Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
new to the forum,just ordered a new kodiaq.hoping for a few pointers on here as ive just ordered a 7 seater semi auto kodiaq SE l.
never had an automatic,and having a caravan looking forward to towing with it...appreciate any do's and don'ts while towing.

cheeers :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome aboard and great choice, loads of information on here and the members are very helpful

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Jacko,

Welcome to the site, just be sure to run the new car in before towing the caravan. Think the manual suggests waiting until you have at least 1000 miles on the clock, the DSG should look after all the gear changes etc so just keep an eye on it to ensure your not labouring the engine.

Other than that it's just the usual stuff, make sure you stay within the weight limits etc and load the caravan properly while transporting to site.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,esnw,
been towing for 20 year with a manual gearbox,i have never even sat in an automatic,never mind drive one.however after test driving,thought this is the way to go.
was really just wondering if while towing,lower gear selection may be advised when descending on hills while towing,and on steep gradients.....or will the car do the work??

cheers jacko

·
Registered
159 Posts
jacko said:
was really just wondering if while towing,lower gear selection may be advised when descending on hills while towing,and on steep gradients.....or will the car do the work??
I can't speak for what it does when towing, but in general driving the car will detect when you are descending and braking, and then drop to lower gears automatically.

Alternatively you can select gears manually by driving it in semi-auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
I had an Octavia Estate 2litre diesel automatic for 5 years and took delivery of the Kodiaq Scout last month, as I am planning to get a 4 berth caravan early in 2018 that would be above the weight limit for the Octavia
When towing, the DSG gearbox looks after everything, when driving down a steep hill it drops down a gear or two to give you some engine braking
I never had any problems towing with the Octavia apart from a small increase in engine temperature when driving up a long and steep motorway gradient in Spain during a hot summer
Haven't yet towed with the new car but don't expect any problems, it didn't win the Towcar of the Year Award for nothing!
Enjoy the car when you get it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi andy,
cheers for that,just a little nervous having never ever driven an auto,im sure it will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts