Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used left foot braking (LFB) on my automatic cars for years - mainly for smoothness rather than fast driving. I know it's Not For Everyone, and indeed is not recommended for the IAM, Police, and Driving Test, but it works for ME for reasons that I won't go into in this post.

My point here is that I have found a couple of benefits using LFB with the way DSG gearbox is programmed on the Kodiaq.

1) Complaints about slow or jerky starts from stationary with brakes on are common. However with left foot still on brake, introduce a little throttle with right foot and the stop-start kicks in AND first gear engages. So then release brake and the car immediately moves off as-smooth-as-you-like.

2) The DSG box is programmed to anticipate what gear you will want next. Sometimes it gets this wrong, resulting in the well known hestitation before accelerating for instance as it re-selects a lower gear.
When slowing down in say 6th coming up behind a lorry you are about to overtake, the box doesn't know there's a lorry to be overtaken and plans for economy by lining up 7th - completely wrong for when you DO accelerate, and we get that frustrating jerky hesitation. However when waiting behind lorry just before the road clears with left foot slightly on brake, ease down accelerator and the box will line-up and even change down to a lower gear - left foot off brake pedal as accelerator goes down and we get smoooth overtaking in the appropriate gear.

I am finding other uses for this happy coincidence of DSG programming. Changing down while braking coming into a roundabout or corner for instance - neither of which are good times to be working manual on the stick, or trying to find paddles on the rotated steering wheel.

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
92 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
1) Complaints about slow or jerky starts from stationary with brakes on are common. However with left foot still on brake, introduce a little throttle with right foot and the stop-start kicks in AND first gear engages. So then release brake and the car immediately moves off as-smooth-as-you-like.
Wouldn't engaging the automatic parking brake achieve a similar results?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Really useful post, KodiaqPetrolHead!

·
Registered
617 Posts
jackiedada said:
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
Wouldn't engaging the automatic parking brake achieve a similar results?
No, because it's electronic. At the slightest hint of foot on the accelerator, it disengages completely. But with left foot on the brake, you can control this.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
DO NOT pull the parking brake on while you are moving. You will get a very nasty shock. It is TOTAL GRAB!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I notice that if you 'soft press' the brake you can get it to keep engine running then if you realise you are stopped longer than you thought give a firmer press and the stop/start kicks in.

(Also good for exiting junctions where you need a decent look but not an all out stop.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
It would be totally alien to me to hit the brakes before making an overtake simply to trick the gearbox into doing something, with the unnecessary confusion of brake lights for the vehicle behind.

What's wrong with simply clicking down a gear or two - the wheel will be straight and the paddles will be at your finger tips - then flooring it?

Each to his own I guess.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Boxerboy55 said:
It would be totally alien to me to hit the brakes before making an overtake simply to trick the gearbox into doing something, with the unnecessary confusion of brake lights for the vehicle behind.

What's wrong with simply clicking down a gear or two - the wheel will be straight and the paddles will be at your finger tips - then flooring it?

Each to his own I guess.
Paddles are optional. DSGs won't have it unless you choose the heated steering wheel with paddles for £245.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts