Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure you all took the time to reseach and test drive other cars and decided that the Kodiaq was far superior to all other choices. However, a friend of mine has foolishly purchased a discovery sport! What reasons would you say makes the Kodiaq trump all other rivals?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Editiongrey said:
Im sure you all took the time to reseach and test drive other cars and decided that the Kodiaq was far superior to all other choices. However, a friend of mine has foolishly purchased a discovery sport! What reasons would you say makes the Kodiaq trump all other rivals?
Maybe your friend just preferred the Disco, that doesn't make him foolish.

The Kodiaq might suit my needs more than others but that doesn't mean it trumps them. Most of the positives have their drawbacks so it's just a balancing game.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discovery Sport is a better off roader and bigger brand appeal then Kodiaq.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For me our requirements were a petrol 7 seat automatic SUV and unless my research sucked there were no other vehicles out there (at least not in our price bracket). We looked at SanteFe, Sorento, Discovery Sport, Outlander, X-Trail etc. The Kodiaq ticked all the boxes in terms of requirements and features and was absolutely fabulous to drive.

I have not been disappointed (so far) with my limited (1 week) ownership. Previous car was a 2008 Honda CR-V.

·
Registered
61 Posts
https://www.whatcar.com/news/land-rover-discovery-sport-vs-skoda-kodiaq-vs-toyota-land-cruiser-verdict/
The Kodiaq stacks up, the above review is pretty much echoed everywhere else.
I have not seen any comparison between the the Discovery Sport and the Kodiaq in off road ability so I cant comment on that.
I'd guess that the amount of Disco Sports and Kodiaqs that will be taken off road will be tiny!
As an interesting aside, when my son worked at our local Skoda dealership, he sold several Yetis to people that had test driven Freelanders and the odd Discovery and found the Yeti to ride and handle better......
The Kodiaq is, without question, an alternative to the Disco and all other SUVs, I think, in most cases, your choice will be about the badge, what most fits you and the deal as opposed to assuming that the Kodiaq is really wanting in too many areas.
I bought mine because Ive owned a Fabia and an Octavia and found them to be every bit as good as VW/Audi and Im too old to buy into a badge.
The Kodiaq was the next logical progression for me and its proving to be every bit as good as I expected it to be.
Bang for Bucks, its unbeatable IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I did not drive or consider any other car (apart from a brief dalliance with the Forester~ never driven though~ when I was getting seriously cheesed off with the K delivery situation)
K is my 5th Skoda after Fabia estate & 3 Yetis. I loved the Yetis but needed a bigger boot.
I was quite happy to put my trust In Skoda with regard to build quality (door cards? :? excepted), road holding, comfort and performance.
Although a lot has been said About Landy reliability and I cannot comment on modern ones. I had a 108 ser III cart spring and an 88 ditto, then a REAL MkI disco and then a 'Ford' Disco all of which were completely faultless.
One thing I AM certain about is, that the K, Scout or otherwise, will not match up to the Disco off road, but as said above, how many Chelsea tractors actually go off road? Pavements on school runs, do not apply! :lol
Also I don't think you will get anywhere near the same spec on a Disco for the same price as an SE L Kodiaq.
BUT you pays your ££ & you takes your choice.
I'll stick with Skoda thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
BearNecessity said:
For me our requirements were a petrol 7 seat automatic SUV and unless my research sucked there were no other vehicles out there (at least not in our price bracket). We looked at SanteFe, Sorento, Discovery Sport, Outlander, X-Trail etc. The Kodiaq ticked all the boxes in terms of requirements and features and was absolutely fabulous to drive.

I have not been disappointed (so far) with my limited (1 week) ownership. Previous car was a 2008 Honda CR-V.
We were pretty much the same. Small things pushed others out of the way. Lack of kit on the Disco sport, lack of a petrol auto (and their auto being a CVT) on the xtrail......

·
Registered
21 Posts
I come in peace from planet discosportforums.co.uk. ;)

Been lurking on here for a few days after going to look at a Kodiaq at Sparshatt's in Botley. Owned Land Rovers for at least the last 11 years but this Discovery Sport will be my last. My previous Discovery 3 was outstanding in every respect and by far the best family car we've ever owned. The Sport is just awful in comparison.

Currently driving a Discovery Sport Auto HSE and I can't wait to get rid of it; even Honest John has now downgraded it to a "2" rating.

Unfortunately, Jaguar Land Rover have become little more than just a lifestyle brand these days. The vehicles promise so much but almost always fail to deliver. The Discovery Sport is a nice concept, but an incredibly poor execution. This car has turned me from a brand promoter to a detractor within the space of only a few months.

Never before have I had to have Land Rover Assist out to deal with so many problems on a brand new car. Gearbox fault put the car into limp home mode, wires to the diesel exhaust fluid injector "snapped" (how?), it rattles like a bag o' spanners, and the automatic gearbox is the worst automatic gearbox I have ever driven. Couple that with the massive oil dilution problem that now seems to be affecting most of the modern Land Rover diesel range and you've got about the ropiest car you can buy for £40k.

My first choice to replace it is a used 15/16MY XC90 but I am also looking at the Kodiaq.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
At least here in NZ there is just about no competition apart from the Mazda CX-9. The Mazda is too big by almost 40cm and I preferred the driving experience of the Kodiaq. CX-9 looks a lot sleeker though, inside and out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took extended test drives in a BMW X3 (New model due so tempting offers) and although great to drive, didn't offer the family space we were looking for, and a Discovery Sport. The Disco was closer to what we were looking for with regard to space ( 3 kids including a 6'3" 16-year old, a 14--year old, and a 4-year old in a high-back booster seat. We also have a Labrador, and carry a fleet of quite large brass musical instruments regularly). I was quite impressed with the car overall, although I felt the 9-speed auto box maybe had too many ratios and was a bit busy. My wife however was put off straight away by an over-zealous drive out with the salesman at the wheel, and had turned green by the time I got to drive. This, accompanied by the lack of boot when all seats are up, and the mounting lack of practical touches which feature heavily in the Kodiaq, seemed to seal the Disco's fate. She did however admit later that she quite liked the way it drove from behind the wheel. Having owned a couple of new Octavia Diesel Estates in the past we were looking forward to a test in the Kodiaq, and she in particular was very impressed with the space and practicality. We tried the dealer's 1.4 DSG and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't really underpowered 3-up, and we were impressed with the ride and handling, however I still felt that diesel was the way to go for us, and I'm picking her up on Friday PM. We can't wait.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about the Discovery Sport autobox having too many ratios; it's constantly flitting between gears and can never seem to make its mind up which gear it should been. Invariably, it's always in the wrong gear (in the interests of emissions, no doubt). The worst thing with this gearbox is that when you give it the beans, it will change up a few gears, the revs scream into the red, by which time the engine has realised it's run out of torque and it has to change down again. Many of the DS reviews rave about how awesome the gearbox is. When you have to live with it from day to day, it's just about the worst aspect of driving the Discovery Sport. I'm curious to see how it compares to the Kodiaq DSG. The Volvo XC90 auto was outstanding in every respect with gear changes being completely seamless both up and down the ratios. It's a good £10k more though.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, those were almost exactly my feelings about the DS 'box. I haven't actually had the opportunity to drive a Diesel DSG in the Kodiaq, but have in other models over the years and always found it to be pretty intuitive. It worked far better in the 1.4 petrol than the manual I tried 5 months ago, which did occasionally feel underpowered espescially in top gear on the motorway. The DSG generally was always in the right gear at the right time. I'm fairly confident that I will be impressed with it, I ordered the 190 just to be sure :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts