Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today my 7-year-old got out of the car from the back seat and didn't close the door (as in wide open) I was distracted and didn't notice but the car locked (the mirrors folded etc.). This happened on our drive, I only noticed when I stepped out again a few minutes later for something, luckily it's didn't rain and even luckier the car wasn't stolen.

I tested and it seems as long as the front doors are closed the car will lock, even if both the rear doors are wide open and the sensor recognizes the doors as open (shows on the dash). Could a few members here please test this and let me know, I'd like to know if it's a design flaw or just my car. It'll help when I report it to the dealer.

My 09 Megane won't lock if any of the doors haven't properly closed, including if they're just ajar.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
188 Posts
To my surprise, my car is the same. I unlocked it, opened a rear door wide, locked it: the mirrors folded, and I found all closed doors and hatch were locked. The interior light remained on (but I wouldn't notice that in daylight).

I checked the handbook:
"The locking of the vehicle is displayed by the turn signal lights flashing once. If the driver's door has been opened, the vehicle cannot be locked.
If the doors or the boot lid remain open after the vehicle has been locked, the turn signal lights do not flash until they have been closed."

You and I were both fooled by the mirrors folding! We should be watching out for the indicators flashing confirmation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DaveM said:
To my surprise, my car is the same. I unlocked it, opened a rear door wide, locked it: the mirrors folded, and I found all closed doors and hatch were locked. The interior light remained on (but I wouldn't notice that in daylight).

I checked the handbook:
"The locking of the vehicle is displayed by the turn signal lights flashing once. If the driver's door has been opened, the vehicle cannot be locked.
If the doors or the boot lid remain open after the vehicle has been locked, the turn signal lights do not flash until they have been closed."

You and I were both fooled by the mirrors folding! We should be watching out for the indicators flashing confirmation.
I'll be darned! once the immobilizer came on I was convinced I didn't need to look any further. Cheers Dave, you're right the indicators only flash when all the doors have closed :oops:

·
Registered
119 Posts
How did you know the immobiliser came on?

Isn't this how every car works? Those doors that are shut are locked, those that aren't lock as soon as they're shut. You know all doors are shut and locked by the indicators flashing. If they don't flash, you know something is ajar.

It's just the same as when you pop the boot open on its own. The doors stay locked and the mirrors folder. When you then shut the boot it locks again and the indicators flash to indicate all doors are closed and locked again.

Seems logical and as per design?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so the flashing red immobiliser warning light is what I meant.

The car not locking at all if any of the doors are ajar is what seems logical to me, and as such "by design" becomes subjective. However, I now get what the design is meant to be for the kodiaq and I'm good with it.

And no, it's not how all the cars work, at least not my old car, if any of the doors are ajar it doesn't lock at all. So being familiar to that this seemed a bit out of the ordinary, is all.

Cheers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There's two sides to this, I had a Renault which had a much better auto locking than the skoda (ie it reliably locked when you just walked away, no need to touch anything), but it didn't lock if any of the door were open and that was annoying. My passengers are invariably slower than me at getting out and that's annoying if you have to wait for them.

The skoda solves that by letting you lock it, even if people are still getting out you can walk away. As long as you can either rely on them to shut the door or make sure you check, it's fine.

It's just abut managing expectations I don't think thers any right or wrong on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone
Just joined the forum after collecting my Skoda kodiaq SEL last week. I have been out today and when i stopped to get fuel i tried to lock the car. I touched the door handle to lock and it wouldn't do anything i had to get the key out and use the fob instead. Anybody got any ideas before I have to go back to the dealer with one of two issues. The other one is that the factory fitted extra front sensors don't seem to have an audible alert until you have to stop immediately which is a bit scary if your not going 1mph.
Can I just say that I absolutely love it so far apart from these issues

·
Registered
119 Posts
Make sure you're not putting your fingers anywhere near the inside of the handle when trying to lock. Just touch the 'line' on the outside of the handle with a single finger or thumb.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Woody43 - I had this on mine when I got it. It would not lock with my thumb. So I placed my whole palm on the handle and it locked. After a week of using a palm and not really thinking about it I started using my thumb again and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Front sensors should beep well before the red line appears on the screen.

·
Registered
617 Posts
All my previous cars locked even if a rear door was open. So I never thought of it as a design flaw.

For locking the door, I make sure the key is outside the car (in my pocket) and I simply place my palm on the handle (making sure I'm not putting any of my fingers inside the handle).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts