Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving around in the snow this week I've noticed a couple of problems with The Kodiaq which are rather surprising for a Czech car...

The first is that the side mirrors get rapidly covered in grime and dirt after about half an hour when driving on snowy/damp gritted motorways so much so that you have to stop and clean them if you want to see.....Does anyone have an idea how to prevent this?

And secondly the sensor for the Front assist flashes up as impaired if snow happens to fall on that part of the windscreen (which isn't cleared by the wipers) again stopping and wiping that area will get them to work but it's annoying.

So for a car designed in the snow covered Czech Republic it doesn't perform great in difficult conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Because the front assist system is the radar box on the grille of the car. Don't know why it knocks out Lane Assist though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Try treating the surfaces with a water repellent such as rain-x etc, not perfect but it will stop the muck sticking to the surfaces as easy.
(also keep the heated mirrors off unless they are misting up as they dry the rain water making them dirtier)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I always leave the mirror heaters off unless first thing in the morning....I was wondering if there was some kind of shield to prevent so much spray hitting them?

Fairly stupid design fail though that should have been picked up very early in the process

·
Registered
137 Posts
Used to tie a strip of rag to the inner strut which would wipe them clean when at a reasonable speed. Not elegant tho.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I think the warning coming on is (as previously mentioned) because the radar sensor on the grill get covered.
Mine usually stops working when it's raining. Snow? what Snow? Almost unheard of in Poole! :lol:
Just another little built in electrical fault to annoy the hell out of us!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mirrors getting dirty in bad weather conditions is a design flaw? I've heard it all now. My windows get wet when it rains, there's surely something wrong there as well 😂

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
Mirrors getting dirty in bad weather conditions is a design flaw?
Well, yes. All mirrors get dirty to some degree, but we might expect nowadays that they have the edgings designed to serve as spoilers once the car is moving st speed and to encourage the flow of air/raindrops/dirt past the housing and away from the glass. My Roomster and Superb seemed to do that - I've yet to try the Kodiaq in the snow or salty slush.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep agree my Superb mirrors managed to keep themselves pretty clean as have most of my other cars BMW's Mercs, Volvos etc something in the design of the mirror definitely makes them dirty very quickly

·
Registered
421 Posts
DaveM said:
Hugh Fanism said:
Well, yes. All mirrors get dirty to some degree, but we might expect nowadays that they have the edgings designed to serve as spoilers once the car is moving st speed and to encourage the flow of air/raindrops/dirt past the housing and away from the glass. My Roomster and Superb seemed to do that - I've yet to try the Kodiaq in the snow or salty slush.
Seems like quite a bizarre complaint to me. I've driven all sorts of vehicles over the years and I'm sure the mirrors have all been subject to varying degrees of dirt and grime but I can't say I've ever felt it was that bad to cry that it was a "design flaw".

Water dripping from the roof straight onto the seat when the back door is open, now that's a flaw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure a few more people will be experiencing dirty mirrors this weekend with all the snow around

So would fitting front mudguards prevent so much spray/dirt from covering the wing mirrors?

Also anyway to prevent front sensors from being impaired....the warning lights came straight on after starting in the snow this morning?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
DaveM said:
Hugh Fanism said:

Water dripping from the roof straight onto the seat when the back door is open, now that's a flaw.
Same as Aston DB9 conv boot. Drenched everything in the boot by actually opening the lid!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Moko said:
I'm sure a few more people will be experiencing dirty mirrors this weekend with all the snow around

So would fitting front mudguards prevent so much spray/dirt from covering the wing mirrors?
Possibly. I've fitted mud flaps on mine very early on in ownership; thus far, I have never come across issues with spray on the wing mirrors. Would be interesting to know if others with mud flaps are free from this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an example had to stop twice on way back from Liverpool to London yesterday to clean wing mirrors and side windows enough to even detect traffic in other lanes. I'm not fussy by any means but if you can't see enough to change lanes safely then that's dangerous.

Weather was usual mixture of heavy rain, drizzle etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts