Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am booking a Kodiaq in a day or two. I have gone through every post on this forum and else where.
But need a final push from real Skoda users to confirm my selection.

I am planning to book a 1.4 TSI 2WD DSG but I am not fully sure if it's a right one or if I would need a 4WD car.

I am a very light user with less than 8k a year mileage and that will now be split with 2 cars (Hyundai i10). I mostly will be using the big car on weekends.
We are a small family with one 4 year old and 2nd on the way. But the grandparents will be staying with us quite often due to personal reasons.

So looking for a 7 seater which can ferry 4 adults and 2 kids occasionally and on some occasions fully loaded up for trips. The trips will be mainly urban or motorways.

I strongly feel based on my research 1.4 TSI 2WD is fine.
But my friends say just go for 1.4 4WD for peace of mind. But that is like carrying an extra load of 90 kgs as backup if need arises along with extra 2k initial cost.I plan to keep the car for a long time and usually do not change cars a lot. I had a Volvo S40 before but sold it after I got a smaller car for wife as the usuage was minimal.

Please help me chose the engine. I think diesel is out of question coz of my usage so it's mainly between 1.4 2WD and 1.4 4WD.

Second is related to trim. I was keen on SE L but want a metalic paint , leather and electrical driver seat adjustment.
When added to SE L it's only £500 more to get the edition which has much more fancy tech. I hope I am not missing anything here.

I have spent last few days researching a lot on Kodiaq and now badly want one. So need to book one in 2 days to get free Canton speaker and spacesaver l.

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sure the 4x4 in se spec was only 200 extra but for the seven seats you could add on for 1000 a bit cheaper if you would be happy with se .I took the se 1.4tsi 150 as the other 1.4 is underpowered and only really any use for city driving .but its all down to what fits you best .but the se spec might be a cheaper way of doing it .meant to say I took the 4x4 it was only 200 extra ,helps in the bad weather if the snow comes .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thomas. I didn't notice that the price difference between a 4WD and 2 WD is just £200 in SE but actually £1500 in SE L and Edition. I wonder why it costs 8 times more to add a same engine in SE L and Edition.
The specs are vastly different for SE and SE L and leather seats are missing.
I prefer SE L or higher as this is my first new car 😁. You have made a case for 4WD so again decision time.

Also if anyone could PM me a dealer who could offer freebies or a discount that would be really helpful.

A carwow dealer dropped 7.5k for a fully loaded top end Santa Fe quote. Skoda delaers have not any such enthusiasm. Even few hundred quids will do for me 😀

·
Registered
503 Posts
You would be doing very well to get a discount tbh.
Yes if you are going for the 1.4 and intending to have 4+2 often, definitely go for the 150 version.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good luck with whatever you decide... 1.4tsi 150 sounds more to your needs especially if you've got a full load. Inlaws and prams. Just seems too good not to take 4x4 at that price. Usually a lot more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's a strange pricing system. My dealer tried to talk me into sel to get lumbar support. 3000 more when the add on is £130 lol if you order before the end of Feb,you will get the canton sound system and keyless entry and spacesaver spare wheel. It's nuts lol

·
Registered
503 Posts
What it comes down to is if you feel the extra 1500 outlay and the 5-6 mpg less is worth it for you. You are the only person who can make that decision.
Even though, like you, I won't often need the 4x4, I think its nice to have it on an SUV.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
WELL!.
If it is any help look below to see what I have ordered!
I live in Poole so snow about every 2 millenia :lol:
I do have a SWMBO, but she lives 40 miles away across hilly Dorset in Sherborne (snow sometimes) we alternate between me going there and she coming here. Most use is me solo + hound with 'er indoors and two dogs at weekends
I have had 4WD before on 2 Discos, 1 Mitsubishi Shogun Sport, 1 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. 1 HR-v, & 3 CR-vs To be honest the only time I ever needed 4Wd was towing other cars out of the mire. The Discos and the Shogun sport were 'proper' 4WD systems with high and low ratio. The PHEV was permanent 4WD with no low ratio. All the others including Skoda 4WD systems are the 'Haldex' system which is only really playing at being 4WD. It is predominantly a FrontWD system and if either front wheel spins more than about 1/8 of a rev the power is sent to the rear wheels.
If you ease off the throttle it doesn't work, you have to give it some 'welly' to keep the front wheels spinning or the rear wheels will not push.
So after all that blurb. I would say that unless you are intending to do some 'soft' roading ('cos it sure as hell won't compete with a Landy or a Subaru) or unless you live in a snowy area, don't waste your money. It is more money, more to go wrong and the Haldex oil has to be changed every three years and it ain't cheap!
Right,
Now engines,
I think my thoughts on the dying Diesel are well known. Not as a present. (for my usage thank you) Petrol only.
For those of you new to Skoda. The 1.2 TSi engine is a phenomenal piece of kit. Often described as having the power of a naturally aspirated 2.0L. I would agree with that.

The 1.4 125bhp manual only will be, I think, too gutless except for town driving (and who wants a manual in todays urban traffic?) or for the Netherlanders where they never meet a hill more than 6'high! :lol:

I have driven a 1.4 DSG Superb estate and it is a ROCKET!
The 1.4 DSG Kodiaq (has launch control! WHY?) but using it normally will do the 0-62 sprint on 9.8secs (who cares? why don't they ever quote the far more pertinent overtaking speed of 50-70?) and claimed overall MPG of 44mpg (same as a 1.2 Yeti and not far off the 'real time' mileage I am getting of 41mpg)
So . To sum up.
Unless you are going fully laden, are towing or live in a snowy area don't waste your money. Go for the 1.4 150bhp
If you need to go faster than sub 10 secs to 62. buy a 2.0L TSi or better still a sports cat which the Kodiaq does not pretend to be.
Sorry to go on.
I am trying to compete with EMMA for the longest message! :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Colin for a detailed and experience rich reply.
I might do around 20-30 (max) fully laden (4 adults and 2 kids) trips in a year. I hope a 1.4 TSI 150 ps 2WD will be able to manage (with AC on etc). Rest of the trips will be 2 adults and 2 kids.

I was also considering the initial cost of 4WD, lower mpg and maintenance cost of owning a 4WD when sidelining towards a 2WD TSI.

I am still open to other experiences and advice on a 2WD 1.4 TSI vs 1.4 TSI 4WD for my situation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the reason im taking the 4wd is we get snow once or twice a year but when it does its here for a week at a time and not a lot moves well in it .and where i work the weather is bad and ice most of the winter .i dont do more than 8000 a year but i might do a bit of soft roading when i get it ...nothing too brave though lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can you test drive a 1.4 in a Yeti at your local dealer?

Fill the car up with passengers and you will have an idea what the performance of the Kodiaq will be with a couple of people in it, it's a big car so it is not going to be very quick but it shouldn't be painful either.
We all have different expectations of what is 'enough power' so only YOU can decide that one.

As for 2WD or 4WD? well the Haldex does indeed require an oil and filter change ever 40K miles (so about every 5 years for you) but it really is the best of both worlds rather than a 'true 4x4' as in you get the rear traction when you need it rather than all of the time. If snow is a concern then fit winter tyres... a 2WD car on winter tyres will out perform a 4x4 on summer tyres in the snow.
My only regret when I ordered my Superb (190 TDi) was not choosing 4WD.

With regard to trim levels in your case it's a no brainer... Edition all the way, you will never recoup the cost of options you spec so keeping them down to a minimum by upping the trim level is always the better financial option.

·
Registered
203 Posts
it would be nice to afford the edition but if your buying outright instead of leasing i think its all down to personal affordability..for me thats the reason im just going with se .suits my needs better .

·
Registered
203 Posts
good idea with the test drive though Gizmo68

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cheeky monkey Colin - I even had to google SWMBO! I am hoping to order my car tomorrow!

·
Registered
289 Posts
If driving in snow is the only reason for getting 4wd, then it might be worth considering 2wd and a set of winter tyres. In fact this is what I have planned to do. Front wheel drive in the snow with winter tyres is still an improvement on my current rear wheel drive runner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why buying a SUV with front wheel drive. You should then better consider a MPV. It is cheeper and more spacious .
You buy a SUV because it has AWD and can take you safely practically everywhere. You say you don't change cars very often and that you have a four years old son. In four years from now he will be eight and I assure you you will have to drive a lot in off-road and in the mountains. And the onroad behaviour of an AWD car is much better and safe than a Front Wheel Drive car.
Somehow, look at it as if it would be an insurance; it is better to never need it, but if something unexpected appears, it is much better to have one.
It is enough for just one time in your lifetime to remain stucked in the snow with two little kids in the car because you didn't choose wisely the drivetrain.
Money, believe me, it's the least important thing in life. Peace of mind, health, safety and the people you love are the most important !
Kodiaq is indeed a beautifull car. Good choice !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been subjected to lot of what if scenarios by my friends and family too. What if I get struck in mud, what if it struggles when going uphill fully loaded, what if is feels underpowered after delivery and what if I feel like selling it few years down the line and nobody is interested in a 1.4 2WD 7 seater.
My reasoning of low price and lower running cost was not acceptable to any of my friends.

Finally I succumbed to the pressure and ordered a 1.4 TSI 4WD Edition in Quartz Grey. Got a child pack, front sensors, back camera and Ariel view.

A dealer bit far away offered £1100 discount on carwow.com. I just took it as none of the locals offered discount and nobody had a car to look at or test drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Explorer101, great job on the discount - what they didn't tell you is you get your Kodiaq in 2018 :lol:

Seriously, I am very impressed!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts