Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
So, good news, I picked up my long awaited Kodiaq yesterday after ordering last October. I went for the Sportline 1.5tsi in Meteor Grey with a nice handfull of options like pano sunroof and family pack.
At the time of ordering I was conscious to keep it under the £40k mark to avoid going into the high VED tax bracket. My car totalled to around £37500 with my options and I was happy to wait the 8 months until pick up.
Bad news, fast forward 8 months and I'm now informed by my Skoda branch that my Kodiaq is now valued at £40,040 at the time of registering it. So it now falls into the higher VED tax bracket. Instead of paying £165 per year, it's now going to cost me £585!?

My invoice clearly shows that's not what I paid for the car but the branch pretty much told me that it's down to Skoda increasing the cost and the DVLA for setting the price brackets and nothing can be done. If the car didn't take 8 months to be built there is a chance I wouldn't be in this position.

Has anyone else came across this similar scenario? Or does anyone have any recommendations if there would be any way to resolve it? Or am I now just stuck...?

P.s love my new car, drives like a dream!

Robert
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
631 Posts
I’m afraid you’re stuck - the VED is based on the list price of the car as quoted by the manufacturer, including factory fitted options, at the time of registration, not the time of ordering or what it says on your order form.

If it were based on the time of ordering, then everyone would order now for delivery in 3 year’s time.

Reactions: roberttraynor87

·
Registered
2022 sportline in race blue
33 Posts
Hey everyone!
So, good news, I picked up my long awaited Kodiaq yesterday after ordering last October. I went for the Sportline 1.5tsi in Meteor Grey with a nice handfull of options like pano sunroof and family pack.
At the time of ordering I was conscious to keep it under the £40k mark to avoid going into the high VED tax bracket. My car totalled to around £37500 with my options and I was happy to wait the 8 months until pick up.
Bad news, fast forward 8 months and I'm now informed by my Skoda branch that my Kodiaq is now valued at £40,040 at the time of registering it. So it now falls into the higher VED tax bracket. Instead of paying £165 per year, it's now going to cost me £585!?

My invoice clearly shows that's not what I paid for the car but the branch pretty much told me that it's down to Skoda increasing the cost and the DVLA for setting the price brackets and nothing can be done. If the car didn't take 8 months to be built there is a chance I wouldn't be in this position.

Has anyone else came across this similar scenario? Or does anyone have any recommendations if there would be any way to resolve it? Or am I now just stuck...?

P.s love my new car, drives like a dream!

Robert
same here. Ordered under the 40k but the Vat document sent to be me in post has a value of 40,456 on it. As much as I love the car it’s not a luxury model and the tax freshhold is so outdated not changing in the last 4-5 if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bad news, fast forward 8 months and I'm now informed by my Skoda branch that my Kodiaq is now valued at £40,040 at the time of registering it.
No way around this as the tax is set at the time of registration. I'm 100% sure the garage know what they're talking about but worthwhile double checking that figure because if the car TOTALLED approx £37500 8 months ago, then that's one hell of an increase! There's been an increase but not by that amount.

The reason I ask to double check is because the luxury car tax £40k limit is based on it's LIST PRICE not the on-the-road price you paid. That's to say it's based on the basic price of your car + any VAT + any optional extras. However it DOESN'T include the 1st year tax you had to pay or any other on-the-road costs such as delivery and number plates and fuel etc.

So... you have a 1.5tsi auto which produces between 164-168g/km Co2, the 1st year tax is £585.

What that means is if the actual invoice cost you paid to drive your car away was less than £40,000 + £585 = £40585, then you shouldn't have to pay that extra tax in future.

See what I'm saying? 8 months ago your car cost approx £37500 and now it's costing over £40585 ? That really doesn't sound right to me. But what do I know. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a dealer getting it wrong.

PS - now here's the bummer. If the garage are correct and you're £40 over, did you order things like spare wheel or floor mats etc? Because if you'd left them off the original invoice and bought them as accessories after you took delivery of the car then you wouldn't have qualified for the extra £320 a year for effectively the next 6 years. :cry:

What were all the options you added to the car and we can work out if it qualifies or not.

·
Registered
631 Posts
👆
Exactly this - check that the dealer hasn't just given the invoice price as £40,040 to the DVLA - there's a £55 first registration fee and that isn't included in the £40k threshold, nor is any delivery charge, license plates, fuel or dealer-fitted options. Just taking the first registration fee off (if the dealer has included that) would be enough to bring you under the threshold in your case.

Worth posting here exactly what optional extras you have and then people could work out what the quoted list price is currently for your vehicle.

·
Registered
631 Posts
According to the Skoda Configurator, the current list price for your car plus options is £42,265, before the other extras like Lifeshine, Motorline Bundle (whatever that is?), initial RFL and fee, so I’m afraid I can’t see a way you could avoid paying the extra tax.

·
Registered
2022 sportline in race blue
33 Posts
Life shine is the paint protection they threw that in for free as the motorline bundle was discount on the car if I took the paint protection lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is my order form from Arnold Clark from last October.
I dropped the Arnold Clark protect as I didn't think it would be worth it. But everything else is as it stands. Do you think based on the car configurator and current pricing that it would be under the £40k mark now?
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Magenta

·
Registered
631 Posts
Here is my order form from Arnold Clark from last October.
I dropped the Arnold Clark protect as I didn't think it would be worth it. But everything else is as it stands. Do you think based on the car configurator and current pricing that it would be under the £40k mark now? View attachment 2917
I’m afraid you’ll be over the £40k limit by some margin. Base 1.5TSI Sportline is now £38,815 without any options, so just the Pano roof tips you over now.

Reactions: roberttraynor87

·
Registered
631 Posts
Life shine is the paint protection they threw that in for free as the motorline bundle was discount on the car if I took the paint protection lol
Yes, I’ve got the Lifeshine as well and also had it on my last car. I also got a discount, but only the cost of the Lifeshine, so you’ve done well there! Sadly the discount can’t be applied to the value of the car so far as working out whether you’re over or under the £40k limit for tax.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m afraid you’ll be over the £40k limit by some margin. Base 1.5TSI Sportline is now £38,815 without any options, so just the Pano roof tips you over now.
This is why the system is confusing to many. Sorry Scratch but that's wrong. The quote price £38815 is the OTR price which has nothing to do with the £40k luxury road tax ( see my post above ).

A good indicator is to use the P11D value of the car ( which doesn't included 1st year tax etc )

P11D value = £38175
Sunroof = £1295
Total - £39460

So you could have a sunroof and be under the £40K barrier. What it means tho is you only have £640 worth of other options you can add before going over the limit.
Family pack is £195,
Digital Cockpit is £420
total - £615

so... Robert - if only you hadn't specified Crew protect + rear airbag then you could have had all the other options and still paid £165 VED a year. If you're only keeping the car 3yr tho, no worries if AC returned the extra outlay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's disgraceful if I read this right watching women's football that the price you agreed and paid for the car has shoved you into the tax bracket on a price rise you didn't pay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
But it's no different from how any other tax is collected. Taxes are based on the time you purchase something ( or in this case register it ) not when you place the order.

Back in Dec 2008 when the financial bubble burst, the Labour government's answer to a world recession was to reduce VAT from 17.5% to 15% here in the UK. Now are you guys saying that if you ordered a Kodiaq in November 2008, when you collected it in March 2009, you'd rather pay 17.5% VAT than 15% VAT?

What if history repeats itself and the new chancellor decides to reduce VAT. I'd suggest everyone who's placed a deposit on a Kodiaq would be delighted they didn't have to pay the 20% tax when they ordered the car.

Jaguar recently slashed the prices on some of their cars. If you'd ordered an XF at £43,000 and the dealer informed you the price changed to £38,000, would you insist the price when you ordered?

That's how paying tax works.

My problem with the tax is what is why would you punish people for spending more money? Isn't that how you grow an economy? As for environmental credentials well... You can buy a 1.5tsi Skoda Karoq and pay £520 a year VED or buy a dirty 2.0 diesel 4wd Range Rover Evoque and pay £165. ( where did the OP get his £585 from? )

I think this rotten tory government haven't a clue when it comes to providing incentives.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts