Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have just picked up my Kodiaq Edition diesel 2wd dsg, being a total newbie to Automatics I see there are a couple of gears that I can select manually, when would it be beneficial l to use these ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Engine braking down hills?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zach, yeah you could be right about that lthough I've read somewhere there is an hill descent assist, but think it may only be on the 4wd variant, perhaps also the gears may be for if you are ascending a very steep hill ?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Jim,
I have had 5 DSG gear boxes.
You can select ALL forward gears (not reverse) by moving the stick to the left . It then becomes sequential. So you change gear by pushing or pulling the stick backwards/forwards, to go up or down the gears.
I only have the 1.4 TSi so there is not much engine breaking. You may well get more on the TDi as the compression ratios are much higher.
It does not convert it self to a true manual box. If you are in top gear and slow down to the extent that the engine is unhappy it will change down. if you come to a halt it will go into 1st, then when you set off (& forget it is in manual as I often do!!) it will rev its nuts off, because, although it will change down if unhappy it will NOT change up even if the rev limit is reached.
Frankly it is a bit of a waste of time. The car will put itself into the correct gear for the situation so manual is not even much use for steep hills. Since your, like mine, is 2WD we do not have hill descent or off road buttons.
The only very slight use I have found is that sometimes on a level road under light load it may not change up as quickly as you would want (mine hangs onto 1st gear if I take off slowly and do not accelerate much. It will go up to 20mph in 1st (6 speed). In instances like this you can flick it into manual and knock it up to second.
If I were you I would just leave it in Auto and see how you get on with it. Then when you have got some experience of how it operates, start playing about with the M function. I think you will find that once you get used to it manual gear boxes will fade into a distant memory!! (Specially if you are in the built up bits of Cheshire!) I would NEVER go back to manual. Life is too short and I am too old to [email protected] about changing gear! :)
To sum up .... It is a manual gear box with two clutches with gear selection operated electronically to suit the driving conditions, load/speed etc.
In M it gives you the option to select forward gears without the use of a clutch pedal but it will still 'do its own thing' and ignore you if it decides it knows better.
Have a great time with a great car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for that in depth explanation, as you say life's to short so I will keep it in auto & chil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts