the Kodiaq:

Ok, enough of the above waffle. What's it like now you've got it?!? Only 300miles on the clock, so this is a bit early...

Driving: it's a very satisfying, very comfortable car to drive. There's a good amount of power in the engine when required, and I like the DSG. This is my first automatic, and I'm warming to it a lot - I find it a smooth and relaxing experience. There's the slightest bit of bodyroll in comparison with the S-Max, but I've not really thrown it around yet to tell, and its marginal. The steering is a bit 'woolly' on normal, and not as precise as the S-Max, but the Sport mode tightens this up a lot, and is great fun on quiet windy roads. There's a bit of lag when pulling away from the DSG, but much less than I feared from other comments here, and in practice makes very little difference - I live near Milton Keynes, and pulling away at roundabouts has been no different than the last 9 years! The only slight issue is when slowing down for roundabouts, I find the auto stays in too high a gear for my liking, so I use the paddles on the wheel to switch down for a bit of engine braking, which has the benefit of being in a better gear for quick entry onto the roundabout when required. I've not really used any mode other than Normal - I tried ECO, which was ok, but felt a bit lethargic and didn't really improve the MPG that noticeably anyways. I've only used Sport once so far, but plan on doing so more once I'm past my own self-imposed running in period of one tank of fuel.

UPDATE: since drafting this, I had a run on the country lanes in sport mode today - man that was fun; sharpens up the handling a good amount (only by adding weight to the steering) and felt more peppy due to letting the revs climb more than i had been doing. Also had a blast with the paddles too - not going to do that often, but put a smile on my face!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Not a big fan of the auto stop/start of engine when pausing at lights, but getting more used to it. Others have commented on this elsewhere. I tend to switch it off when setting off, but finding that I'm leaving it on more and more as I adjust. I like the auto-brake though. Did have break assist kick-in once (I was already braking hard as a person in front did sudden stop way before clear junction), and could feel it in the pedal 'doing something' - effective.

Performance to-date is ~42MPG since i've had it, but bear in mind that a lot of miles have had the air-con on due to the weather (or the kids nagging me to open the sunroof). I fully expect this to rise pretty quickly, but is already better than the ford was doing.

Interior/space: one of the common things people have said is "that looks a bit small for a 7-seater" when they see it, but often are astonished when they open the door. It's not tardis huge, but i think its deceptive. I measured it before buying and it has the same interior dimensions as the s-max bar 2cms width if i recall. The 3rd row seats have a good amount of space (better than the s-max, my eldest says) and the 2nd row is nice, but the lack of individual seats does mean that middle one is small, but in practice its not a big issue. The boot is way better: marginally smaller, but the seats fold better, and the space around spare wheel is great for putting bulbs/warning triangle, hi-viz jackets etc, all out-of-sight. With all seats down bar one in middle row, i can fit my road bike in without removing wheels - v handy. One thing that is noticeable is that the 3rd row seats are slightly higher than in the old s-max: the kids back there can see the front a lot clearer than before, meaning they feel more 'part of' any conversation rather than out-of-sight. It's not 'stadium seating' as in the new XC90, but its a step in the right direction. Childs car seat fit OK back there too, as did my (tall) 12 year old.

Infotainment: on the whole, the infotainment system is fantastic. The touchscreen is responsive in a way that other cars i've been are so not, the graphics are bright and clear, and its laid out very well. The media connectivity is good - mostly using the SD card tbh, but also just started with the jukebox (import from SD card), the sound quality is very good for me, no need for Canton, and the DAB radio brings a welcome improvement for listening to Radio 5 over MW! Android Auto is well implemented, although I only use it for Spotify because the standard sat-nav is more than adequate. The feature-set is so complete between Android Auto and the built-in media fucntions/satnav, that I haven't even looked at what the Skoda Connect bit has to offer: I'll have a look at the weekend, but I don't feel like there's a compelling feature i'm missing day-to-day that would drive me to look at it.

My only slight niggle is around the phonebox: wireless charging is great for me, sling the phone in there and it just works. The issue arises that if you want to use a lot of the connectivity functions (e.g. smartlink/android auto) then you need a physical cable, which is also charging the phone anyways, so it just makes the wireless charging somewhat surplus. Would be so much better if Android Auto et al worked over bluetooth!

Also, there are so many settings and features littered around that i feel i've barely scratched the surface! (and I'm a tech guy who loves this stuff) - i do like the fact that so many settings and controls are made available to the user to personalise it to how you want it (within reason). Screen is a finger-print magnet tho.

I've heard some creaking from the door handles, keeping an eye on those. I take a view that its not really concerning me at this time, yes i've spent a lot on the car, but i'm not going to let minor niggles worry me yet. I have no doubt that my dealer will sort any issue should it arise. I've not seen any issues with the exterior finish.

Other stuff: pretty unanimously positive comments from all that have seen it, which is always nice; powered tailgate is very swish, and the virtual pedal is suprisingly effective, more so than i might've thought; front seats are reasonably comfortable, although has taken me a while to find a comfortable position, initially felt that my legs were twisted somewhat, maybe an effect of resting my left foot where the clutch would've been etc; tablet holders are well designed, and sturdy (ordered via superskoda, much cheaper!)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Summary

It's easy to get carried away on forums like this, with a largely one-sided viewpoint (i.e pro-Skoda Kodiaq), and buy into the hype that the car will be the best thing ever, especially pre-launch. However, the car delivers exactly what I expected and wanted from it - it's not an XC90, it's not a Q7, it's not a sportscar, what it is is a well-priced, impressively packaged, attractive, comfortable and well performing (for its class) SUV that feels a class above what I might've thought a Skoda would be. There will be niggles, there will be warranty issues - I'll take them as they come, but for now, from buying to owning, my first impression of being a Skoda owner is an entirely positive one, and am chuffed to bits with the Kodiaq.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Very well written review! &#x1f44d-1f3fc;

·
Registered
194 Posts
Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to do this 👍

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and the mention.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great review and shows the positive feelings with regards to the Kodiaq. I hope my experience will be as good when I have taken delivery in a week or so.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Glad to see you are happy with it, and of course I am biased, but that's the best colour choice :)
Hopefully you will have many miles of happy, trouble free motoring.
I will say, make them aware of the door handles, if only to get it on record so any future purchases don't suffer the "haven't heard of that sir" line.
It will also pave the way should you have any issues down the line ...
Your purchase reasons and other cars considered pretty much mirror mine, although with recent events I wonder if I made the right choice.
The way they deal with fixing the niggles will be what decides if I stay, they seem to be heading the right way so far !

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Many thanks for your brilliant review and for your kind words. always happy to help if I can. There are others on the forum with far more knowledge than myself, especially on electrics/onics.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome review! Thank you very much for sharing with the rest of us. For us still waiting for the K, reviews like these are a great comfort and makes the waiting time become slightly less painful.
Best of luck with it and enjoy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great Epic :). Sounds like my story (apart from that we had an appointment with Volvo to place an order for the XC90 and then came across the Kodiaq and decided that the £20k+ difference looks better in our account than Volvo's). Oh, and I have ordered in week 7 and am still waiting... The current BW is now estimated at 30, so not happy at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kthuno said:
Awesome review! Thank you very much for sharing with the rest of us. For us still waiting for the K, reviews like these are a great comfort and makes the waiting time become slightly less painful.
Best of luck with it and enjoy.
No problem....I felt the same way when I was waiting!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Savage said:
Glad to see you are happy with it, and of course I am biased, but that's the best colour choice :)
Hopefully you will have many miles of happy, trouble free motoring.
I will say, make them aware of the door handles, if only to get it on record so any future purchases don't suffer the "haven't heard of that sir" line.
It will also pave the way should you have any issues down the line ...
Your purchase reasons and other cars considered pretty much mirror mine, although with recent events I wonder if I made the right choice.
The way they deal with fixing the niggles will be what decides if I stay, they seem to be heading the right way so far !
Yes I intend to highlight to the dealer this week for that exact reason: for me it's very minor, only noticed it once or twice, probably cos I had the experience of the forum in mind

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend join Skoda recently in a senior role and I often highlight concerns that I read here. I sense that they are trying very hard in the UK to protect their hard earned reputation for good customer service experience etc, and are probably as frustrated at the niggles coming out the factory as us. As you say Savage judge on how they deal with problems....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Polar68 said:
Great Epic :). Sounds like my story (apart from that we had an appointment with Volvo to place an order for the XC90 and then came across the Kodiaq and decided that the £20k+ difference looks better in our account than Volvo's). Oh, and I have ordered in week 7 and am still waiting... The current BW is now estimated at 30, so not happy at all.
Funny. I was about to buy a 5 series estate when I saw the first kodiaq being driven into the skoda dealer across the road on April the 1st. Ordered 2 days later.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Really great review. It's fascinating getting insights from other new drivers. I also looked at the Disco Sport as an option but the Kodiaq has so much bang for buck and (I think) looks better ;)

Nice looking rims on yours!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts