Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My purchase of Kodiaq is slightly jinxed. I was supposed to get a delivery by this time. Revised timeline is Oct-17.
I am now casually looking at other options. I always felt Discovery Sport was small and expensive but now I have an option of 20% discount on Discovery sport through employee privilege scheme (family member).
So a Land Rover "Discovery Sport HSE Luxury" model is slightly cheaper than the Edition model I had ordered.
In view of this new situation, how does "Discovery Sport HSE Luxury" compare to Kodiaq. I have not driven either.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Depends what engine. The 180ps diesel sometimes buzzes the steering wheel at certain revs which I didn't like but the 240ps diesel doesn't and feels considerably faster in gear than the Kodiaq. The Kodiaq is more spacious (land rover boot dimensions are to the roof, not the boot cover FYI) plus feels more planted and refined on the road. If I actually went did more off roading than snowy roads I probably would've actually considered the Disco (even after driving 3 of them) but as it is the Kodiaq is better on the road (the agility and snappy DSG makes it feel faster about town, and has better body control), has more space and imo has a better interior.

If you can get the 240PS biturbo diesel with Incontrol Touch Pro (base 8" screen is crap compared to the Kodiaq's) for around the same price as the Kodiaq have a drive of one and you might like it. It's about 85% as good as the Kodiaq but then it's probably 85% better off road than the Kodiaq.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agree with Zach, the only time I would pick the Disco would be if I needed more off road capability. When I test drove the Disco it felt a bit low rent, and the base infotainment is really bad, a good generation or so behind. There is also still that nagging issue with reliability. 2000kms in and I don't have any regrets with my choice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
AndyH said:
Agree with Zach, the only time I would pick the Disco would be if I needed more off road capability. When I test drove the Disco it felt a bit low rent, and the base infotainment is really bad, a good generation or so behind. There is also still that nagging issue with reliability. 2000kms in and I don't have any regrets with my choice.
I also agree with Zach. I had a Disco Sport for 7 months but they ended up buying it back off me due repetitive quality issues.....though I'm sure they are sorted by now!

It was a lovely car to drive (I had the 180PS diesel) and certainly better off-road, but the Kodiaq is far better in most ways. Kodiaq is nicer to drive. The LR infotainment is crap.....very slow and laggy compared with the Kodiaq Columbus unit. Kodiaq beats it on space......and with the Kodiaq you still have a bit of boot space left with seats 6/7 up. I love the (opening) pano roof on my Kodiaq.....much nicer than the fixed glass roof I had on the LR.

A couple of minor things I preferred with the LR.......I felt the central storage areas (for phone, keys, etc.) were better.....and there were USB ports everywhere which was great.

Would I swap my Kodiaq to go back to the Disco Sport.......no way.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Sprower said:
I love the (opening) pano roof on my Kodiaq.....much nicer than the fixed glass roof I had on the LR.
I'm actually quite the contrary - I don't open my panoramic roof on my X-Trail for any reason apart from the tilt function as I don't like the wind noise from it being opened... I'd rather have one big pane that don't open rather than two smaller ones in which only one does...

Even with that said i still ordered the panoramic roof because the ambiance it gives with the sunshade open is just fantastic!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Zach said:
Sprower said:
I love the (opening) pano roof on my Kodiaq.....much nicer than the fixed glass roof I had on the LR.
I'm actually quite the contrary - I don't open my panoramic roof on my X-Trail for any reason apart from the tilt function as I don't like the wind noise from it being opened... I'd rather have one big pane that don't open rather than two smaller ones in which only one does...

Even with that said i still ordered the panoramic roof because the ambiance it gives with the sunshade open is just fantastic!
Totally agree re the wind noise, so it tends only to get opened when pottering locally at low speed.......but personally I still prefer having that option. And even just the tilt function is nice in terms of airflow / fresh air when compared to a fully closed roof. As always though, personal preference, and I was very happy with the glass roof on the Disco.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think the Disco is slightly better looking from the outside but loses out againt the Kodiaq in the interior, Discos are more chunky and plays on the offroad hertitage whilst the Kodiaq is more refined.

Kodiaq has better infotainment and technolout.

Driving wise the Kodiaq edges the Disco for on road handling and drivability but loses out on true offroad capability, that said I'm very unlikely to throw my car up mountains, dried out river beds and sand dunes. So Kodiaq makes more sense on a day to day basis.

To be fair there is little between them, both are decent cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Zach said:
- Particularly for passengers in rear seats.
I have sat in the back of some very luxurious cars (Merc springs to mind) and had a miserable claustrophobic journey, when all you can see is back of driver's headrest, and a dizzying vision of passing countryside through the tiny triangular back-door window.
That's just one of the reasons I went for an SUV format this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts