Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the answer is no. In Australia the Tyres are 235 x 50R 19". No problem in Europe or the UK where the tyres are smaller. I repeat, if you are a visitor to the snow or the Alps in Winter for an overnight stay in Victoria you will not be able to take this vehicle in to the resorts of Mt Buller, Mt Hotham or Falls Creek. The reason you must carry Snow Chains. There are NO CHAINS THAT FIT. Take note Skoda Australia. It is a clearance issue with the front wheels and arches.
Oh, the head office in Sydney were very helpful....."You can purchase 17" wheels and tyres at the dealership" Phewy to that.
How many sales in Victoria will be lost because of this. I might add I was not told of this important fact at the dealership. I should have been informed. Don't you think.

·
Registered
130 Posts
daveskis said:
Well the answer is no. In Australia the Tyres are 235 x 50R 19". No problem in Europe or the UK where the tyres are smaller. I repeat, if you are a visitor to the snow or the Alps in Winter for an overnight stay in Victoria you will not be able to take this vehicle in to the resorts of Mt Buller, Mt Hotham or Falls Creek. The reason you must carry Snow Chains. There are NO CHAINS THAT FIT. Take note Skoda Australia. It is a clearance issue with the front wheels and arches.
Oh, the head office in Sydney were very helpful....."You can purchase 17" wheels and tyres at the dealership" Phewy to that.
How many sales in Victoria will be lost because of this. I might add I was not told of this important fact at the dealership. I should have been informed. Don't you think.
Interesting! In the UK, where snow tyres and snow chains have no legal requirement, this simply didn't come up but there was a momentary panic last week as we looked through the legal requirements for tyres/chains for the countries we were passing through on the upcoming roadtrip - especially as we were heading for a couple of mad alpine destinations en route.

But just: really? A reasonably large 4x4 SUV that can't take snow chains (in AU?) :shock: bizarre. I wonder what's driving the larger tyre sizes? Whether that's some arbitrary default export setting or whether that's more regulatory? Or?

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's just weird.
I had chains for my old 4x4 Octavia because we regularly go to Switzerland, but in three years never used them. Winter tyres are mandatory there, and with the Octavia's 4 wheel drive it was pretty unstoppable.
My winter wheels/tyres for the 4x4 Kodiaq are 225x 55 R17. I presumably could get chains that fit, but won't bother. Smaller winter wheels & tyres would be an answer though if you HAVE to carry chains.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am hardly a usual visitor to the snow. but i have always known that low profile tyres are often not compatible with snow chains. I always had the number 17 in my head as being around about the largest wheel size you could go (on a non-SUV) before it started to become an issue. i suspect some SUVs with really tall wheel/tyres could go a bit larger...... but not something i'd assume if i was gonna count on it.

so, are the rules that you have to "carry" chains, or do you have to put them on if snow is on the road on the way up to the resort? If you had a set of winter tyres/wheels, you probably would never need to put the chains on. Just "carry" some token ones to pass the rules.

i know of a set of triglavs that are coming up for sale......

or, maybe the purchaser of those might be upgrading from 17s or 18s......

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting comments guys. Thanks Zac I have the information from Roof Carrier Systems. The proprietor Richard rang Skoda in Sydney(head office) and their response was Kodiaq in Australia is only supplied with 19' wheels. You can buy 17" wheels that are able to have chains fitted.

The Alps here in Victoria are quite unique in that the village areas are above the snowline. And it is mandated by all the resorts all vehicles must carry chains if staying over night.
Different to NSW, sclyde2 where the villages are sighted almost below the snowline, as in Perisher and Thredbo.
So next week I am travelling by bus from Mansfield to Mt Buller because I am staying over night. Therefore can't drive my Kodiaq up the mountain. Crazy really. I suppose I could throw my old chains in the back and claim I have some.......they just don't happen to fit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dalglir said:
daveskis said:
Interesting! In the UK, where snow tyres and snow chains have no legal requirement, this simply didn't come up but there was a momentary panic last week as we looked through the legal requirements for tyres/chains for the countries we were passing through on the upcoming roadtrip - especially as we were heading for a couple of mad alpine destinations en route.

But just: really? A reasonably large 4x4 SUV that can't take snow chains (in AU?) :shock: bizarre. I wonder what's driving the larger tyre sizes? Whether that's some arbitrary default export setting or whether that's more regulatory? Or?
Not sure why SUV's are mostly 19 or 20 here in Oz. We don't need Winter Tyres here. So fitting chains to AWD is very rare, but you still have to carry them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in continental Europe, most default configurations can't fit chains. (7" wide rims, whether 18" or 19" diameter rims). Only the 17"x6.5" can fit chains. Obviously, there are wheel/wheelarch clearance problem.

The wheels need to be a tiny bit narrower (6.5" wide vs. 7") and mounted a bit more outside (ET38 vs ET40), so one gets a bit more clearance there (about 1.5cm more), that allows you to fit the chains.

I guess the reasoning is following:
Few people (from the overall customer base) fit chains (even Austria, Germany, Switzerland). 4x4 AWD cars are usually exempted anyway (and winter tires are required anyway). So the need for chains in Kodiaq is actually statistically very low.

For those, who really need to put on chains in the winter, there are many options to have 17"x6.5" rims. Frankly, if one has two sets of tires (and it is a good idea, to have winter tyres if you go anywhere where there is snow/ice on the road - and then, it is not a good idea to use these tires in summer, hence a second set of summer tires is needed), then you can have two sets, and the winter set is chain-compatible.

A set of winter wheels with tires go for about 1000 EUR here. Not that much compared to the price of Kodiaq. Especially, if the tires are good for 5+ years, and the rims maybe for 10+ years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also in Norway most of the car owners have two set of wheels for their car. One for the summer tires in a low profile (40-55) And for the winter / snow a set of wheel that are smaller but white higher profile ( 55-65)

·
Registered
114 Posts
BengtN said:
Also in Norway most of the carbowners have two set of wheels for their car. One for the summer tires in avlogging profile (40-55) And for the winter / snow a set of wheel that are smaller but white higher profile ( 55-65)
Yup - also in Denmark. My dealer supplies a set of winter wheels at delivery which will be as defined as Kodiaq standard (215/65 R17), though I haven't been successful in finding chains for them other than from Skoda's selection of accessories.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't see anything unusual with needing a second set of a specific size of wheels in order to be able to fit chains.

This is fairly standard practice in Europe.

For example, on the Octavia 3 Skoda recommend 5.5J X 16 IIRC, but I am pretty sure even the basic models are supplied with 6J x 16.

I wouldn't want to fit chains to diamond cut alloys anyway, it will ruin them. That is why in Europe those that fit winter tyres tend to have a second set of steel wheels in one of the manufacturer specified sizes for winters, or winters+chains.

·
Registered
175 Posts
elcamino78 said:
I guess the reasoning is following:
Few people (from the overall customer base) fit chains (even Austria, Germany, Switzerland). 4x4 AWD cars are usually exempted anyway (and winter tires are required anyway). So the need for chains in Kodiaq is actually statistically very low.
Yep - in Switz for example everyone is on winter tyres in winter (they throw the book at you if not when stopped for anything else) and if a road is particularly tricky the police put signs up indicating 4x4 OR chains only beyond this point. Anyone who disobeys it and slides about receives unrestrained wroth of fellow Swiss drivers!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
That's how it works over here..!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the same snow chain problem on my Superb. The answer is a ladder rack chain like these: http://www.thule-snowchains.net/4x4-snow-chains/K-Summit-XL-snow-chains/. They are low profile and there is nothing behind the wheel. They do need quite careful sizing to the tyre before you use them in anger. Not cheap but , in my case, living in the south of England and 2 trips to the Alps per year, much more cost effective than snow tyres seeing as the bulk of the journey is on clear French autoroutes. Only used them once in 6 year ownership of the Superb but when you need them you need them. The Superb ones are just too small to fit on the Kodiaq so need a new set :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
- The problem with driving in snowy countries without snow tyres (besides possible fines) is that on moderate ice or snow without chains the car won't STOP controllably.

·
Registered
407 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
- The problem with driving in snowy countries without snow tyres (besides possible fines) is that on moderate ice or snow without chains the car won't STOP controllably.
Anyone who does, is quite frankly an idiot, and in most of those countries it is mandatory to fit winter tyres. You can receive some quite hefty fines if you don't have winter tyres on.

And if you are fitting winters, go with the manufacturer recommended sizes, they recommend for a reason - clearance from bodywork and suspension components etc. They tend to be a narrower profile as well, which is want you want for snow and ice, more pressure per sq cm of tyre contact area.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tangler said:
Had the same snow chain problem on my Superb. The answer is a ladder rack chain like these: http://www.thule-snowchains.net/4x4-snow-chains/K-Summit-XL-snow-chains/. They are low profile and there is nothing behind the wheel. They do need quite careful sizing to the tyre before you use them in anger. Not cheap but , in my case, living in the south of England and 2 trips to the Alps per year, much more cost effective than snow tyres seeing as the bulk of the journey is on clear French autoroutes. Only used them once in 6 year ownership of the Superb but when you need them you need them. The Superb ones are just too small to fit on the Kodiaq so need a new set :(
Hey tangler those chains are known as a 'spider chain' and apparently banned at Mt Hotham because they can slip on the tyre and throw off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those that haven't been to Melbourne, Victoria or Sydney , NSW. Winter here with a few degrees variation throughout the state is 1 to 15C. It hardly ever snows in country Victoria below 1000 meters same in NSW. I can't remember the last time it snowed in the suburbs in Melbourne. Winter types are absolutely not needed. But even if you fitted them for the occasional black ice roads. You still need snow chains to be carried in the alps in Victoria only. You will not be allowed on the mountain without them.
And for those that think there is not much snow in the alps in Australia. Here is an interesting fact. There is more snow area in the Australian Alps in Winter than there is in the whole Switzerland.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My supplier of said snow chains tells me that the chain fitting dilemma is not only applicable to Kodiaq. They can't fit Audi Q7 or Volvo XC90 either.

·
Registered
130 Posts
daveskis said:
Had a brainfart or something but, of course, the Euro Edition has 19" triglavs and, indeed, the tyres are 235/50/19 here as well.

We're going a couple of fairly obscure Alpine routes and wayyyyy off the motorway and various forums are giving mixed messages. The nearest thing to consensus seems to be that snowchains are required to be at least carried for some roads where there is a signposted requirement - and police have been known to refuse access, even if clear, because it might not be clear on the way back.

There is also an insurance consideration where any accident or blockage caused by NOT having chains equipped may be found PERSONALLY LIABLE by insurer.

So we'll be picking some chains up from Halfords and crossing our fingers there's no snow fall in peak summer 😳 but the observation about clearance was concerning - these are reasonably wide wheel arches? Dunno. I'll give it go...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts