Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving our Kodiaq. Got her on the 2nd September. One week later we took her to Scotland for 2weeks. Getting great MPG.
On the way up 60.8mpg 480mile trip . Over 1000mile when in Scotland getting between 54-61mpg and then 64.6mpg on the trip home.
Had a trip to Warwick in November and got my best mpg 69.7.
Car has now done over 4000 miles with long term mpg is 57.4mpg. Getting between 48-60 mpg going too and from work. Uses more in the cold weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
debsnal said:
Loving our Kodiaq. Got her on the 2nd September. One week later we took her to Scotland for 2weeks. Getting great MPG.
On the way up 60.8mpg 480mile trip . Over 1000mile when in Scotland getting between 54-61mpg and then 64.6mpg on the trip home.
Had a trip to Warwick in November and got my best mpg 69.7.
Car has now done over 4000 miles with long term mpg is 57.4mpg. Getting between 48-60 mpg going too and from work. Uses more in the cold weather.
Impressive mpg figures Debsnal. Any tips?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Martin,

50% of wasted fuel is caused by harsh acceleration and 50% is wasted through breaking, especially heavy breaking.
So my main tips are plan well ahead, always give yourself an extra 5 minutes journey time per hour of journey.
With a diesel car gentle accelerate through the gears using no more than 2000rpm (unless steep incline).
When slowing down come of the throttle as early as you can so letting the vehicle slow down naturally.
Just remember modern cars do not burn any fuel on the overrun. Unless motorways are absolutely clear there is no point
in driving at 70 mph as all you will be doing is slowing down, speeding up and breaking and wasting fuel. Always keep a good distance
between you and the vehicle in front, this way you will avoid uneccessary breaking. Teach yourself patience while driving, if someone has to push in from your left or right let them in. It will only cost you one second in time. Enjoy your driving experience. We have both got a fabulous car and I enjoy my time driving it. Im not interested in racing other people on the road and I dont have to be in front of everybody. I just like the comfort and the relaxation the Kodiaq gives you. I can achieve higher miles per gallon in everything I drive. I did a 100 mile round trip in a works lwb sprinter and got over 41 to the gallon out of that . I drive a Mercedes artic unit and trailer and have this up to over 14mpg (with empty trailer). Im not trying to suck eggs or trying to tell you how to drive, but anybody can get high mpg if they put there mind to it. Hope this has been of some help.

regards
Alan

p.s let me know how you get on with your fuel consumption

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm getting the same moon-white beige leather combo as yours, Alan. thought black looked classier, but was too dark and oppressive

yours is beautiful. glad you went for cream instead of black ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
debsnal said:
Hi Martin,

50% of wasted fuel is caused by harsh acceleration and 50% is wasted through breaking, especially heavy breaking.
So my main tips are plan well ahead, always give yourself an extra 5 minutes journey time per hour of journey.
With a diesel car gentle accelerate through the gears using no more than 2000rpm (unless steep incline).
When slowing down come of the throttle as early as you can so letting the vehicle slow down naturally.
Just remember modern cars do not burn any fuel on the overrun. Unless motorways are absolutely clear there is no point
in driving at 70 mph as all you will be doing is slowing down, speeding up and breaking and wasting fuel. Always keep a good distance
between you and the vehicle in front, this way you will avoid uneccessary breaking. Teach yourself patience while driving, if someone has to push in from your left or right let them in. It will only cost you one second in time. Enjoy your driving experience. We have both got a fabulous car and I enjoy my time driving it. Im not interested in racing other people on the road and I dont have to be in front of everybody. I just like the comfort and the relaxation the Kodiaq gives you. I can achieve higher miles per gallon in everything I drive. I did a 100 mile round trip in a works lwb sprinter and got over 41 to the gallon out of that . I drive a Mercedes artic unit and trailer and have this up to over 14mpg (with empty trailer). Im not trying to suck eggs or trying to tell you how to drive, but anybody can get high mpg if they put there mind to it. Hope this has been of some help.

regards
Alan

p.s let me know how you get on with your fuel consumption
Thanks Alan - appreciated. I think I probably apply most of these excellent tips already and I used to get outstanding economy on our old Octavia. I didn't expect the K to be as good, but I had hoped for a bit better. One thing that occurs to me - it looks like you have front wheel drive whereas we have 4WD. I suppose that even though 4WD is technically "part-time" there will still be extra pieces of metal moving around, creating a bit more friction/drag via the oil/grease in the bearings, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I have is a 4x4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts