Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in quite a rural area and our mobile signal is not that good, so l haven't really kept up with latest phone technology. However l do know that my phone company has been pestering me for a few years to upgrade my contract and my present phone needs a new battery and is slightly damaged.

I presently have a windows phone and quite like it, but have used android operating systems, l have never used apple and have an aversion to the brand as a whole.

So l thought l would ask the question what phones are people are using and what are the apps that work best between the kodiaq and phone and what impact are they having?
 

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
I too tend not to be too inclined towards Apple as a whole (definitely PC over Mac) but I prefer iPhone over Android phones because of iOS. I find there's much less faffing around however not as much to be tinkered with. CarPlay works well with the car but I wouldn't be choosing an iPhone over Android for a car infotainment system. It really depends on how you find iOS to be, have a play with one at a store and see how you find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I use an iPhone, works a treat with the Kodiaq. I have Apple Music for streaming audio (can also store playlists locally) and I get a free Spotify subscription with my home broadband, both apps work a treat with Apple CarPlay. I hate Android with a passion and have no experience (nor desire) with Android Auto, but I would expect similar functionality - horses for courses!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
I have a MAc desk top and love it as it is sooo fast.
BUT. mobiles. I have tried i-phones and hate them, as do some friends.
I have always had Android and have found the whole system excellent.
My current mobile is a Motorola G4. If considering it you should go for the 16Gb model as the 8Gb leaves little room for any add ons, photographs, apps etc. Brilliant camera etc I have no criticisms at all. an excellent from the Android 'playstore' and very cheap 'phone.http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lenovo/lenovo-moto-g4
It has been faultless (apart from e-mail function where it refuses to always remove deleted messages. This may be due to my Sky-Yahoo account set up.
I have installed the K9 mail app for Android and that has solved the problem and is free from the Android 'Playstore'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zach said:
.......................................... have a play with one at a store and see how you find it.
Thats one of my issues nearest phone store will be Glasgow which is a four hour round trip, not really expecting to go to Glasgow again until l pick up my Skoda which l expect to be in October.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I work with iOS everyday with my current contract with the local Hospital and based on this I personally wouldn't buy an iOS device even though the hardware is some of the best out there.. I still prefer the Surface Pro to an iPad, and my Galaxy S7 to the iPhone 7. The main reason is Apples 'we know whats best for you' attitude which frustrated me while I was setting up a Kiosk iPad connected to the internet. I also detest not having a central store for files that the different Apps can access. You can't even copy and paste between Apps! All files have to be loaded via iCloud or iTunes. No plugging the phone into the computer and dragging and dropping files into the phone.
Now that I have had my rant and removed months worth of frustrations from of my chest do not expect a $300 Android phone to be as good as an iPhone, you will need to match dollar for dollar, (pound for pound, euro for euro :) ) if the Android is going to be as quick as the iPhone, and stay away from cheap Chinese phones, you will end up getting what you pay for.
Unfortunately I am unable to give you any incites on how the Android works with the Kodiaq as I am still waiting for delivery, but I have watched some Youtube videos of Apple Car Play v's Android Auto and the voice recognition appears to be better with the Android.
I would suggest do some research, watch Youtube, and buy the phone you think will best fit your needs.
PS. micro usb charge cables are for the Android are way less expensive compared to the Apple lighting cable.
PPS. I apologize to any Apple fans for any offense, as stated earlier, great hardware, just iOS is not PC (Windows/ Linux like) for my taste.
 

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
davidb said:
Zach said:
.......................................... have a play with one at a store and see how you find it.
Thats one of my issues nearest phone store will be Glasgow which is a four hour round trip, not really expecting to go to Glasgow again until l pick up my Skoda which l expect to be in October.
Maybe watch some videos on iOS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
I have a Samsung S7, does all the phone things well, no issues hooking to BT and the Kodiaq, hotspots, wifi etc. Wireless charges from the cars phone tray with a protective case no issues and takes real nice pictures. I would highly recommend :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I have a MAc desk top and love it as it is sooo fast.
BUT. mobiles. I have tried i-phones and hate them, as do some friends.
I have always had Android and have found the whole system excellent.
My current mobile is a Motorola G4. If considering it you should go for the 16Gb model as the 8Gb leaves little room for any add ons, photographs, apps etc. Brilliant camera etc I have no criticisms at all. an excellent from the Android 'playstore' and very cheap 'phone.http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lenovo/lenovo-moto-g4
It has been faultless (apart from e-mail function where it refuses to always remove deleted messages. This may be due to my Sky-Yahoo account set up.
I have installed the K9 mail app for Android and that has solved the problem and is free from the Android 'Playstore'.
Strange isn't it, I work in an industry that is prominently Apple iOS based, however in terms of desktop/laptop I wouldn't touch a Mac for love nor money, I hate the closed architecture, limited expandability and fewer applications. I dare say I may be alone on this one.

I have used both IPhones and Android devices and I would always go for Android. I presently have a Samsung S6 Edge which although a bit dated connects far better than any of the iOS device I have (for my sins). It seems that Apple operate on their own flavour of Bluetooth which doesn't always allows it to play nicely with other non-Apple Bluetooth devices.

I don't have my Kodiaq yet but in the O3 vRS then every mobile I have connected to it works perfectly, the odd iOS device has been a little more hit and miss. I would suggest before selecting a phone anyone should do some research and double check compatibility with the Kodiaq especially as not all phones have rSAP (most do these days) if that is going to be your connection method (still trying to work out the benefits of using your phone as a wifi hotspot over rSAP - not sure what wifi hotspots car brings to the party that rSAP doesn't, maybe I will see when I get the car).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Ha ha when you have exhausted very topic re Kodiaq's it eventually comes down to Apple V Android.
I used to have a Nokia something or other. When I changed to the first iPhone it was indeed a life changing experience. Suddenly all my music files worked seamlessly. I brought a MacBook Pro. What a dog of a thing the previous PC laptop was. Was processing lots of Videos and Slideshows so easy on a Mac. It's the architecture made to work seemlessly. I now have an iMac. The screen is beautiful I have no problem getting around iCloud.
I would venture to say if it wasn't for Steve Jobs you would all be scratching your heads trying to work your old Nokia.
Oh did I mention I like Apple. And so does my Kodiaq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
daveskis said:
Ha ha when you have exhausted very topic re Kodiaq's it eventually comes down to Apple V Android.
I used to have a Nokia something or other. When I changed to the first iPhone it was indeed a life changing experience. Suddenly all my music files worked seamlessly. I brought a MacBook Pro. What a dog of a thing the previous PC laptop was. Was processing lots of Videos and Slideshows so easy on a Mac. It's the architecture made to work seemlessly. I now have an iMac. The screen is beautiful I have no problem getting around iCloud.
I would venture to say if it wasn't for Steve Jobs you would all be scratching your heads trying to work your old Nokia.
Oh did I mention I like Apple. And so does my Kodiaq
"My primary phone is the iPhone. I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do." - Steve Wozniak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Jon Edwards said:
daveskis said:
Ha ha when you have exhausted very topic re Kodiaq's it eventually comes down to Apple V Android.
I used to have a Nokia something or other. When I changed to the first iPhone it was indeed a life changing experience. Suddenly all my music files worked seamlessly. I brought a MacBook Pro. What a dog of a thing the previous PC laptop was. Was processing lots of Videos and Slideshows so easy on a Mac. It's the architecture made to work seemlessly. I now have an iMac. The screen is beautiful I have no problem getting around iCloud.
I would venture to say if it wasn't for Steve Jobs you would all be scratching your heads trying to work your old Nokia.
Oh did I mention I like Apple. And so does my Kodiaq
"My primary phone is the iPhone. I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do." - Steve Wozniak
Hey Jon you are right he did say that. And also said in the same interview........""The people I recommend the iPhone 4S for are the ones who are already in the Mac world, because it's so compatible, and people who are just scared of computers altogether and don't want to use them. The iPhone is the least frightening thing. For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do."
But he was talking about old technology the iPhone 4s. For me it's about the beauty of it something all Apple products achieve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
daveskis said:
Jon Edwards said:
daveskis said:
Ha ha when you have exhausted very topic re Kodiaq's it eventually comes down to Apple V Android.
I used to have a Nokia something or other. When I changed to the first iPhone it was indeed a life changing experience. Suddenly all my music files worked seamlessly. I brought a MacBook Pro. What a dog of a thing the previous PC laptop was. Was processing lots of Videos and Slideshows so easy on a Mac. It's the architecture made to work seemlessly. I now have an iMac. The screen is beautiful I have no problem getting around iCloud.
I would venture to say if it wasn't for Steve Jobs you would all be scratching your heads trying to work your old Nokia.
Oh did I mention I like Apple. And so does my Kodiaq
I understand that, and Johnny Ives is key to the design, I can't really fault Apple and begrudgingly think Steve Jobs was a genius, but like many fatally flawed. I don't use them as they don't have the processing power I need and you can get equally beautiful looking screens.

Anyway I think we have meandered away from the topic. I have noticed on here more issues with Apple CarPlay than Andoid Auto.
"My primary phone is the iPhone. I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do." - Steve Wozniak
Hey Jon you are right he did say that. And also said in the same interview........""The people I recommend the iPhone 4S for are the ones who are already in the Mac world, because it's so compatible, and people who are just scared of computers altogether and don't want to use them. The iPhone is the least frightening thing. For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do."
But he was talking about old technology the iPhone 4s. For me it's about the beauty of it something all Apple products achieve.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top