Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a quick question about my new car that I'm expecting to get in late April or early May (hopefully!).

My current 2019 Sportline 2.0TDi 190 has the Columbus infotainment system plus Canton. From what I've read (mostly here), my new car, which has in effect the same system (Columbus plus Canton) will get an extra couple of speakers for the Canton system, but will lose both the CD slot and the twin SD card slots that are in the glovebox.

For those that have this system already, how can I then load my entire music library to the car? My current car has the Jukebox function, which I don't use as it only has a 10GB SSD HDD available for the Jukebox (3k songs), which isn't really enough for my needs as I can't be bothered choosing what I load up. I just copy my entire music library across to a 128GB micro SD, then put it in a holder to convert it to normal SD card size and it works perfectly. Does the latest system have a bigger Jukebox available to load music to (presumably via the USB-C)?

Any pointers gratefully received!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have Canton + Columbus MIB3 but I'm not aware of any Jukebox or on-board storage. There's no need for it now.

Apart from two type-C USB connectors, everything else is digital connection. One big difference between MIB2 and 3 is the ability to use wireless Android Auto or CarPlay ( the latter which I've never used ). I have everything on my phone so if it's not Spotify, it's just a case of using an Android Auto compatible music app and Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have an Amazon Music subscription, but there are a couple of issues with using it in the car. The app when connected through to the Columbus via Apple CarPlay works fine in so far as it's possible to get music to play, but it doesn't have a search function other than on the phone screen and is just very difficult to use. That makes it next to useless for using when on the move.

A more fundamental issue (and one that will affect all streaming music such as Spotify, which I don't have) is that I live out in the sticks in the SW so mobile coverage when driving around is patchy at best. It's really annoying when you're streaming music which then glitches or just stops playing because your phone has dropped the signal.

And whilst I have a decent iPhone with lots of storage, I don't really want to fill it up with music as I'd have to delete my photos and videos to fit the music instead. It's just not as convenient as having all of my music already in the car that can be searched and played direct through the Columbus Media controls rather than having to rely on Apple CarPlay.

I'm hoping to get a test drive in the 2.0TDi 200 Sportline that my local dealer has as a demonstrator, although it's been off the road with some technical issue for at least a month (which is something of a concern anyway!) Hopefully I can have a play with it at that point and work out how I can get my music onto the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How often do you look at all your photos and videos? What I'm saying is why would you not offload photos to elsewhere and use the space for the music that you do use?

I've never really managed to get Amazon Music on Android to work very well, Spotify is x100 more user friendly. Search? I use voice to search.

If you're unable to communicate with the outside world then why not put your music on a usb stick? I downloaded the Android App AIMP - works for me. Whatever you decide, you'll have to come up with a solution that doesn't involve jukebox because MIB3 has no CD, no SD slot and no internal hard disk.

PS - not sure if you're aware of it or not but MIB3 Canton software is far more comprehensive than the old MIB2 software. I think you only have bass, treble and tone on the old system which is pretty naff. You now have the option of equaliser settings and /or Dolby ProLogic Surround.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I do have some equalizer settings on my car and it definitely has a surround function - not sure if it's Dolby ProLogic though, think the setting available shows it as a Canton Surround with a slider 0-9, but not 100% sure, will have to check. Not something I generally play around with though - I generally find the settings I like and then just stick with that.

I chose to pay for Amazon Music because most of the streaming I do is using the outrageously good in-ear monitors that I use when out with the dogs. Amazon stream music in HD quality (at least CD quality, sometimes better), which Spotify don't. As I don't currently stream music in my car (and tbh the sound quality or soundstage will never be a patch on my headphones!) then quality is the more important factor over the user interface. And the biggest bar to me just streaming everything in my car is the woeful mobile signal out in the sticks of the SW UK. It's really annoying when the music you're listening to just stops for no good reason!

I'm sure I can get a USB stick that I can just keep plugged in - sounds like it's a step backwards to me though. I used to keep an old iPod touch that had all of my music on it and connected it to both my Audi A5 and LR Disco Sport and it worked just fine. Sadly didn't work in the Kodiaq, but the SD Card worked just as well once I understood how it interacted with the files from my MacBook Pro.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody with a newish Kodiaq with the MIB3 Columbus system know whether an external SSD HDD will work, connected permanently to one of the USB-C ports? Is there a maximum size that will work? Thinking of getting one of these:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BH...olid=1CUH6G2JYIB1P&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Nice and small, slim and with an appropriate right-angle USB-C connection it ought to just be possible for it to live in the small cubby with the sliding lid closed. Easily big enough for my entire music collection!

·
Registered
2 Posts
exactly the same question I was about to ask as in a moment of madness I have ordered a new Kodiaq SE DSG delivery heaven knows when (March 2023).... the lack of the SD slot has me quite vexed but would appreciate a tried tested proven steer on a usbC device that will do the job for music, please.
many thanks in advance peoples

1 - 7 of 7 Posts