Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be interesting to ask what cars you have been looking at before settling on the Kodiaq. I found it by accident, not knowing Skoda had just launched it and popped in to the dealership to rule out the Yeti.

Honda CRV: Nice car, also very practical. Comes with a dreaded CVT gearbox though and PCP was too expensive.

Vauxhall Mokka: should be called Mokkery. Absolute crap.

Seat Ateca: Would probably have got this if I hadn't discovered the Kodiaq.

Hyundai/Toyota: skipped these on the basis of poor experience with the local dealers.

Kia: The Sorrento seemed like a good car on paper but we just didn't like the drive and was bigger than we needed. Same with the Sportage, apart from the size. PCP was too expensive for Kia and they would not negotiate due to demand.

Peugeot 5008: This was released after I ordered the Kodiaq and I was a bit concerned that I should have waited for this to launch. Our local pug dealer is very good. Glad I didn't wait, as I have seen the demonstrators around and IMHO they are fugly. Also I think the 1.2l engine would be insufficient.

Suzuki Vitara: A bargain but the boot is tiny.

Audi/VW: Had Audi's before the Skoda and was set to get Q3. Why would you when you get the same car with a Skoda badge for a lot less money?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looked at:
Q3 - nice, just don't ask adults to get in the back (rear doors RIDICULOUSLY small)
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - lovely to drive; liked the hybrid assist and 360 camera. Didn't like the "low-rent" feel of rear seat, infotainment controls and (1970s?) interior light switches
A Superb again - preferred the Kodiaq's high driving position and ease of entry/exit.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Looked at the Mazda CX-9. Too big.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Zach said:
Looked at the Mazda CX-9. Too big.
Looked at the Mazda CX-5, great car, good engine well built and nice to drive. Considered it except towball load is 84kg and and car is a bit too small, I struggle to get my caravan nose weight as low as this. The CX 9 is not available in the UK.
It was a close call between Disco Sport and Kodiaq but just felt LR could be less reliable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Honda CRV seemed dated and too expensive for what it was offering
Toyota RAV4 - wasn't a comfortable drive and even though l booked a test drive the model l wanted to drive wasn't available!
Mazda CX-5 - considered it but the one l drove had a fault which stalled the engine every time l started moving with eco mode enabled
Seat Ateca - sales guy didnt engage with me walked out of dealership without test driving after an hours wait

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am sure I posted this somewhere else. There are so few mainstream 7 seat petrol SUV options (the Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe are both diesel only) and the "premium" brand options have high running costs (XC90, Q7, X5, GL). The Discovery Sport was and is a bit rubbish in terms of build quality. Too many cheap plastics & ergonomically didn't work for me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I done most of my research on paper and discounted many due to lack of boot space or transmission issues.

Looked at:

XTRAIL - Auto only seemed to be on diesel and is a CVT with a dress on. Didn't really like the car anyway and Nissan seem to have gone downhill.

Seat Ateca - Felt much cheaper than the Kodiaq than it should've. Only 5 seats

Honda CRV - CVT box again. only 5 seats

Kia Sportage - Seemed expensive for what it is. Auto was only available on a £25k+ model in petrol and it's an insanely thirsty engine. Really wasn't impressed with the interior and lack of LED headlights.

I didn't pay much attention to the 7 seat Hyundai or Kia due to cost and no obvious petrol options.

In the end the Kodiaq felt much nicer inside and offered a lot more than the rest, with the extra 2 seats making it a no brainer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Octavia combi - ex-demo price, fuel efficiency, ticked all boxes, but Kodiaq better for resale as NZ is obsessed with SUVs

CX-9 : beautiful front-end, expensive looking cabin, but too many dials and buttons. Kodiaq for rarity factor

·
Registered
127 Posts
A bit anorak-like, but when deciding on a new SUV last year I decided to average out on-line ratings (Autoexpress, etc - based on roughly 9 reviews of each car, which I assumed might average out any bias. It was worth an hour's work when considering a 30K purchase - along with test drives, etc). For what it's worth, here are the results in descending order (out of 5 max and Spring 2017 so may be different now)…..
Ateca 4.61
Kodiaq 4.59
Kadjar 4.32
3008 4.26
Tiguan 4.22
New CX5 4.13
Old CX5 4.12
Toureg 4.07
Sorento 4.06
Santa Fe 3.99
Sportage 3.98
X-Trail 3.91
5008 3.84
Tucson 3.79
CRV 3.69
Kuga 3.58
RAV4 3.18

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Can I put my 3penn'orth in please?
Swindiaq said:
Thought it might be interesting to ask what cars you have been looking at before settling on the Kodiaq. I found it by accident, not knowing Skoda had just launched it and popped in to the dealership to rule out the Yeti.

Honda CRV: Nice car, also very practical. Comes with a dreaded CVT gearbox though and PCP was too expensive. Non turbo in petrol form thirsty and gutless

Vauxhall Mokka: should be called Mokkery. Absolute crap. All Vauxhall SUV are CRAP, that is why they keep bringing different models out all the time, trying to get lucky and so far always missing the target, let alone the bullseye by miles.

Seat Ateca: Would probably have got this if I hadn't discovered the Kodiaq.I agree, had it not been for the fact that I needed a bigger boot than the Yeti. Since K is my 5th Skoda, and never had any problems. Happy to stick with them

Hyundai/Toyota: skipped these on the basis of poor experience with the local dealers. No experience of either

Kia: The Sorrento seemed like a good car on paper but we just didn't like the drive and was bigger than we needed. Same with the Sportage, apart from the size. PCP was too expensive for Kia and they would not negotiate due to demand. Ditto. but only derv on the Sportage (&
I do NOT like the 'devils fuel' ;)

Peugeot 5008: This was released after I ordered the Kodiaq and I was a bit concerned that I should have waited for this to launch. Our local pug dealer is very good. Glad I didn't wait, as I have seen the demonstrators around and IMHO they are fugly. Also I think the 1.2l engine would be insufficient. Agreed re 1.2 & Fugly and Pug have yet to convince me that they have got over their chronic electrical problems. Not as a present ta!

Suzuki Vitara: A bargain but the boot is tiny. Here here

Audi/VW: Had Audi's before the Skoda and was set to get Q3. Why would you when you get the same car with a Skoda badge for a lot less money?
Absolutely and why have Audi gone for too much tin and tiny arrow slit windows?
Mitsubishi PHEV. Had one. Never again.
Mechanical built quality superb. Body work made out of ex biscuit tins. Road holding and takeoff speed incredible.
Electric mileage per charge rubbish, 22 miles on a summers day 14 in the winter Over all fuel consumption a down right LIE. Best I ever got was 51mpg a 1/3rd of what they claim!
Biggest pain in the Rs was having to charge it constantly and if you charge away from home it works out more expensive than petrol!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
chrisluciofg said:
the reviews have the Ateca marginally ahead of the Kodiaq. i beg to differ. anyone else ?
I guess the stats don't lie. That doesn't mean it would come out ahead of the Kodiaq in a one on one test though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I had been after a 5 seater car then I would definitely have considered the Ateca.

We wanted a 6/7 seater vehicle that was petrol powered. It didn't even have to be SUV.
Believe it or not, but those two simple requirements narrow the selection of *all* possible cars down to just a hand-full. Or did, back in mid 2017.

The Kodiaq was the only serious contender. Luck would have it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Interesting thread...

I was after 7 seat 4x4 so I looked at...

Landrover Discovery sport
Mitsubishi Outlander
Hyundai Santafae
And the Kodiaq

The Disco sport looked great but the build quality on it was not that good and the engine choice was shite... plus like for like was a good £8-10 K more

My mate has a Outlander and I just felt it was a bit to plastic, a good car lots of deals to be had but I just felt it was bland and also not much engine choice. The dealer just kept trying to push the PHEV and I wanted 7 seats. Also the salesman live 2 houses upfrom me and he's a bit of a bellend! Lol

The Hyundai was lovely but again £7-8k more..

As soon as I drive the Skoda Kodiaq it was a no brainer, good engine range, great spec and fantastic value...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never looked in the 7 seater segment. in 2016 I test drived, CX5, CR-V, RAV-4 , tucson, tiguan,most with diesel

tucson best looking from outside, but plastic interior and smaller boot.
RAV-4 hybrid sounds nice and good for future and envirinment, but driving it on the highway is not enjoyable.
CR-V , big boot, nice looking, very low consumption, probably high quality build. But its older model, missing several assistances.
CX-5 (pre 2017 facelift). Nice car, it somehow invites you to drive sportier and faster, but I dont like that all the time.

Among them tiguan was my favorite, but the boot was still not big enough for my needs. Then I began reading kodiaq reviews and saw that it has lots of same technology as tiguan, but also bigger boot. And the price was practically the same for similarly equipped car. So kodiaq it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive an Ateca at the moment. It's a company car which if I retire before September I will have to hand back. It's a great car the only slight faults are that the boot isn't the biggest and 3 in the back is a squeeze. 99% of the time these are not problems.
I have the 1.4 petrol DSG technology. It's fast and comfy and looks great.
If I have to buy a car this year I am thinking the Skoda is very like the Ateca just a bit bigger. I don't want any more diesels due to doing low mileage and a lot of that around town. So I'd definitely consider the Skoda. I intend to keep an eye on the forum to see what I can learn. Also there are not huge numbers of petrol DSG Atecas on the used market yet and those there are seem expensive. I don't want to buy brand new because of the depreciation and it's unlikely I will be able to hang around waiting for delivery anyway. So I need some more options.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why doesn't the UK get th CX9? Seems a little strange

·
Registered
3 Posts
I currently drive an Octavia vRS Estate and have been looking at the XC60, Merc GLC, BMW X3, Q5 and the Kodiaq.

My preference is the upcoming Kodiaq vRS but may have to settle for a Sportline. It will come down to monthly price at the end of the day and whether the Skodais competitive to the others, because if I can get a BMW for similar monthly payments then it becomes hard not to choose it.

If Skoda UK pulled their finger out and confirmed full details on the vRS now then I wouldn't look anywhere else.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Marinfullsuss said:
A bit anorak-like, but when deciding on a new SUV last year I decided to average out on-line ratings (Autoexpress, etc - based on roughly 9 reviews of each car, which I assumed might average out any bias. It was worth an hour's work when considering a 30K purchase - along with test drives, etc). For what it's worth, here are the results in descending order (out of 5 max and Spring 2017 so may be different now)…..
Ateca 4.61
Kodiaq 4.59
Kadjar 4.32
3008 4.26
Tiguan 4.22
New CX5 4.13
Old CX5 4.12
Toureg 4.07
Sorento 4.06
Santa Fe 3.99
Sportage 3.98
X-Trail 3.91
5008 3.84
Tucson 3.79
CRV 3.69
Kuga 3.58
RAV4 3.18
I have had the dubious pleasure of a Santa Fe for a month (my Kodiaq is in for minor repair but they can't get parts - yes a month!) and I can confirm the Santa Fe sucks big time, stay away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Budgie said:
Why doesn't the UK get th CX9? Seems a little strange
I agree, it would definitely have been on my shopping list, and I think Mazda are missing a trick in the uk. Would imagine it's not here yet due to the lack of a Diesel engine, but tides are changing here (on derv) and they may eventually decide to launch (hopefully).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts