Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
i have the kodiaq 1.4 dsg 4x4 but i dont have the offroad switch is thats mean that my car is allwheel drive all time as 4x4 or the 4x4 works only when the car needs thats , and when the 4x4 work how do i know that its working ?!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi
Not sure where you are from so I can't comment on your countries build spec, but in New Zealand the 4x4 switch was an option which turned on off road features like hill decent and a graphical display of wheel angle etc. It also supplied more power to the rear wheels, which is great on loose road surface but is a quick way to destroy the running gear on a hard surface.
On my spec I have 4x4 without the button and the power is transferred to the rear wheel when needed, when driving on grass and a loose road surface I could feel a change in the dynamics.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What 4x4 switch?

It is a Haldex system so is always 4x4 to some extent.

Do you mean the Off Road Mode switch? I think you need Dynamic Chassis Control as well to get that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:mrgreen: am from Dubai , and yes i mean the 4x4 button i Dont have it in my car , my question is this button comes only with the dynamic chassis option !
i prefer if there is a sign in dashboard says that the rear wheel is working or not in some conditions .
i never feel that its 4x4 or if it working or not ! how do i know if its working ?!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Andyvee is correct it is an off road switch and is not labeled 4x4. I thought I read somewhere that when in off road mode a portion of the power was applied to the rear diff, but I cant find the reference now. May have got it mixed up with something else. Anyway, the 4x4 is a on demand system that applies power to the rear diff when the front wheels lose traction. The computer takes care of it all.

·
Registered
617 Posts
hanyathlon said:
:mrgreen: am from Dubai , and yes i mean the 4x4 button i Dont have it in my car , my question is this button comes only with the dynamic chassis option !
i prefer if there is a sign in dashboard says that the rear wheel is working or not in some conditions .
i never feel that its 4x4 or if it working or not ! how do i know if its working ?!
Check this link regarding differences:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossary/four-wheel-drive-explained

·
Registered
22 Posts
andyvee said:
Do you mean the Off Road Mode switch? I think you need Dynamic Chassis Control as well to get that.
I'm not sure what the requirements are for the Off Road function to be present, but DCC can't be one as my Kodiaq doesn't have that, but I do have Off Road.

·
Registered
407 Posts
In the UK you need DCC, but it is standard on Scout 4x4 models.

Other countries may be different as the Scout doesn't have DCC.

View attachment 129

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
andyvee said:
I have it on my 190 SEL as standard and without DCC.

·
Registered
407 Posts
H2UBS said:
andyvee said:
I have it on my 190 SEL as standard and without DCC.
Weird!

Just shows how wrong the configurator and brochures are then!

They expressly make a point of it being on Scout 4x4 models, and then the only other mention of it is with DCC on DSG 4x4 models that I can see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DCC needs Offroad button, not the other way around I think. Also 4x4 is on demand. The offroad button is only to be used on low gears and is basically "old-school" 4WD (I think it is 50-50 too)

·
Registered
422 Posts
All the questions in these thread I had too at the time when I was waiting for the car:
  1. Can I manually engage/disengage 4x4 mode?
  2. Does the dash or infotainment system indicate when 4x4 is engaged?

The answers being "no" for both.

I think the answers here are all correct. If you have 4x4 it's always on. In normal conditions IIRC the distribution is something like 90/10, but the Haldex system will adjust the balance as-and-when it needs to.

But, I need to ask....
At the time of buying the dealer said there is a speed limit at play in all this. As if to imply that the Haldex system will not adjust the transmission ratio if you're travelling above certain speeds.
That's no good if you're doing - say - 70mph and then hit dirt, snow or ice.

But perhaps a better question is; would a 60/40 balance even help you in that scenario?

·
Registered
407 Posts
iwarv said:
All the questions in these thread I had too at the time when I was waiting for the car:
  1. Can I manually engage/disengage 4x4 mode?
  2. Does the dash or infotainment system indicate when 4x4 is engaged?

The answers being "no" for both.

I think the answers here are all correct. If you have 4x4 it's always on. In normal conditions IIRC the distribution is something like 90/10, but the Haldex system will adjust the balance as-and-when it needs to.

But, I need to ask....
At the time of buying the dealer said there is a speed limit at play in all this. As if to imply that the Haldex system will not adjust the transmission ratio if you're travelling above certain speeds.
That's no good if you're doing - say - 70mph and then hit dirt, snow or ice.

But perhaps a better question is; would a 60/40 balance even help you in that scenario?
If you are doing 70mph and hit ice then 4WD or AWD is not going to save you. Only a good set of winter tyres are likely to keep you in control, regardless of how many wheels have drive if your tyres have no grip it is irrelevant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any 4x4 model made by Skoda (and most VWs) are based on Haldex technology.
So it's not permanent (nor locked), but it will engage any wheel/axle as needed (without need to push any button), I find it more reassuring.

Carwow site explains it well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Kodiaqs use the Haldex All Wheel Drive system like many SUVs, this is not the same as 4 wheel drive. If you are looking for a proper off roader then don't get an AWD car as it will not be good as a 4 wheel drive off road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts