Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove the Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150PS 4X4 DSG SE L today. I'll only mention the main differences between this and the petrol version which I drove yesterday:

http://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=407

Compared to petrol, diesel engine is a bit noisy. The Tiguan diesel was more hushed in comparison, although the Kodiaq is noticeably quieter than Kia Sorrento or Hyundai Santa Fe. The engine hesitates to put power into the wheels when starting, but once it gets going, oodles of power keep coming and it pulls really well. I also tried some bumpy roads. There was a bit of body roll, but not too much. It soaked up bumps very well without DCC. The 7 speed DSG gearbox was slick, only making its presence felt with gear change when you're trying to push it harder. The C pillars are large and rear camera is useful to judge whether you're properly parked in the bay or not.

The sharpest handling SUV I've ever driven is Jaguar F Pace; this isn't far off I must say!

Compared to my 2013 Mercedes E 220 CDI, the engine is slightly less noisy, but the bigger difference is near absence of road and wind noise.

Overall, I'm pleased that I chose the petrol version. It is more refined and quieter, and accelerates very well from start. My main driving is within city, and I have no interest in pulling a caravan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A useful comparison Bigboss - thanks.

"The engine hesitates to put power into the wheels when starting, but once it gets going, oodles of power keep coming and it pulls really well"
- this is a feature of all DSG boxes, not just on Kodiaq. The brain waits about one second after brake lights go out before engaging 1st gear - if you try to "beat" it, it gets confused. Just take foot off brake, think "one potato", and then accelerate.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KodiaqPetrolHead said:

"The engine hesitates to put power into the wheels when starting, but once it gets going, oodles of power keep coming and it pulls really well"
- this is a feature of all DSG boxes, not just on Kodiaq. The brain waits about one second after brake lights go out before engaging 1st gear - if you try to "beat" it, it gets confused. Just take foot off brake, think "one potato", and then accelerate.
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I managed two test drives. The first at City Gate, Watford, They invited me so I went and had a good drive round town.
None of the dealers or SUK seem to have a joined up system.
When they realized I had ordered elsewhere they lost interest and the sales person suddenly remembered he had a appointment.

A DSG SE L on 19" but with out the DCC that I have ordered. My first concern was a smooth ride. It is much smother than my S-Max 2 l auto on 18", in any of the drive modes.
In ECO drive mode you get that slight hesitation when pulling away but it nearly disappears in Normal and not at all in Sport.
It is very quiet, just a slight grunt when pulling hard.
The rest of the toys I will get to know later on mine .
Next Test the next day was a Hughes Aylesbury where I learn my car now has a build of week 16, was 15, expected mid may.
The car and drive was much the same, no DCC fitted. Again very comfortable and quiet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:

There are plenty of manual gearbox Superb & Octavia drivers complaining about the same thing, it's caused by the throttle pedal software, easily overcome by fitting a 'Response Control' box, this e.iminates the throttle lag (which is present on petrol and diesel engines)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts