Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a bit of a review I did in another post, I'll update this was the winter goes along..

Well just fitted my winter tyres and I've tried something different With a Michelin Cross climate, actually these are what Skoda recommended so I was pleased to give them a go especially as the voucher they gave me covered most of the cost of them...

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate

I've been thinking about these for a while, they look a load like the early winters I use to run, I know they are not a true winter, but I've wanted to try them for a while. They say they are 85% winter with 85% summer.
The
So far I'm impressed, I'm running them on 17inch steel wheels with a narrower wheel and chunkier tyre. 215-65-17 pitched up against the 18 inch they are the same size as they 18's are lower profile.

Ok, so far I've noticed no difference in handling.
They are superb in the rain, they channel the water amazingly well.
Off road in the paddock behind out house they are good, self cleaning sheds the mud quickly.
I've not tried them in the snow yet, but on the cold frost this morning no problems

One last thing I've noticed the average MPG go UP! yes my 1.4 4x4 was getting 35-37 mpg I'm now getting 37-42mpg... that is unless my wife drives it as she tends to drive it like she stole it :D I won't talk about those numbers they make me cry..

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well they have had their first run out in the snow and I'm impressed with them.
They are very stable and you could feel them cutting into the fresh snow. When I parked up in the car park there was no compacted snow on them who they self clean well.

On compacted snow again, very impressed, lots of grip, no skidding and sliding. When I went off road on a field with snow in, absolutely fine. Lots of grip.

I'm averaging 35-40mpg when driven sensibly and there is hardly any road noise unlike my old Winters that were very noisy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mine arrived today 3 days earlier than I was expecting!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andyvee said:
Mine arrived today 3 days earlier than I was expecting!!!
Add your thoughts to this thread mate, it would be good to have a couple of thoughts on them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Will do, I'm holding off fitting them until the new Kodiaq turns up after Christmas. I'm not doing a huge amount of driving until then anyway as I'm off work for 2 weeks over Christmas.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lord Muck said:
One last thing I've noticed the average MPG go UP! yes my 1.4 4x4 was getting 35-37 mpg I'm now getting 37-42mpg... that is unless my wife drives it as she tends to drive it like she stole it :D I won't talk about those numbers they make me cry..
By reducing the rim size, the tyre will be narrower and therefore a smaller contact patch with the road. This will lead to reduced rolling resistance and therefore better MPG in theory. I need to run mine for longer to see what effect it has on MPG, but already the ride feels more supple over the 19" on Pirelli scorpion verdes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought would give you an update on these tyres...

Firstly I'm impressed with them, admittedly I was sceptical at first but wanted to give them a go.

They are silent compared to some of the winters I've had in the past, they do not affect the MPG are excellent in the wet.
I took them out in heavy snow yesterday and again was impressed with the grip and self cleaning.
Admittedly I was running the car on snow mode which gave it amazing traction and handing but the tyres just added to that and it never skidded or slid about.

I'm actually struggling to criticise them...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lord Muck said:
I thought would give you an update on these tyres...

Firstly I'm impressed with them, admittedly I was sceptical at first but wanted to give them a go.

They are silent compared to some of the winters I've had in the past, they do not affect the MPG are excellent in the wet.
I took them out in heavy snow yesterday and again was impressed with the grip and self cleaning.
Admittedly I was running the car on snow mode which gave it amazing traction and handing but the tyres just added to that and it never skidded or slid about.

I'm actually struggling to criticise them...
Same here - only been driving with them on for 3 days but went out farm track off roading and it was like driving on tarmac, even though there was a couple of inches of snow and hail and the odd patch of ice.

I'm also seeing a mpg improvement over my previous Kodiaq of identical spec that was on the 19" Triglavs, and the new one has only got 150 miles on the clock so is still tight!

Ive done lots of miles over the last 6 winters on Continental TS830 or TS850 winters and TBH I can't tell the difference in terms of grip levels.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've just checked the Michelin website and Cross Climates are now available for 18" wheels, (235/55 R18 100 V XL).

I shall be changing to these when my Pirellis wear out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Old and Grumpy said:
I've just checked the Michelin website and Cross Climates are now available for 18" wheels, (235/55 R18 100 V XL).

I shall be changing to these when my Pirellis wear out.
CORRECTION to above, the size is 235/55R18 104 V

1 - 10 of 10 Posts