Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After so much time researching the Kodiaq today was a momentous day as I finally got to see one in all its glory. The dealership was deserted with the one salesman dealing with another customer so I had as much time as I liked to have a close look.

This post is specifically about my biggest concern about the Kodiaq from day 1 - the 2nd row of seats and in particular the middle seat of row 2. We are a family of 5 with three teenagers so that middle row is crucial. My observations are as follows:

1. The overall width of Row 2 is fantastic however the middle seat is significantly narrower than the outer two seats. I didn't have a tape measure but I would say a ratio of 40:20:40.
2. The middle seat back and squab is much harder than the outer seats backs and squabs. I found the firmness uncomfortable.
3. The seat belt buckles eat into the width of the middle seat squab. You can feel them pushing against you when sitting in the middle seat
4. The contours of the side seats squabs of row 2 seem to "push" you away from the car door into to a more central position, creating further pressure on the middle seat passenger width.
5. The transmission tunnel affects the footwell of the middle seats so you place your feet to either side of it. However, there are raised bumps in the floor (the anchoring for the front seat) adding a further constraint to where your feet would naturally rest.
6. On a more positive note, the leg room for the two outer seats is huge.

I now have a big problem. I so want to go ahead with the Kodiaq, it ticks all the boxes apart from that middle seat. It will be of no consequence to many but for some it will be a deal breaker...

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
But the seats on either side are much wider than normal. Have 3 adults tried sitting in it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We found that with an adult sitting in the middle and an adult on the outside seat our shoulders were squashed against each other to the point of being uncomfortable. The two outer seats are a good width but as per point 4 above, the seat squab contour "pushes" you away from the door towards the centre seat. It's hard to explain so well worth a trip to the dealer to try out.

We didn't have the kids with us so could only try this out with the 2 of us.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Kodiaq Ralph said:
We found that with an adult sitting in the middle and an adult on the outside seat our shoulders were squashed against each other to the point of being uncomfortable. The two outer seats are a good width but as per point 4 above, the seat squab contour "pushes" you away from the door towards the centre seat.
This was the same as my experience. I didn't word it quite as well.

http://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=374&sid=4182883e293847e9d2c1705a67965384

·
Registered
175 Posts
This was why I was attracted to the Kodiaq when it was announced. 5 or 6 people can comfortably sit in the three rows (provided two are children or 'petite'). It opens opportunities for socialiable transport to events etc.
3 adults in the 2nd row of any car is for short trips only in my experience.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Kodiaq Ralph- this had always been my concern all along. As a family with 4 kids, the exact sizing of the middle row is crucial. Mine span 5 to 12 years sof the seats need to cope with a good number of early teens during its lifespan. I have to take booster seats into account too. I've come to the conclusion that this is no worse than rivals and have ordered on that basis but am nervous. I'm going into local dealer on Tuesday with all kids to check it out and test drive. Mine are younger than yours and so I feel I can get away with it for a good few years but as said am nervous.

For what it's worth its only 1cm less than my current ford smax but that has 3 equal sized seats - obviously the outer ones on kodiaq are larger. I'll post photos if get chance after fully loading it on Tuesday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neilysump - The s-max approach of having three individual, more equally sized seats in the Kodiaq would have been better in my opinion.

I agree that this issue is not restricted to the Kodiaq. Having looked at the 7 seat versions of the Discovery Sport and the X-Trail, the same issue exists with a very narrow middle seat. It seems that the only way to avoid this issue is to go down the MPV (Galaxy/Sharan/SMax) route or the larger SUV (Discovery 4 etc.).

A visit to the dealer will hopefully settle the issue for you, one way or the other. It would be good to hear how you get on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick note to say goodbye. The Kodiaq is great car and I've no doubt that it will be a massive success for Skoda. It ticked all the boxes for me apart from one, the ability to sit 5 adult sized people in comfort over long journeys.

Others will have their own views but my view is that the middle seat of row 2 is not a proper seat either in width, softness or leg room. This issue is not specific to the Kodiaq. The same very narrow middle seat can be found in many other similar mid sized SUVs and large family cars. I wish Skoda had split the three 2nd row seats more equally but they haven't so that the end of the Kodiaq road for me.

I wish you all the best for the future and happy motoring!

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's a shame - but i can fully understand the opinion.

I finally got to have a sit in the car with the family, and thought the space was a little tight all-in-all. Actual width wise its pretty much the same as s-max; legroom is a lot worse tho, especially when you have to shuffle one of the seats to make room for row 3. I actually didn't find the width of the seats a problem, and none of the kids commented on the middle row being harder in anyway, but my kids are aged 5-12, and is probably less of an issue for us.

We came to the conclusion to proceed with the car - the rest of it is beautiful, really nice, and with the leather it felt very plush. Certainly we felt that the compromises on space were something we can live with: 90% of the time, its just me in the car, and these days its rare we have a full carload unless off out for the day, in which case the space looks do-able. What's more important in those scenarios is that the boot still retains a useable size - that's not the case on many other 7-seaters, whether SUV (x-trail/discovery sport) or MPVs (touran).

To get a better solution would require either forking out another £10k to get a comparable xc90 or q7, or go for another MPV such as a alahambra/sharan (and i don't really fancy them at all - wanted to move away from that, despite how good the s-max has been). The kodiaq ticks so many other boxes (plus reasonable discount) that it makes sense for us for the next 3-5 years, and then see how the car market has changed. The kodiaq really is pretty darn top notch to me - our family loved it (well, when they weren't trying to destroy the demo car - agggh, bloody kids!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Best wishes Kodiaq Ralph and thanks for your contributions.

I would be interested to know what you finally plumb for with three in second row.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Kodiaq Ralph, thanks for contributions and highlighting 2nd row concerns. Good luck in your search for the ideal family car for your needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I posted the same concern on the topic "Owners". I must say of all the 4:2:4 style 2nd row middle seat of mid size 7 seat SUV, the best I've sat in is the new Outlander, but sadly it's the only thing I liked about the car. When I saw the soon to be released Peugeot 5008 SUV, it has 3 independent seats in the 2nd row I was excited but then the review showed that the headroom was terrible. I guess there's no perfection. Hopefully someone can try to do a detailed video review with 3 adults in the 2nd row and measurements even...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've tested 5008 on our local auto show. It didn't impress me at all. I am a gadget geek but display is only great when showing navigation in other modes it was just... no better than analogue one. Like in Espace the cockpit was tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts