Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, greetings from Australia,

I signed up to this forum since Skoda is not very popular over here in Australia, and the Kodiaq is quite new, so not much of a local user base.

I am seriously considering buying one but I am left feeling a little disappointed by wind and exterior noise after a test drive. I am coming from a 2014 Honda Accord, so its not as if I'm comparing it to a premium car :roll:

Wind noise was quite noticeable on highway and I could clearly hear engine and tyre noise of cars driving by when I drove in the city. First I thought a window was left open, so I double checked, but all were closed.. it was that bad :shock: .

Some youtube reviewers also mention about noise, so I'm guessing it is a common problem. How do you find noise levels with your cars ? And have any of you managed to reduce it somehow ?

P.S: I saw an "Acoustic front window glass" mentioned as a change in the Week 22 updates thread. So hoping the newer models are little better, at least with wind noise on highways, but not sure if that made any difference to other road noises leaking in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Coming from a 2013 Mercedes E220 CDI, I find the Kodiaq to be a very quiet car. It's the first time I'm seeing someone not happy with the noise. Which engine did you try?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I can compare only to my previous car - Renault Grand Scenic that is a small MPV. I don't find any wind noise issues even at 130 km/h... compared to Scenic. I have Kodiaq of model year 2018 but I do suggest you to testdrive again with the new model. Regarding acoustic windshield... I saw some rumors on German forum but nothing official. When I drive, I usually listen to Canton so it is even harder to hear noise.

Question: Did you have a panno in your test car? Was it open?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Looks as though you're on your own Phoenix.
Out of 76 cars I've owned the K is the quietest I've owned. No discernable wind or tyre noise, right up to 80mph.
Very weird that you should have found it noisy????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another vote for extremely quiet....I've had a 2014 Superb diesel for the last three years..can't get over how quiet the Kodiaq is in comparison especially given its huge front end.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Me too. There were a few comments in a couple of reviews about wind noise from the mirrors, but personally very happy with mine and not noticed any noise issues.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I found it very quiet in my test drive (and that was a diesel). It was influential in my choice as I'm fed up not being able to hear myself think in my crappy nissan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned a Renault Symbol, a Golf, Subaru Forester and now a Kodiaq. I have to say that I hardly hear any noise in my Kodiaq compared with the other cars ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your comments.

bigboss said:
Which engine did you try?
Drove the 2.0L petrol variant with the automatic DSG transmission (the only engine option available in Australia for now; a diesel 2.0L is expected to arrive sometime next year).

romanv said:
Question: Did you have a panno in your test car? Was it open?
No sunroof.

I was told by the sales rep that the car belonged to a dealer demo fleet that came to Australia with a special "Launch pack" configuration which is not available to the public. So that particular variant or the vehicle may have had noise isolation issues since it was an early release :?:

Both me and my wife noticed higher noise levels straight away. When I mentioned this to the sales rep who joined us in the test drive, he didn't deny it either, instead said SUVs generally have little bit more wind noise than cars because there they have more vertical surface area.

More than the wind noise I was let down by the outside road noise coming in (e.g: engine/tyre noise of other vehicles on the road and general city noise e.g: ticking noise made by pedestrian crossing lights, car horns etc..).

Maybe I need to test drive another one, but unfortunately, most dealers only seem to have the launch pack configuration available for test driving.

P.S: My accord has active noise cancelling, so perhaps its quieter than most average cars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm also in the quiet camp. Very impressed by the noise isolation, wind and road. I had an Audi A3 Sportback in the UK and the road noise was horrendous. Kodiaq is very quiet by comparison.

I haven't driven a Honda, don't think I'm old enough yet!! ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AndyH said:
I haven't driven a Honda, don't think I'm old enough yet!! ;)
LOL, I'm still in my 30s :oops: . Picked a 9th gen Accord because I liked the design and how comfortable/quiet it was compared to the competition.

Your profile says you are in NZ, wondering if you have the same Kodiaq spec as we do in AU, with the 2.0Ltr TSI DSG + 19" wheels + 7 seats + optional Luxury (include most safety features, leather seats etc) and Tech (adaptive chassis control, automatic parking and off road mode) packs?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep the spec is comprehensive on mine (140KW TDi Style) it is only missing the pano roof and heated rear seats I believe, everything else seems to be there.

Bang goes my theory of the Honda acoustic system being an audio induction loop for hearing aids then !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't turn off active noise cancelling on my car so don't know how much of an impact it has. I didn't pay too much attention to it thinking its just another marketing gimmick. But I have to admit its one of the quietest cars I've ever driven, perhaps its more effective than I thought. And now I'm spoilt by it. :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
you aren't alone with the kodiaq noise thing. while i haven't noticed it, when i routinely ask my wife how the car is going (a few weeks old now), she has mentioned that the noise is a bit pronounced somewhere around the drivers window. this is coming from a 2005 golf, and more recently a 2016 Passat Alltrack. She currently drives the kodiaq a lot more than me - she's on parental leave, doing a few km, such as a few trips along the freeway to get the kids to sleep.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sclyde2 said:
you aren't alone with the kodiaq noise thing
Seeing that you are also from AU, wonder if the AU spec has more noise issues than the Euro spec ??

·
Registered
49 Posts
After my test drive and other opinions of how quiet the Kodiaq is I'm looking forward to collecting it today.

The road/tyre noise in my current 2015 BMW 220d active tourer is horrendous due to the run flats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have not experienced any noise from the Kodiaq as well here in the west. Apart from the usual running through a speed bumps and railroad crossings. Which is eliminated significantly by the comfort mode settings.

Although I am just comparing it with a Korean car.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Phoenix,
I reckon that there must have been a batch of early/pre production cars with sound deadening kit left off.
Take it from all those above, the real thing is supremely quiet.

·
Registered
617 Posts
"Quiet" is a relative term I guess.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It is. Today we drove about 150 km on the highway (130 km/h with ACC) to Gorenjska and back and we had no noise issues or we are definitely deaf :)

Still the consumption suprises me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts